Review: Questyle Audio QP1R - With Multiple Headphone and IEM Pairings
Nov 29, 2016 at 3:18 AM Post #3,706 of 7,140
sub-par DAC with a fairly distinct "sabre glare"

As someone who uses ESS DACs regularly (LH Labs Geek products all have ESS DACs, OPPO HA-2, AudioQuest DragonFly), I have to strongly disagree that there's a distinct "sabre glare"; actually the QP1R made me realize even more so that the ESS DACs have a "sabre glare." That on top of the QP1R not even using an ESS DAC makes me question your unit's sound.

Comparing a DS DAC to a R/2R is kind of a lemons to bananas comparison. They're both fruit, but they have completely different tastes, and different ways to achieve that taste. I'm not going to be carrying around a BiMB in my pocket anyway, so the comparison to that is kind of moot.

I dunno about you, but a 25% difference in an audio is freaking huge. To think people spend hundreds or thousands of dollars on cables in this hobby for an arbitrary 5% difference in sound quality.

Nov 29, 2016 at 10:40 AM Post #3,707 of 7,140
finally it arrived

Nov 30, 2016 at 3:56 AM Post #3,710 of 7,140
I really love the sound of my QP1R, but after using the update to include TIDAL on my ak100ii (and how good of a job AK did implementing it IMO), I really am lusting after an ak380. I understand the QP1R basically gets me there (or arguably higher) in sq, but the idea of having one device that really does it all is quite appealing to me. If it was an upgrade somewhere around $500 I'd probably consider it a no brainer, but even with the prices the used ones are going at, I think I'll just live with manually moving files in advance haha.

Do you use tidal with the QP1R? How? Is it possible to download files freely as many as you want and use them offline, then drag and drop them on the device? 20 bucks / month, and having this option I never thought of. (How can they control their files then? People would get music and delete their account?)

Dec 2, 2016 at 3:22 AM Post #3,713 of 7,140
Hey everyone,

The new 1.0.8 firmware is finished!  As soon as it is online and live, it will be available for download.  If I am able to obtain the final version before it's available on questyleaudio.com, I'll link to it via Google Drive.

In the meantime, here are the 1.0.8 firmware major notes, at least from the beta version, as shown below (verbatim):

"1.  update USB DAC display issue (before, PCM format all show “24bit”, now it support show 16bit) 
2. Amend Japanese vocabulary 
3. correct the wrong display( Before, when playing, click “back” to album or artist, it goes back to item 1 album /artist) 
4 play by category, added “artist”—>”Album”—>”music”."

Dec 2, 2016 at 5:58 AM Post #3,716 of 7,140
Fantastic news on "4 play by category, added “artist”—>”Album”—>”music”. !!! 
bigsmile_face.gif

I haven't had a chance to check it out yet, but for a future release, is it possible to have it also do "genre" --> "artist" --> "album" --> "music"? Pretty please? 
bigsmile_face.gif

Dec 2, 2016 at 6:07 AM Post #3,717 of 7,140
It would be sad from my point of view, when there is no possibility anymore for playing random play mode for one artist because of the new folder structure (only possible to play one album of an artist randomly from now on)
But I can live with that

Dec 2, 2016 at 8:50 AM Post #3,718 of 7,140
I agree that would be a real miss, but (again without having tried out the new firmware) that would be very odd. I would have thought that almost every other consumer grade player has been able to do that very easily (random within genre, random within artist, random within album... depending on where in the hierarchy you call up the random function

Dec 2, 2016 at 9:34 AM Post #3,719 of 7,140
Hey everyone,

The new 1.0.8 firmware is finished!  As soon as it is online and live, it will be available for download.  If I am able to obtain the final version before it's available on questyleaudio.com, I'll link to it via Google Drive.

In the meantime, here are the 1.0.8 firmware major notes, at least from the beta version, as shown below (verbatim):

[COLOR=222222]"1.  update USB DAC display issue (before, PCM format all show “24bit”, now it support show 16bit) [/COLOR]
[COLOR=222222]2. Amend Japanese vocabulary [/COLOR]
[COLOR=222222]3. correct the wrong display( Before, when playing, click “back” to album or artist, it goes back to item 1 album /artist) [/COLOR]
[COLOR=222222]4 play by category, added “artist”—>”Album”—>”music”."[/COLOR]

Number 4 is perfectly what many people, including myself, wanted.

Dec 2, 2016 at 10:27 AM Post #3,720 of 7,140
So folks are dissatisfied already, though nobody has tried the updated FW yet? How is this possible? 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back