Review: Questyle Audio QP1R - With Multiple Headphone and IEM Pairings
Jun 21, 2016 at 9:45 PM Post #2,041 of 7,140
  Ya know, I like that they enlarged the font.  Now, couldn't they install a tiny program that reads the screen in voice.
All kidding aside, I love this player; waited for ten months for it to be released.  The sound is 2die4!  Why can't they make a firmware as good as FiiO's X5.  X5I's final FW was a good finished product, even though it's a mid-fi DAC.  The play-through function would have  meant less fiddling with the buttons for me.  Sometimes, if I activate the button with a slightly less positive contact, I can get lost in the screens of the player.  I hate having to run to my son to tell me where I am.
Oh well, there's always next time.

+1!
Cheers!
beerchug.gif

-HK sends

PS - I don't mean to sound down on the QP1R...I want it to succeed and to be the outstanding DAP I know it can be.  I want it to be my main home and portable audio source.

Jun 21, 2016 at 9:46 PM Post #2,042 of 7,140

New firmware is supposed to fix that.

So, how long will we have to wait for the next one...?  I guess I'm a little spoiled from owning a FiiO...those guys work with the customers (and Head-Fi folks) directly to make improvements and turn out updates (as beta builds) in a fairly rapid manner.
Releasing beta builds with increased functionality would make the wait for final firmware a little less painful...especially if it's months between builds.  I see great potential in the hardware that can be tapped to make this a top-of-the-line DAP.
Cheers!
beerchug.gif

-HK sends

Yeah!  Gotta give you a big thumbs-up on that FiiO comment.  It kinda felt they were right with you, working with us.  And the beta FWs were encouraging.  Maybe Questyle should give ol' Joe Bloggs a call.

Jun 21, 2016 at 9:48 PM Post #2,043 of 7,140

Yeah!  Gotta give you a big thumbs-up on that FiiO comment.  It kinda felt they were right with you, working with us.  And the beta FWs were encouraging.  Maybe Questyle should give ol' Joe Bloggs a call.

Wouldn't that be cool if we had a point of contact like Joe working for Questyle!  That would be awesome!  I think Mr. Bruce has too much on his plate to be that kind of resource.
Cheers!
beerchug.gif

-HK sends

Jun 23, 2016 at 11:55 PM Post #2,044 of 7,140
Can someone help me here?

I've tried copying the 1.06 fw zip and unzipped file into both the internal storage and one of the SD cards in my QP1R. After selecting upgrade in the system settings and selecting the yes option, the device displays the text "update file not found"

Jun 24, 2016 at 12:57 AM Post #2,046 of 7,140
Can someone help me here?

I've tried copying the 1.06 fw zip and unzipped file into both the internal storage and one of the SD cards in my QP1R. After selecting upgrade in the system settings and selecting the yes option, the device displays the text "update file not found"

The extracted file q1.fw must be on the micro sd card in slot 1

Try using a card formatted in FAT32  (I bought a 4GB card just for updates for my QP1R and my FiiO X5 Gen II).  The updates don't seem to work with cards formatted in EXFAT or NTFS.  And as mentioned above, use the number one microSD slot for updates.
Hope that helps...
Cheers!
beerchug.gif

-HK sends

Jun 24, 2016 at 1:02 AM Post #2,047 of 7,140
Hi all,

Review (first post of thread) additions:

Added update instructions with additional italicized instruction (further clarifying originally written instructions) to (Q31) How to update the QP1R.

Added subsections:

Firmware 1.0.6 Update Release Notes From Questyle (edited)

Firmware 1.0.6 Update Notes

I informed the powers that be with regards to observed actions of the QP1R, in hope that it will be resolved in a future update (the update notes explains what has been added).

Jun 24, 2016 at 1:07 AM Post #2,048 of 7,140

Hi all,

Added update instructions with additional italicized instruction (further clarifying originally written instructions) to (Q31) How to update the QP1R.

Added subsections:

I informed the powers that be with regards to observed actions of the QP1R, in hope that it will be resolved in a future update (the update notes explains what has been added).

What he said... 
wink_face.gif

Cheers!
beerchug.gif

-HK sends

Jun 24, 2016 at 1:13 AM Post #2,049 of 7,140
  Hi all,

Added subsections:

I didn't see in your (Q31) Post...Can you use cards formatted in other than FAT32...?  If so, I'll delete my above post (I did add the reference to your Q31 update instructions).
Inquiring minds...
Cheers and Thanks!
beerchug.gif

-HK sends

Jun 24, 2016 at 1:38 AM Post #2,050 of 7,140
  Hi all,

*snip*

When you talk again with the powers that be, can you ask them about offering some additional beta builds for Head-Fi users to play with?  I may be spoiled with FiiO's "modus operandi" but I'm kind of used to more frequent firmware builds so I can help wring out problems and provide feedback. I'm sure a lot of us would be willing and happy to help.  Thanks in advance!
Cheers and All the Best!
beerchug.gif

-HK sends

Jun 24, 2016 at 1:58 AM Post #2,051 of 7,140
My sd card was in the 1st card slot and FAT32.

However I think I know what the problem was. I was navigating the directories through my computer and the sd card in slot 1 was labeled X5 TF2 ( from my previous fiio X5 ) and this misled me to think it was the card in slot 2.

Anyways, thanks for all your help guys!

About the new fw, the first thing I notice is that while there were only 2.7k plus songs before, when I update media library now, there are 3.2k songs. Didn't know I was missing that many songs lol

Jun 24, 2016 at 1:57 PM Post #2,052 of 7,140
I just updated to the new FW without incident, I used the QP1R to format an old 2GB card to do the update. I like the larger font, great improvement. I took the advice to make screen shots with my iPhone of the settings pages so that sped things along. I neglected to take a shot of my EQ1 setting which was painstakingly calculated for my IEM's but luckily the update did not erase it :) So your EQ settings will carry over. Note that your Play Settings will revert to defaults.

I finally figured out that I had been confusing the Sleep function and Idle Power Off functions. So all is good now. But to explain further:
The Idle Power Off function ON will shut down the player after 10 minutes of inactivity. This is what I was looking for. The manual supplied with the QP1R states that it will shut down automatically when inactive AND outputs not connected but that is not completely true. It will still shut down with headphones connected if inactive (no music playing and no button pressing). Note that the Play Mode will have to be set to Sequence for the player to shut itself down with this function otherwise if you have music playing and wander off or fall asleep. It will just keep playing in the repeat or random modes.
The Sleep function is a one time use function. You select ON and specify a time limit and the player will shut down when that time elapses regardless of whatever else is going on. It then resets itself to OFF. So it can be used in the repeat or random Play Modes to shut down the QP1R.

Jun 24, 2016 at 2:08 PM Post #2,053 of 7,140
The idle power off function, which set to "ON", will shut down the player if the song is longer than 10 minutes and 10 minutes of inactivity regardless what is connected to it. I will update the review to further explain. I spoke to Alden Zhao from Questyle China face to face a few weeks ago and told him about this specific issue. Not sure if he understood, but Mr. Ball has been informed as well, so they know that I at least let them know in person about the shutdown issue. The solution for now (which has been discussed multiple times in the thread) is to set idle mode to "OFF" if you have songs that are being played that are longer than 10 minutes in length, of if you have issues with the player shutting down for any reason (besides a low battery).

Jun 24, 2016 at 2:13 PM Post #2,054 of 7,140
Ah, snap, just when I thought I had something to contribute! Kidding... I don't remember the previous discussion in the thread about songs over 10 minutes long. But I do remember shutting the feature off. I only played with it today after the update. Thanks for the reminder.

Jun 24, 2016 at 2:19 PM Post #2,055 of 7,140
Ah, snap, just when I thought I had something to contribute! Kidding... I don't remember the previous discussion in the thread about songs over 10 minutes long. But I do remember shutting the feature off. I only played with it today after the update. Thanks for the reminder.

Time has specifically been discussed - some with issues and some stating that they did not experience the same issues with longer tracks.

Shutting the feature off was discussed multiple times as people were complaining again and again - it's just that I stopped giving the solution as it seemed people didn't want to either read the thread for posted solutions or just wanted to keep complaining.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back