Review: Questyle Audio QP1R - With Multiple Headphone and IEM Pairings
Jun 21, 2016 at 1:38 PM Post #2,026 of 7,140

I'm also disappointed that I'm still stuck to "browse files" to select my music , this is a firmware sidegrade rather than an upgrade.
Thankfully I've received a new partner for my QP1R to lift my spirits  
bigsmile_face.gif
, after the Mee Audio Pinnacle P1 this is my second venture into high end IEM : Dunu DN-2002.

Inital impression : very good !
L3000.gif

I also have the DUNU DN-2002 and agree, it's a good pairing.

Jun 21, 2016 at 1:42 PM Post #2,027 of 7,140
  New firmware is out ! http://www.questyleaudio.com/uploads/file/20160621/6360212189787471455812490.zip

Firmware notes http://www.questyleaudio.com/uploads/file/20160621/6360213092866273893225708.txt

Still in Prague, untested yet. Will install it tomorrow when I get back to Paris :)

I also wanted to praise the software people at Questyle for taking into account my email remarks and coming back to me after three weeks to feedback about it.

I will remain hopeful that perhaps this is simply addressing smaller issues, while they work on some of the other suggestions, such as file play through and improved UI playback options.

Jun 21, 2016 at 2:04 PM Post #2,029 of 7,140

How this basic function, can still be overlooked, is beyond what I can fathom. Ranting doesn't seem to do any good, so it is what it is. Maybe one day, if I still have the player!

Have to admit that I'm about ready to put mine up for sale and move on to something that works better with a large music library. So many really simple things that are just not getting fixed. Library limited to 9,999 tracks and a playlist function that just numbers the playlists sequentially rather than using the name I gave them are my big hits. Such great sound that is so hard to get to listen to. I guess it's my fault. If I only wanted to listen to a couple of songs it would be easier.

If the library ever gets fixed, I hope that they don't limit it to 15,000 tracks because I'm already beyond that.

Jun 21, 2016 at 2:09 PM Post #2,030 of 7,140
That is why I let my own player go to a new home... Loved the SQ, but usability issues turned me off...

Now, if Questyle sold their amplification IP under licence to a DAP manufacturer that knows how to make a good UI, but has not so great sound quality (looking at you Sony!) then you really could have a giant killer.

Jun 21, 2016 at 3:48 PM Post #2,031 of 7,140
That is why I let my own player go to a new home... Loved the SQ, but usability issues turned me off...

Now, if Questyle sold their amplification IP under licence to a DAP manufacturer that knows how to make a good UI, but has not so great sound quality (looking at you Sony!) then you really could have a giant killer.

To be fair to Sony, much of the volume issue is caused by its dsp enhancements. Disabling this increases its max volume.....but still not to hd800 drivability levels though. I actually think the ZX2 has quite an individualistic character....hifi-y and lush with a liquidy top end.

Jun 21, 2016 at 5:35 PM Post #2,034 of 7,140
I have a question about the sleep function. It seems that it shuts down the player regardless of whether it is in use. So what resets the timer on this function? I only started using it after finding the player dead a couple of times when I forgot to shut it off. But now it is shutting itself off while I am listening to music.

Jun 21, 2016 at 5:47 PM Post #2,035 of 7,140
I have a question about the sleep function. It seems that it shuts down the player regardless of whether it is in use. So what resets the timer on this function? I only started using it after finding the player dead a couple of times when I forgot to shut it off. But now it is shutting itself off while I am listening to music.

It's a bug. I once thought that it only happened with certain files. I deleted those suspect files and then re-installed them, thinking that would be a fix but the shutdowns still occurs intermittently.

Jun 21, 2016 at 9:34 PM Post #2,039 of 7,140
New firmware is supposed to fix that.

So, how long will we have to wait for the next one...?  I guess I'm a little spoiled from owning a FiiO...those guys work with the customers (and Head-Fi folks) directly to make improvements and turn out updates (as beta builds) in a fairly rapid manner.
Releasing beta builds with increased functionality would make the wait for final firmware a little less painful...especially if it's months between builds.  I see great potential in the hardware that can be tapped to make this a top-of-the-line DAP.
Cheers!
beerchug.gif

-HK sends

Jun 21, 2016 at 9:41 PM Post #2,040 of 7,140
Ya know, I like that they enlarged the font.  Now, couldn't they install a tiny program that reads the screen in voice.
All kidding aside, I love this player; waited for ten months for it to be released.  The sound is 2die4!  Why can't they make a firmware as good as FiiO's X5.  X5I's final FW was a good finished product, even though it's a mid-fi DAC.  The play-through function would have  meant less fiddling with the buttons for me.  Sometimes, if I activate the button with a slightly less positive contact, I can get lost in the screens of the player.  I hate having to run to my son to tell me where I am.
Oh well, there's always next time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back