REVIEW: Qinpu Q-2 and A-3 Amplifiers and V-5 Speakers
Feb 19, 2009 at 5:47 PM Post #16 of 140
Hey Skylab,

I am seriously considering the A3 to drive a stax system, as larry suggested. do you recall what kind of inputs were on the back. I missed the info if you already stated it. I would like to run vinyl as well as a cd player on the same unit. possible?

Feb 19, 2009 at 6:52 PM Post #17 of 140
Quote:

Originally Posted by Keithpgdrb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey Skylab,

I am seriously considering the A3 to drive a stax system, as larry suggested. do you recall what kind of inputs were on the back. I missed the info if you already stated it. I would like to run vinyl as well as a cd player on the same unit. possible?

One mini-jack input and one set of RCA's. So you can run both.

Feb 19, 2009 at 9:23 PM Post #19 of 140
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Does the A-3 take banana plugs for the speakers?

Yep.

Feb 23, 2009 at 7:30 AM Post #20 of 140
Hey Skylab,

too bad you missed the super mini meet, would have been good to see you again. regarding the A3, I am almost ready to pull the trigger on this one. I would take your advice on not even bothering with the chinese tubes, even though I have no tube experience. you tested with a sylvania tube. would you recommend any other tubes on the inexpensive side? and, where can I get them? any links would be very appreciated.

HeadphoneAddict,
If I get this thing, maybe we can work out a swap so I can test the nuforce or travagans at some point. just a passing thought. unless of course your just going to buy this one too, you Addict!!!

Feb 23, 2009 at 1:28 PM Post #21 of 140
Yeah, sorry, but the snow was the final straw for my trucking up to Evanston on Saturday.

The 5670/2C51 that the A-3 uses offer a lot of options. The JAN-GE 5670 can be had for $5 per tube or less, NOS, and sound good in the A-3 and far better than the stock tubes.

The Sylvania 2C51 is better, but a little more expensive and a little harder to get. Still, we're not talking about much money - normally less than $10 per tube.

Some people rave about the Western Electric 396A, but these are $50 each usually, and do not make sense in the context of the A-3. Further, I was not very impressed with the 396A.

Feb 23, 2009 at 3:17 PM Post #22 of 140
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah, sorry, but the snow was the final straw for my trucking up to Evanston on Saturday.

The 5670/2C51 that the A-3 uses offer a lot of options. The JAN-GE 5670 can be had for $5 per tube or less, NOS, and sound good in the A-3 and far better than the stock tubes.

The Sylvania 2C51 is better, but a little more expensive and a little harder to get. Still, we're not talking about much money - normally less than $10 per tube.

Some people rave about the Western Electric 396A, but these are $50 each usually, and do not make sense in the context of the A-3. Further, I was not very impressed with the 396A.

great, thanks for the info. where is a good place to get the sylvania? and since I have to get two, I need a matched pair, correct? you dont have to tell me what that means, I'll find out. but I need to buy them matched right?

Feb 23, 2009 at 3:47 PM Post #23 of 140
Reasonably well matched is a good idea, yes. You can get the GE for sure on tubedepot.com - and probably the Sylvania, but you have to ask if that is the brand they are carrying.

Feb 23, 2009 at 7:13 PM Post #24 of 140
Quote:

Hey Skylab,

too bad you missed the super mini meet, would have been good to see you again. regarding the A3, I am almost ready to pull the trigger on this one. I would take your advice on not even bothering with the chinese tubes, even though I have no tube experience. you tested with a sylvania tube. would you recommend any other tubes on the inexpensive side? and, where can I get them? any links would be very appreciated.

HeadphoneAddict,
If I get this thing, maybe we can work out a swap so I can test the nuforce or travagans at some point. just a passing thought. unless of course your just going to buy this one too, you Addict!!!

I have an A-3 shipping to me today, and I'll test with powering my Stax transformers and post a review. I will try to source a couple of nice tubes too.

Feb 25, 2009 at 5:44 PM Post #25 of 140
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have an A-3 shipping to me today, and I'll test with powering my Stax transformers and post a review. I will try to source a couple of nice tubes too.

Very cool HA!! I look forward to reading that. If you could try it with the self biasing models, that would be especially helpful.

Feb 25, 2009 at 7:05 PM Post #27 of 140
You need a phono preamp if you want a use a turntable, and that is what you should ground to.

Feb 25, 2009 at 7:47 PM Post #28 of 140
Quote:

If I planned on using a turntable, does the A3 have a ground connection? I know it can take the RCA.. but..

You'd still need a phono preamp for RIAA equalization.

Feb 25, 2009 at 8:04 PM Post #29 of 140
is a phono stage a preamp? preamps at ttvj are all over 1k. phono stages are also very expensive, but less.

EDIT
Holy Crap, I just did a search on this, its a whole new mess of complicated!! Jesus!! I just want it to work!!! LOL

Users who are viewing this thread

Back