REVIEW: Purity Audio K.I.C.A.S. Caliente home headphone amp - updated with comments on regular KICAS
Jan 3, 2011 at 11:26 PM Post #376 of 395

Quote:

I have toyed with the idea of aftermarket cables for my HD 560, though putting $100-200+ cables on a headphone that I paid a quarter that for on Ebay is a bit questionable.  If I did so, it would be for just a shade of warmth without losing resolution (possibly gaining it if the cable were better than my original one).  But I see that cables are very controversial on Head-Fi, and since I've never tried, financial caution sends flashing lights.

I believe that is a wise move, particularly given the prudence you have shown in selecting an amp. Its easy for some on Head-Fi to forget that some of us have bills beyond an invoice from HeadRoom :)

Jun 13, 2011 at 7:47 PM Post #378 of 395
Resurrecting an old thread here to ask a couple of questions. First, to convert the standard KICAS version to the Caliente version, was it necessary to remove or add the jumpers? Second, were all versions able to convert between standard and Caliente, or just more recent builds? Thanks in advance... 

Jun 13, 2011 at 7:59 PM Post #379 of 395
from what I  remember, they are the same unit, where the caliente is a regular kicas with the jumper enabled. here is a link

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/329643/review-purity-audio-k-i-c-a-s-caliente-home-headphone-amp-updated-with-comments-on-regular-kicas/330#post_6097770

Quote:
Resurrecting an old thread here to ask a couple of questions. First, to convert the standard KICAS version to the Caliente version, was it necessary to remove or add the jumpers? Second, were all versions able to convert between standard and Caliente, or just more recent builds? Thanks in advance... 

Aug 4, 2012 at 6:22 PM Post #381 of 395
Aug 4, 2012 at 7:31 PM Post #383 of 395
Aug 4, 2012 at 8:06 PM Post #384 of 395
Quote:
He's got a lot of feedback here... http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/userfeedback.php?user_id=6003

note: I have no affiliation to the guy, nor have I ever dealt with him

Ah! thanks, maybe I'll shoot him a message 
biggrin.gif

No worries on the association bit, I know you're just helping out 

Aug 5, 2012 at 1:21 AM Post #385 of 395
Seems like a good price too. I had a KICAS for a little while and really liked it. More than the Apex Butte that I reviewed a little while back. 

May 17, 2013 at 1:36 PM Post #386 of 395
The KICAS Caliente is a great amp, I like it better than some more expensive amps I heard. In particular, it has a beautiful and alluring timbre and tonal hue few other amps at this price level have.

Unfortunately mine went sour, the right channel starting fading away. I found someone to repair and he thought it was the volume control that is the issue and swapped in a new one, but after a while the problem returned. I dropped Purity Audio two emails before and apparantly they are no longer in business and not reply.

For those who owned the KICAS, may I know if you have encountered the same issue, and what amp you have upgraded. I like a new amp which have great tone like the KICAS. Appreciate some advice.

May 17, 2013 at 2:08 PM Post #387 of 395
What exactly do you mean by the channel fading away? As in the volume started slowly dropping? all of a sudden or gradually over a day?

And swapping in a new volume pot fixed it temporarily? That seems rather strange...

May 17, 2013 at 2:44 PM Post #388 of 395
Quote:
What exactly do you mean by the channel fading away? As in the volume started slowly dropping? all of a sudden or gradually over a day?

And swapping in a new volume pot fixed it temporarily? That seems rather strange...

The right channel sometimes just become "jerky" and have hiss sound coming out, then gradually the volume lower by itself. Now and then the right channel just went away altogether for a while and then return again.

Yes it is strange indeed, such that the technican who do the repair could not discern the cause of the issue. He thought it was the volume control but apparantly he made a wrong diagnosis.

May 19, 2013 at 7:32 AM Post #389 of 395
What music do you listen to?  Oriel Mendelovitz of Purity Audio advised me to stick with the Regular for classical music.  Music with amplified bass might be another matter.

May 20, 2013 at 3:50 PM Post #390 of 395
Quote:

The right channel sometimes just become "jerky" and have hiss sound coming out, then gradually the volume lower by itself. Now and then the right channel just went away altogether for a while and then return again.

Yes it is strange indeed, such that the technican who do the repair could not discern the cause of the issue. He thought it was the volume control but apparantly he made a wrong diagnosis.

Based on your description I really have no idea what the cause of failure might be. With sound that intermittently comes and goes, my first guess would be a broken solder joint somewhere. Are you able to measure if there's any sort of offset on the channels? 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back