REVIEW: Purity Audio K.I.C.A.S. Caliente home headphone amp - updated with comments on regular KICAS
Jan 17, 2009 at 5:16 PM Post #226 of 395
Any word from your Caliente yet, Skylab?

Jan 17, 2009 at 5:18 PM Post #227 of 395
Quote:

Originally Posted by electropop /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Any word from your Caliente yet, Skylab?

No, and I don't expect to get any. It was stolen, plain and simple - hard to imagine the thief suddenly returning it now.

Jan 17, 2009 at 6:05 PM Post #228 of 395
Hmph.. So the stuff about the 'medical issues' and the Orlando flood were just a load of BS?

Damn that really sucks. Sorry to have brought it up
frown.gif

Jan 22, 2009 at 6:25 PM Post #230 of 395
Jan 23, 2009 at 4:54 AM Post #232 of 395
I am enjoy using the Caliente amp with my AKG k701s as it helps to warm them up a touch

Jan 23, 2009 at 5:58 AM Post #233 of 395
Quote:

Originally Posted by nauxolo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Anyone know how this amp works with the Grado RS-1 and the Audio Technica ESW10JPN?

What kind of 'phones are best for this amp

I'm going to find out. I've yet to try out a desktop SS amp (only hybrids and tubes so far), so I'm pretty interested in hearing the Caliente. The best SS amp I have is my pico (Cinenova Grande in my HT, but it's for speakers). I think the pico sounds very clean, I guess you'd say neutral, perhaps analytical. I actually liked the RS1 with the pico, but with the GS1000, I was disappointed.

The ESW10 sounds a bit lean to me with the Pico, so I think it would mate well with the Caliente. I very much enjoy the warmth, richness, and soundstage tubes can give. I'm interested in hearing what SS amps can do.

The synergistic combo for the Caliente seems to be with AKG headphones (K701/2). Some people also said it mates well with the Senns 6XX. I get the feeling it may not sound good with the GS1000 (or other bass heavy phones such as the Denon AH-D5000 or JVC DX1000) since the bass may be too overwhelming, but it's worth a shot. I got two other amps I want to compare it with. The EF1 (Hybrid) and LD MK III (Tube). They are all around the same price.

Thanks for the wonderful review. Also, the group buy price comes to about $325 shipped when you do the CAD to Dollar conversion. Very attractive.

Jan 23, 2009 at 3:21 PM Post #234 of 395
Quote:

Originally Posted by nauxolo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Anyone know how this amp works with the Grado RS-1 and the Audio Technica ESW10JPN?

What kind of 'phones are best for this amp

I just received a used Caliente amp yesterday and tried it briefly with both my Grado RS-1 and AT ESW10JPN. Early impressions are very positive compared to my Millet Max Hybrid amp. The Caliente mates nicely with these two headphones. In contrast, my Denon D5000s sounded better to me with the Millet. The bass sounded muddier with the Caliente. The ATs and Caliente combination was truly impressive. The bass was much sharper and deeper with the ATs and Caliente than with the Millet. Oh, and the Caliente helped soften the highs with the ATs and made it slightly less forward, which I appreciated. Hope that helps!
biggrin.gif

Jan 26, 2009 at 4:35 PM Post #237 of 395
Nice review but then you are the king
smily_headphones1.gif

BTW is that coincidental that K.I.C.A.S spells kick a**? Or was that kiss?

Jan 27, 2009 at 1:01 PM Post #238 of 395
Could this be the amp for me? Tube-like mids without the hassles of tubes?

Would it drive the HD 650's to their fullest?

Jan 27, 2009 at 5:49 PM Post #239 of 395
Quote:

Originally Posted by Vandal /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Could this be the amp for me? Tube-like mids without the hassles of tubes?

Would it drive the HD 650's to their fullest?

I've found the Caliente to drive the HD 650's to more of their fullness than the following amps: PPA with Discrete Buffer and STEPS, M^3 with Black Gate power caps and STEPS, Mapletree Ear+ Purist HD with a variety of 5751 tubes and NOS 12B4A tubes.

The areas in which the Caliente excels over the other amps are:
wider dynamic range, lower background/floor, greater ease and transparency, more credible presentation of spatial aspects of the sound, more natural acoustic spectral balance, tonal/timbral accuracy - overall a more credibly lifelike sound.

Jan 29, 2009 at 7:48 PM Post #240 of 395
Quote:

Originally Posted by sbulack /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've found the Caliente to drive the HD 650's to more of their fullness than the following amps: PPA with Discrete Buffer and STEPS, M^3 with Black Gate power caps and STEPS, Mapletree Ear+ Purist HD with a variety of 5751 tubes and NOS 12B4A tubes.

The areas in which the Caliente excels over the other amps are:
wider dynamic range, lower background/floor, greater ease and transparency, more credible presentation of spatial aspects of the sound, more natural acoustic spectral balance, tonal/timbral accuracy - overall a more credibly lifelike sound.

do you think the caliente would be a respectable upgrade over my 708b?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back