REVIEW: Purity Audio K.I.C.A.S. Caliente home headphone amp - updated with comments on regular KICAS
Dec 3, 2008 at 2:19 PM Post #166 of 395
From the Purity Audio website:
Quote:

220/240 Volt - International Customers

We are working to provide our international customers standard shipping and parts conforming to local power standards, and expect to provide this service in the near future – currently, our equipment ships with only a 110V, North American configured wall wart power supply.

The amp is neither 110 nor 220 V. It is 12V DC. And Purity Audio is working on coming up with a 220/240 Volt PSU which will provide the amp with the DC it is looking for. When is not stated other than "in the near future".

My best wishes to you in finding the equipment that will add richness to your life as you use it to listen to the music you love.

Dec 6, 2008 at 4:08 PM Post #168 of 395
Quote:

Originally Posted by nauxolo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
... Also, they [Purity Audio] seem to be out of stock. Does anyone know when PurityAudio will have more in stock?

As the very happy and recommending owner of a Caliente, I am interested in this as well. I found out that the principals of Purity Audio hope to meet imminently to finalize the changes they are thinking about going forward, which include:
  1. new power supplies including switchable plugs to cater to our international customers
  2. arrangements for international shipping (where possible)
  3. a change from the amp stocking model to a pre-order system (we will run a thread in the MOT forum, exclusive to HF) where people will be able to order the amp they want in the colour they want (red, silver, black) - we had a lot of problems trying to properly guess what customers wanted and we don't have the money to stock lots of everything; we plan to allow for up to 50 units (or 30 days, whichever comes first) for orders after which ordering will be closed and we will start building the next, custom batch - we will be shipping as each unit completes

I hope that others of you thinking about the Purity Audio offerings find this to be as helpful as I do. Seeing that these points address specific questions posted about the Purity Audio offerings, I am confident that at least a few of you do.

Dec 7, 2008 at 12:33 AM Post #169 of 395
I apologize if this has already asked...but I can't find it.

What is it that makes the Caliente sound "warmer"? Is it an eq, artificial second order distortion, or some unknown secret sauce?

I believe I saw someone asking if it was possible to mod an amplifier to switch between the Caliente and normal versions...but it looked like the answer was removed(maybe a sponsor issue?...I can't be sure if the response was even answering the question...hehe). Anyone happen to remember the answer?

Guess I'm just anal about intentional distortions...I like to know what I'm getting myself into.
tongue.gif

Dec 7, 2008 at 2:32 AM Post #170 of 395
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mikenet /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I apologize if this has already asked...but I can't find it.

What is it that makes the Caliente sound "warmer"? Is it an eq, artificial second order distortion, or some unknown secret sauce?

I was told by Purity Audio that the only difference with the Caliente is that they boost two bass frequencies by a small amount to help compensate for the lack of bass in some phone. That is the only difference, but anytime you add to the signal you will have very slight impact on detail and soundstage. This also adds to the preceived warmth.

I have pre-ordered the Caliente for my K601. They are expecting to build a new batch in the new year.

Dec 7, 2008 at 3:06 AM Post #171 of 395
Great, exactly what I wanted to know!

Now all we have to do is start an underground trade of caliente impulse responses(both original and "inverse") so we can add or remove the caliente when using a computer based source.
ph34r.gif

Just kidding...or...only sort of. I wouldn't want to upset the manufacturer.

Dec 7, 2008 at 4:05 AM Post #172 of 395
Quote:

Great, exactly what I wanted to know!

Now all we have to do is start an underground trade of caliente impulse responses(both original and "inverse") so we can add or remove the caliente when using a computer based source.
ph34r.gif

Just kidding...or...only sort of. I wouldn't want to upset the manufacturer.

Sorry mods, but I couldn't resist... Mikenet, I couldn't be upset about your suggestion b/c quite frankly I have no idea as to exactly what you said...
wink.gif

Dec 7, 2008 at 8:25 AM Post #173 of 395
Oh...

Since the difference between the standard and caliente versions was reported to be frequency response, you could basically "capture" the filter response and reapply it with DSP to the non-caliente version to clone the sound.

Alternatively, you could reverse it to un-caliente a caliente. It wouldn't be perfect due to component tolerances and the like, but it might be interesting.

I'm not aware of your pricing, and if that would cause you to lose sales or the like. Rest assured I don't plan on doing something like that and making it public. Just my hacker-mentality of trying to figure out why certain designs sound good...and how to mess with them.

No offense intended.

Dec 7, 2008 at 2:15 PM Post #174 of 395
Quote:

Oh...

Since the difference between the standard and caliente versions was reported to be frequency response, you could basically "capture" the filter response and reapply it with DSP to the non-caliente version to clone the sound.

Alternatively, you could reverse it to un-caliente a caliente. It wouldn't be perfect due to component tolerances and the like, but it might be interesting.

I'm not aware of your pricing, and if that would cause you to lose sales or the like. Rest assured I don't plan on doing something like that and making it public. Just my hacker-mentality of trying to figure out why certain designs sound good...and how to mess with them.

No offense intended.

None taken. what you are asking can be done digitally, of course. That's how Cowon makes their DAPs sound so good. In fact, that's how all professionally recorded music is treated! I can't/won't divulge our secrets, of course
wink.gif
, but consider the fact that music from a computer source will still have to have the ability to properly put out the waveforms as modified by the user (i.e. the hardware can't reproduce the waveforms if the frequency, amplitude and transient reconstruction are beyond the hardware's capabilities of reproduction).

Dec 7, 2008 at 6:47 PM Post #176 of 395
Very good suggestion....
I am interested in get this amp in the future, and this option would be very practical with my "diverse" headphones...
Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnnyLightOn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Perhaps the addition of a "normal"/"Caliente" switch would make things easier on your inventory while allowing K.I.C.A.S. owners to change sound signatures to fit their various headphones.
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 24, 2008 at 3:54 PM Post #178 of 395
they're currently "out of stock"
frown.gif

does anyone have any idea how long that normally lasts?

Dec 24, 2008 at 4:56 PM Post #179 of 395
Quote:

Originally Posted by oinkbanana /img/forum/go_quote.gif
they're currently "out of stock"
frown.gif

does anyone have any idea how long that normally lasts?

Purity Audio is a fairly new vendor, and they've made and sold out their first batch of amps and are regrouping to gather another batch of orders and to build and ship the ordered amps.

Here's a link to the response from Purity Audio when I recently asked about the availability of their headphone amps:
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f5/rev...ml#post5096261

According to that information, when you see their sponsored thread appear in the "Member of the Trade Sponsored Threads Forum", they'll take orders for 30 days or 50 units, which ever comes first, and then build and ship the orders as they are completed.

As I type this post, I'm using a Caliente and HD650 in my main rig to listen to some beautiful pieces for flute performed by Jennifer Stinton. All of the subtlest spatial and timbral cues are there which put me right at the performance, both flute and accompanying grand piano, including the exquisite variations in the column of air by which the flute produces its intoxicating sound.

Dec 24, 2008 at 5:30 PM Post #180 of 395
Oriel mentioned to me last week that the pre-order process should begin in early January. Keep watching for the thread. I purchase a K601 about a month ago and a used K701 last week but still don't have a headphone amp (using the computer's headphone out). It is tough being patient.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back