REVIEW: PSB Imagine mini Speakers
Dec 22, 2011 at 12:16 AM Post #106 of 149

Quote:
I'm running the PSB Imagine Mini's out of a Woo Audio WA5.  I tend to listen at slighty louder than speaking volume level.  Not to say that these can't easily be cranked with the Woo.   For my ear they sound fantastic.  Very dynamic, precise, clear, fun speakers.  Vocals are excellent.  Highs are absolutely there.  Bass is lacking as you expect for speaker this size. I've played lots of different music through these and they manage it well.  Female vocals are clear and full (Adele, Carol King) Male vocals are likewise deep an full (Angus, Harry Connick, Neil Young, Marvin Gaye).  Classical soundstage is good.  

The closer you are the fuller and more accurate the sound staging.  My listening room is 15 x 20.  When right up on speakers (at desktop distance) the imaging is disturbingly good.  Further out in the room, the sound is good, but image disappears.  Never expected them to fill a large room with waves of sound.  They make for beautiful atmospheric listening, and at times give you that head lifting what is going on response.  All in all I would say a fantastic bargain.  

Just for perspective when I was looking for a small pair of bookshelf speakers (with different amp) I compared the B&W 805D, Sonus Faber ($5k stand mount model), and PSB Imagine Minis.  Clearly these speakers are in different leagues. I was prepared to lay out the $5k.  That said, when I compared the value for the dollar, the PSB Imagine Minis came out on top by a long shot.  They are simply that good.  Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying these are speakers which should be considered side by side.  I am saying however that a very rational argument can be made that these are a fantastic choice.  

I enjoy them immensely and will hold these until I upgrade to floor standers.  At that point these will easily find another place in a bedroom or office... Lets hope thats none time too soon. 

If you actually gave them power I'm sure they would be 1000x better.
If wasn't such a weak speaker amp 10 watts you wouldn't even need to sit close because speakers sound better when you got a nice distance from them. 6-10 feet for bookselfs would be good.

Dec 22, 2011 at 12:24 AM Post #107 of 149
I would have to agree with this.  I tested 6-7 different speakers, including 2 other sets I currently own, over the course of three months for my small dedicated listening room.  I discovered that reasonably sensitive speakers, ones that are easy to drive - i.e. without a big impedance curve dip, were a perfect match.  In my case the Rega RS1 beat out several more expensive speakers and sounded better to me than the Imagine Mini.  I think the paper cone and 90db sensitivity was the winning combination.  If you are using a tube amp, I recommend trying the Rega speakers before committing to a low sensitivity, kevlar cone speaker.

Dec 22, 2011 at 12:45 AM Post #109 of 149

Quote:
Sounds like the  Rega RS1 might pair well with the Decware Taboo?

They are probably worth a try with the caveats that I haven't heard the Decware and also that I'm not trying to fanboy the Regas by any means.  In fact, while the RS1 has been a great match for me so far, I am using them as a stepping stone as I plan to move to a pair of ProAcs or Harbeths which seem to both be acclaimed matches for Leben amps.  

I was also concerned before trying Rega since they are notorious for lack of detailed, published specs for their products.  Try finding the frequency response for any of their speakers.  However, I have found that E1, the lowest note on a 4-string double bass, is clearly audible at 41hz.  Some of that is extension but I make the inference that the actual low end is probably 50hz give or take.

No matter what you decide, try some speakers that have a better sensitivity and that are an easy load for a low-power amp.  You may not need a high maximum volume, but that first watt should be giving you good punch (slam/impact/etc) without having to move closer or turn it up.  But if you plan to only use them on a desktop, pretty much anything should work OK.

Dec 22, 2011 at 12:56 AM Post #110 of 149

Quote:

They are probably worth a try with the caveats that I haven't heard the Decware and also that I'm not trying to fanboy the Regas by any means.  In fact, while the RS1 has been a great match for me so far, I am using them as a stepping stone as I plan to move to a pair of ProAcs or Harbeths which seem to both be acclaimed matches for Leben amps.  

I was also concerned before trying Rega since they are notorious for lack of detailed, published specs for their products.  Try finding the frequency response for any of their speakers.  However, I have found that E1, the lowest note on a 4-string double bass, is clearly audible at 41hz.  Some of that is extension but I make the inference that the actual low end is probably 50hz give or take.

No matter what you decide, try some speakers that have a better sensitivity and that are an easy load for a low-power amp.  You may not need a high maximum volume, but that first watt should be giving you good punch (slam/impact/etc) without having to move closer or turn it up.  But if you plan to only use them on a desktop, pretty much anything should work OK.

Funny thing for me. I've had high end speaker rigs since 1980 all of them full range and I've never once in all that time looked at specs for frequency response.  Not for speakers or any other piece of gear.   I still haven't looked at the graph that came with my LCD-2's  What for?  Does it really matter?

I just realized that Rega makes the Brio-R also.   

Dec 22, 2011 at 10:21 AM Post #111 of 149

Quote:
Funny thing for me. I've had high end speaker rigs since 1980 all of them full range and I've never once in all that time looked at specs for frequency response.  Not for speakers or any other piece of gear.   I still haven't looked at the graph that came with my LCD-2's  What for?  Does it really matter?

I just realized that Rega makes the Brio-R also.   

It matters if you either need or like to know how a piece of gear will perform before you purchase it.
smile.gif
  Many people buy cars, even luxury vehicles, without knowing the horsepower or mpg.  But then again, when they can't go 0-60 in less than 8 sec...some specs take on new significance.

The frequency response curve will show minimum impedance and the specs should show sensitivity which basically informs how easy the load will be to drive and is significant data for use with a lower powered amp.  Likewise, using simple math you can calculate how loud the speakers go.  The sensitivity rating is usually 1w/1m so with a 5-watt amp a speaker at 86db will be 86db at 1w and 93.5db at 5w.  Now move out further than 1m and into a room and things go down from there.  But that first watt is important in terms of whether the speaker will sound right or sluggish with a low-powered tube amp, IMO.  Furthermore, knowing at least the low frequency of the speaker is important since that indicates how low the bass will be.  I wouldn't buy a speaker with an LF cutoff higher than 60hz and even then most of those are recommended for use with a sub which I don't like personally.

Some people don't care for specs and that's OK too.  You can't really tell how something will sound with a graph. In the end, I'm probably more like you in preferring my ears over all else.  But experience has taught me eyes are good too when it comes to some key data. Tech specs are like looking at wireframe or line drawing with no fill, no color.  However,  I typically like to know the picture is of a brick building and not a cardboard box ahead of time.  
smile.gif
   I'm not saying that's the case here with any of the speakers being discussed, but you get the idea...

Dec 22, 2011 at 8:59 PM Post #112 of 149

Quote:
If you actually gave them power I'm sure they would be 1000x better.
If wasn't such a weak speaker amp 10 watts you wouldn't even need to sit close because speakers sound better when you got a nice distance from them. 6-10 feet for bookselfs would be good.

Couldn't agree more.  It was a very happy accident that the Woo drove them as well as it did.  Its really a good example of the first watt principle.  I was previously driving the PSB Minis off the Peachtree Nova (80 w per side).  The sound from the Woo simply is far better.  Just for further clarification, I have the dial on the woo less than 1/4 of the way up.  Condo space, so I just can't crank it, or space them adequately.  

Dec 26, 2011 at 12:35 AM Post #115 of 149

Quote:
I'm sorry if this came up earlier in the thread, but where can I buy these? I only see them listed at Crutchfield.com, and that place has really terrible reviews.

Hmm crutchfield is a good place to buy from in my experience.

Anyways there is only 2 other online authorized dealers of PSB audioadvisor.com and listenup.com

And a direct link.
http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=PBIMMI&variation=PBLK

http://www.listenup.com/PSB+Imagine+Mini-p-PSB-IMAGINE+MINI-p-12780358.html   although for listenup it says coming soon.

Other than that I don't know of any other legit sellers a lot of speaker companies still don't allow their product to be sold online only brick and mortar stores.
I assume since crutchfield,audioadvisor and listenup actually have brick and mortar stores they can sell some products online.

Dec 26, 2011 at 10:16 PM Post #116 of 149
I recently purchased the minis as my first speakers. I'm running them with an Onkyo TX-8050 receiver. I've seen that some places state the impedance is 8 Ohms, but the spec sheet that came with mine states they are 6 Ohms nominal and 4 Ohms minimum. The manual for my Onkyo receiver says I should set the impedance setting at 6 Ohms if the speakers are 6 Ohms or more, or I should set it to 4 Ohms if the speakers are less than 6 Ohms. Should I set the receiver to 6 or 4 Ohms? 

Dec 27, 2011 at 11:59 PM Post #117 of 149
Great review, super happy to see Steve reviewing here. $759 a pair OUCH..  I love my Paradigm's I am sticking with em' !!

Dec 28, 2011 at 3:25 AM Post #118 of 149
I'm still blown away by the PSB Imagine Mini every time I hear them.  I originally bought them to put in my basement headphone rig driven by my ZDT or Marantz 2240, but so far they've stay'd in my bedroom speaker rig in place of the Polk SDA CRS that I've happily used for 25 years.  With my 55-watt Yamaha receiver and Velodyne 8" sub I get great imaging, transparency and impact from this 2.1 rig.  I'd like to believe that these probably rival the Harbeth P3 that I heard at RMAF 2011 (although no chance to do a side by side comparison).  

However, the Polk SDA still have a little wider and deeper soundstage, with a more enveloping sound field in all directions, as a result of the SDA cross-talk cancelation.  But the PSB have a little better treble extension and micro-detail, now that the Polk are so old and seem to be losing some of their air and micro-detail.  I haven't tried them as near-field speakers as I'm using them in a room that is probably about 14x16 feet, and I can get nightclub volume levels out of the system without strain.

Dec 29, 2011 at 12:36 AM Post #120 of 149

Quote:
Are the PSB Imagine Mini's easy to drive?

They certainly don't seem to be power hogs, and are right about 89dB per watt if I recall correctly.  I'll get around to trying them with my 8-watt ZDT and 12-watt Nuforce Icon at some point, but I'm not ready to move them yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back