Review: PS Audio Power Plant Premier Power Regenerator
Nov 10, 2008 at 12:58 AM Post #61 of 87
I have had my PS Audio Power Plant Premier for One week now. First it runs cool NO heat problems. My unit has a newer fan unit. I have not heard the fan come on yet. If you buy one new and register it at PS Audio it has a three year warranty. I bought mine at Audio Video Logic- approved internet dealer. Price was $1599.00. I think this is a good audio investment. It makes the Zana Deux amp sound even better than before.
JP, I think this unit would improve that California A/C.
Best of listening to all.
David Pritchard

Nov 10, 2008 at 4:47 PM Post #62 of 87
Quote:

Originally Posted by David Pritchard /img/forum/go_quote.gif
JP, I think this unit would improve that California A/C.
David Pritchard

Nope. It wouldn't.

First, it would grab that filthy, dirty, asymmetrical California A/C (aka CA/C) by its goombas and throttle it into submission. Then, after the CA/C was thoroughly straightened-out, schooled, and pwned, then--and only then--would the PPP build it back up--carefully, lovingly--back up to the perfect waveform. Something we can be proud of: clean, pure, symmetrical.

Nov 29, 2008 at 2:04 PM Post #63 of 87
I always used to think that the best time to listen was 10pm onwards but after monitoring the input distortion as shown by the PPP it would seem around 4pm on any weekday would have been best, in the days before I used any type of power conditioning

At 4pm weekdays the distortion is around 1.2% rising to around 1.7 - 2% by 10pm.At weekends distortion is generallly higher - 1.8-2.0% during the day and upto 2.3% in the evenings.Output distortion is always 0.3%

Nov 29, 2008 at 11:22 PM Post #64 of 87
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob N /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I always used to think that the best time to listen was 10pm onwards but after monitoring the input distortion as shown by the PPP it would seem around 4pm on any weekday would have been best, in the days before I used any type of power conditioning

At 4pm weekdays the distortion is around 1.2% rising to around 1.7 - 2% by 10pm.At weekends distortion is generallly higher - 1.8-2.0% during the day and upto 2.3% in the evenings.Output distortion is always 0.3%

I get similar results as it must be the homes causing the distortions rather than the businesses. I also have the PS Audio Noise Harvesters and during the weekends, they go absolutely non-stop; contrary to what I expected.

Nov 30, 2008 at 4:07 AM Post #65 of 87
The PS Audio unit is interesting in it's display of incomimg A/C power. Here in southern New Mexico I see an incoming voltage of 122 to 125. The harmonic distortion ranges from 4 to 6.5%. The distortion ranges from .4 to .5 %. I do tend to see better input values after 10:00 PM.
I do not yet have a dedicated A/C line to my listening area but it is on my audio wish list! By all reports this is additive is improving sound quality.
David Pritchard

Jan 6, 2009 at 6:25 AM Post #67 of 87
I am trying to figure out if I should get PS AUDIO PPP or Shunyata Hydra 8. Can someone tell me the sonic difference between the two ?

Also, what's the technical difference between the black and silver version on the PPP ?
many thanks...

Jan 11, 2009 at 2:36 AM Post #68 of 87
Quote:

Originally Posted by markl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My PPP is maybe 3 degrees above room temperature, not exactly burning up. Many electrical storms have come and gone now, power has been zapped and house even struck by lightning, exploding the electrical box in the basement, but my PPP is still running as new, never an issue. I feel my gear is very safe connected to it.

Three years ago I bought several items of very high end American hifi, because I live in Scotland I also bought a huge beast of a PS Audio 1200
power regenerator to regenerate the British 240 volts down to USA 120 volts. I had it shipped to PS Audio on the west coast of the States who serviced it, upgraded the software free of charge and did a very reasonable price on shipping it to me here in the UK. It has been left switched on ever since, it does not run hot,does the job, and is very reliable. Great product,great customer service, great company.
Great revue of the updated product Mark.

May 26, 2009 at 4:36 PM Post #69 of 87
very nice.. looks like something I would want as well.
biggrin.gif

Aug 19, 2009 at 3:57 AM Post #70 of 87
My old P300 is still running strong after nearly 5 years (and I bought it used).

I don't run over 100 watts of equipment on it, so it does run hot when near 100 watts, but not dangerously so. I've only overloaded it once where it's thermal protection kicked in and shut off. But I hooked up a 46" DLP HDTV to it, fed off of a UPS battery, the absolute most torturous test possible. So, I definitely found it's limit.

I am currently running my Emotiva DMC-1 Pre / Pro and Smyth Realiser on the P300. I also use it to switch power off, since the Emotiva DMC-1 never actually turns off. I measured exactly the same amount of power used regardless of whether it was in standby or on. What a waste. That said, the P300 uses about 20-25 watts on standby. There is a good old power switch on the IEC inlet in the back, so I can shut if off completely when I'm not going to use it for extended periods.

When I have the chance I'm definitely upgrading to a Power Plant Premier, since I'd like to put the rest of my home theater on it, including my 50" Pioneer plasma TV, which uses up to 500 watts, and about 250 watts on average. It uses less than one watt on standby, which is remarkable.

I know PS Audio offered a Power Director and now their P8000 and P9000, but I don't need that web interface. I hope they add switched "zones" or individually or grouped outlets on the Power Plant Premier in the future. I'd like to be able to shut off power to components, and leave others on.

-Ed

Aug 25, 2009 at 9:46 PM Post #71 of 87
This product is crap.  Read my later post for update.

Recently got a b-stock black PPP from musicdirect. This replaced a slew of isobars and isolation transformers i had on the floor. Combine that with all new DIY AC cords and my setup is a lot cleaner. I've always wondered why my system often sounded better during the day, and now I know why! It looks like the THD is around 2.5% during the day, and upwards of 7% in the evenings. The PPP definitely improves the sound during the evenings!

The only complaints are related to ergonomics. As typical of hi-end audio, the construction is comically exaggerated to hernia-inducing weights. Seriously people, STOP making 25lb chassis for 10lb of electronics. My audio components are in no danger of being run over by a tank. Another issue is the 10 TON clamping force of the receptacles. Really, is that necessary? These power components are usually at the bottom of a rack fully of already heavy equipment that we have to reach behind, and needing to apply excessive force to plug in doesn't help. How about applying some of that "R&D" (lol) to actual engineering practices, instead of snake oil nonsense. A low insertion force with a lock would be whole lot better.

Finally, it's sort of odd that a $2k+ power device comes with a $2 cord and the manual still recommends using PS Audio filtering products between the wall and PPP. Especially considering that the PS propaganda claims:

"The Premier doesn't care what the quality of your incoming AC is; what comes out is perfect."

So why do we need to buy more crap? It's also funny that the PPP description on their site says about other filtering products:

"It's easy to use the Premier's THD analyzer to measure our competitor's claims. Simply insert any power conditioner or filter between the AC receptacle and the input of the Premier to see if there is an improvement. There will not be."

In short, the PPP does seem to improve dirty power, but the ergonomics of the device are terrible, and the PS Audio marketing propaganda is worth a chuckle.

Aug 25, 2009 at 10:40 PM Post #72 of 87
I see my PPP as the foundation of my whole system, I wouldnt be able to do without it, it is a fundamental piece, other components may change, but not this one. I had the hydra, the nordost thor, isotek sigmas, and they were very good, but still I had the issue of different hours, different sound. The PPP impacted my whole system for every single hour of the day, everything was more defined, noise floor disappeared and music was more liquid, this product is the real deal!

Nov 10, 2009 at 2:23 AM Post #74 of 87
Quote:

Originally Posted by GuyDebord /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I see my PPP as the foundation of my whole system, I wouldnt be able to do without it, it is a fundamental piece, other components may change, but not this one. I had the hydra, the nordost thor, isotek sigmas, and they were very good, but still I had the issue of different hours, different sound. The PPP impacted my whole system for every single hour of the day, everything was more defined, noise floor disappeared and music was more liquid, this product is the real deal!

Agreed. Although I can still tell that at the earliest hours of the morning (between 2 and 4 a.m.) in my apartment the audio quality is still at its best. But it's a far cry from where it was sans PPP. The difference now between anytime-of-day listening and the early morning hours is slight.

The PPP is a piece everyone should strive to own, especially now at the sale price!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back