review: pioneer se-monitor10r (exclusive, very long, pics)
May 13, 2004 at 11:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

terrymx

Headphoneus Supremus
headphone: pioneer se-monitor10r
type: close, mid-full size, dj construct
review gears: pioneer dvd-v555 ($500 dvd player), imp400, cmoy, k501

physical: they look well builted. made of hard plastic, i don't think it will break easily. the "headband adjustment level mechanism" is like the grado with the metal stick. there is a screw on each side so you can lock in the height of the headband, which is very cool because it keep your head size so you dont have to re-adjust everytime. the headband is splitted into two like the sony eggo, covered with fake leather. the earpads are also fake leather. i found out that it is glued onto the earcups, not worn into like others headphone. the earcups are 3.5in by 4in.

look: they look nice by themselves and decent on your head. except i dislike the tacky and jumbo "headband adjustment level mechanism" design (see pics). they could had design it simpler and smaller to reduce the headphone weight.

comfort: when first put on, i could feel a light clamping pressure which doesnt bothers or hurt, but it remind me that i have a haedphone on my head. after only 2minutes of messing with the fits and adjusting the headband height, it became very comfortable. the grip is very, very good and headbanging won't make them fall off. comfort is rated at about 8/10. though you will always feel some clamping force, it can be worn for a very long time comfortably.

sound:
bass: there is a good amount of bass and they are warm. impact wise they are a bit punchy, but more liquidy. the mid to upper bass are bouncier, like hitting a "hollow barrel drum". as the bass frequencies goes lower, it lose its impact and get flappier, but you can still feel the lower bass.

mid: the lower mid is the only part that's weaker than all other areas. they lose some details here due to being colored or overly smooth. otherwise, the rest is clear. very sweet high mids.

treble: treble is smooth and clea too. they are more fun than the other frequencies and "can dance" with certain music. the extension for high treble is good, which mean classical wont sound half bad on these.

sound in gerenal:
the soundstage is big and is exceptional for being a closed headphone. its good for all kind of music, except i think not the best for very heavy metal where you want more solid and powerful bass punch. it have a relaxing, nonfatiguing sound. almost neutral, but learning more toward the bright side, though no sibilance.

isolation: it does a decent job at isolating. in noisy enviroment, it only muffle down noises (like any other dj type headphone). it leaks a tiny bit amount, but can only be heard in a quiet room or your music is loud.

overall a good sounding headphone and nice features deliver at a good price.

pic: (deleted) check the link in my signature.

May 13, 2004 at 11:33 PM Post #2 of 8
Cool! I was thinking of getting these too.
icon10.gif

May 13, 2004 at 11:42 PM Post #3 of 8
Nice review! Whoa...my first thought was that the phones looked like a head clamp. You say that's a good value for the price...about what price range would we expect to pay for these phones?

May 13, 2004 at 11:47 PM Post #5 of 8
audiocubes has them for $99 and etronics has them for $65.

May 13, 2004 at 11:50 PM Post #6 of 8
oddball: i only know of two places that sell them, audiocubes for $99+shipping and etronics.com for $64+shipping. i thought it sound more like a $125 headphone.

lindrone: the earcup size is 3.5inches by 4inches. i dont have the v6 anymore, but it is slightly bigger. also they are more comfortable and don't sweat your ears (not mine atleast).

also i wanted to state that these are only 10hours burn in.

May 15, 2004 at 4:11 AM Post #7 of 8
ok, i went to my friends today and listen to my sony v6 with the audio technica at-m30 driver. it had a flat response comparing these, which is somewhat colored. i have a conclusion about these headphone now. the medium and lower bass is flappier. upper bass have punches. the lower mids are alot and very colorer. very clear trebles. the soundstage is big. suprsingly good for classical. very comfortable. much more durable and a tighter grip than the sony v6. earcups are bigger also.
also the sony v6 earcups is made of hardplastic too i believe. i just dont know why it always stay cold though.

May 15, 2004 at 8:55 AM Post #8 of 8
Just a note to say that 'monitors' are for audio engineers and mixing, whereas DJ headphones are for DJs in discos. The difference between monitor headphones and DJ headphones can be easily detected by comparing these, the V6 (monitors), the V-CRAP series and Technics DJ phones.
lambda.gif
lambda.gif

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back