[Review] Philips SHL3300 "DJ" Headphones - Most Underrated Headphone?
Sep 24, 2014 at 2:22 AM Post #76 of 458
I have yet to try the velour, so I can't make any judgements on how they sound, but for the pleather, they are pretty comfortable. Soundwise, you know the pleather will do well, as opposed to the velour, as no one has experimented with it yet.

are they with memory foam or the stock?

http://www.mp4nation.net/brainwavz-hm5-spare-earpad-1pc

or

http://www.mp4nation.net/brainwavz-hm5-thick-memory-foam-earpad-suitable-for-large-over-the-ear-headphones-1pc

from the photos I think they are the stock ones, but I could be mistaken...

Sep 24, 2014 at 6:23 AM Post #77 of 458
I have yet to try the velour, so I can't make any judgements on how they sound, but for the pleather, they are pretty comfortable. Soundwise, you know the pleather will do well, as opposed to the velour, as no one has experimented with it yet.

are they with memory foam or the stock?

http://www.mp4nation.net/brainwavz-hm5-spare-earpad-1pc

or

http://www.mp4nation.net/brainwavz-hm5-thick-memory-foam-earpad-suitable-for-large-over-the-ear-headphones-1pc

from the photos I think they are the stock ones, but I could be mistaken...

Mine are the stock ones, as the memory foam ones weren't available at the time of my purchase. I certainly wouldn't mind trying them, now that you've brought it up. :)

Oct 3, 2014 at 9:23 PM Post #78 of 458
photo with skullcandy mixmaster pads I got cheap off ebay!

Oct 4, 2014 at 11:20 AM Post #80 of 458
how is the change in comfort and sound??? Im also looking into replacement pads. the The JBL Synchros S500 earpads would fit nicely on mine but I wouldnt buy a $200 headphone just for the earpads

+1

How do you also find the depth of the pad?

And can I grab a link for the pads if possible?

Oct 4, 2014 at 2:18 PM Post #82 of 458
Unfortunately, the earpads were a lucky find on ebay, I have no link. 
I had the shp8000. The 8000 is curcumaural, nicely built, very comfortable. It was also very bassy, the highs did not come out well on anything except a portable player (due to low power), the shl3300 is the superior sounding headphone

Oct 4, 2014 at 3:26 PM Post #83 of 458
Unfortunately, the earpads were a lucky find on ebay, I have no link. 
I had the shp8000. The 8000 is curcumaural, nicely built, very comfortable. It was also very bassy, the highs did not come out well on anything except a portable player (due to low power), the shl3300 is the superior sounding headphone

Ah, good to know. I was a bit tempted because of the fluffy ear pads and weight-distributing headband. But I think I'd be better off with an extra pair of 3300s then.

Nov 7, 2014 at 5:32 AM Post #85 of 458
  So, after owning these for a good few months, I'm still loving them like day 1 with them. 

Anyone found any do-able mods for it? 

Love them too!! I have them on right now. I've gotten used to the clamp. The only mod is replacing the earpads because it seems like its impossible to access the drive without breaking the earcup.

I got some earpads from a friend but they were too small to fit correctly. they are 9mm in diameter and these earcups are 95-97mm

by the way, when are you going to write a review of these?

Nov 7, 2014 at 5:47 AM Post #86 of 458
Love them too!! I have them on right now. I've gotten used to the clamp. The only mod is replacing the earpads because it seems like its impossible to access the drive without breaking the earcup.

I got some earpads from a friend but they were too small to fit correctly. they are 9mm in diameter and these earcups are 95-97mm

by the way, when are you going to write a review of these?

Ah, I see. They're fine as they are anyways. :)

Maybe after exams. Won't be long, haha. But no promises as of now. I do reckon these headphones easily need more attention though.

Might order some memory foam HM5 pads soon.

Nov 13, 2014 at 9:59 AM Post #87 of 458
So, after owning these for a good few months, I'm still loving them like day 1 with them. 

Anyone found any do-able mods for it? 

Still my favourite headphones. I am reluctant to buy other headphones, because these really can't be beat for the money.

One weakness I found with the design was the connection terminal, i.e. the jack. It is not very robust and the straight connection is subject to bending.

I ended up sending mine away to BTG Audio to get a right angled Neutrik terminal; still waiting to get them back and I am going through pretty bad withdrawal without them. I also thought about getting a removable cable mod done, but the retermination was more cost effective.

Nov 27, 2014 at 1:05 PM Post #88 of 458
Finally had a chance to compare the copies I have of these headphones.

Despite my initial impressions, there appears to be variability in production.

As already noted, the ear pads have changed. Of the four I own, one pair has notably softer (in texture and firmness) pads. I haven't found that the difference in pads have made a significant change in sound signature.

More importantly however are the drivers (assuming the rest of the build being equal). The first three pairs I purchased at Harvey Norman were pretty consistent, with one pair having slightly less prominent bass without giving up any detail - notably the best and most balanced copy I have.

On the other hand, the fourth pair I got from Target is a bit loose on the lower end, sounding a little boomy. Unfortunately it hasn't really improved with burn in.

To summarise, 2 out of 4 sound great, 1 sounds amazing, and 1 sounds really good. YMMV, but at $35 from Amazon it's totally worth a try.

Nov 27, 2014 at 5:38 PM Post #89 of 458
I would really like to read comparisons with other headphones models of sub $100 price. They sound better than any other headphone i tried so far. Even the m50's of a classmate that I tried on once did not sound better than these (maybe im just too much of a noob to notice or maybe I needed more listening tests). I would like to hear about your comparisons, guys.

Nov 27, 2014 at 7:31 PM Post #90 of 458
For the price, the sound is very good. My main issue is they are very uncomfortable. They've got to be some of the largest on-ear earcups ever. At that size they should really have been over ears.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back