[Review] Philips SHL3300 "DJ" Headphones - Most Underrated Headphone?
Mar 5, 2014 at 2:13 PM Post #31 of 458
Agreed they sound amazing with their original pads, today I removed their pads with the ones from shp1900 and all the great bass gone they started to sound like 5905 :) this gave me an idea with shl5905 lol but I am not sure how to do...

Jun 25, 2014 at 8:39 PM Post #33 of 458
I got one- used for a few days- i'm impressed for price- less than 40$. The highs and mids loosen up after a few hours. it is still very bass heavy, but with clarity in rest of spectrum. small soundstage. Build is plasticky but seems solid enough. 

I had to compare these to the champ at this price- the JVc ha-rx700:

comfort- jvc - the jvc is curcumaural, but also huge.
portability- philips- see above!
sound stage- jvc- sits off your ear and has nice separation- the philips is plastered against your head. 
mids and highs-jvc- better clarity and airiness.
bass- philips- reaches very low-this is a bass head can for sure. 

overall i like the jvc slightly more, but it's a close call. for portable use, the philips is much better

Jul 12, 2014 at 1:35 PM Post #34 of 458
I bought these exactly 3 weeks ago for R550 ($51), and I can tell you one thing. they are the best I have owned so far. The clearity and (almost) neutrality of these is amazing. 

I was using Sennheiser HD419 (bought them for $60)  before these so I'm gonna be comparing these to that pair. I did do a bass mod on these. 

Build Quality: Hands down goes to the SHL3300. they have that rugged look and also feel firm and not flimsy like the HD419s. the cable is also longer, much thicker and part of it is coiled.

Portability: SLH3300 is foldable and has rotating cups and the HD419 has none of that.

Isolation: SHL3300 easily wins here. the clamping force is much greater and it blocks outside noise easily (-15dB according to the packaging). the HD419's cups fit loosely on my ear even if               I adjust the headband.
Comfort: SHL3300 is the heavier of the two, with more clamp force and leather pads. HD419 has velour pads and much less clamping force and I can wear them for hours without needing to                take them off. HD419 wins by a mile here.

SOUND QUALITY

Mids: the HD419 mids are recessed and it sounds darker therefore there is less clearity. the SHL3300 mids is the headphone's biggest strength. they are crisp, clear and not so fatiguing.

Highs: HD419 lacks highs, they seem too rolled off with little to no detail at all. SHL3300 on the other hand, the highs are present and I can pick up detail easily on many songs.

Bass: HD419 wins easily when it comes to the power of bass and the punch. but it does give necessary bass to a whole number of tracks that seem to be quiet. the SHL3300 has less bass, but it is very pleasant and has a lot of extension compared to the HD419. 

CONCLUSION: If I had seen these SHL3300 headphones first I would have bought them instead of the HD419 and save me an extra $10. the only reason why anybody would choose the hD419 over these is if they are a basshead and that they like a dark sounding can. the SHL3300 is more durable, better looking, with better quality sound. To me the price of these should be around $80-90 for the overall quality, therefore for $51 it is a steal. Im loving them and I hope they will last me a long time.

EDIT: These are definitely the poor man's ATH-M50's. same sound signature and all that

Jul 15, 2014 at 8:29 AM Post #35 of 458
Im listening to these things now and after a few months of use I must say Im still impressed for what they offer. I actually got a few of my friends to buy these for themselves and I believe some of them are now in search of better sounding headphones themselves as this headphone was a great starting point for them in exploring what is sonically possible for $100 and under. In any case I do agree with the comfort issue on these in regards to the ear pinching problem but In my case its not that severe and the pain goes away instantly when I take them off my head. All in all this is something id recommend for those looking to get the best bang for buck under $50, well, if you're in Australia anyways. This is on sale at Dick Smiths at $44 currently.

Jul 15, 2014 at 8:51 PM Post #36 of 458
It's actually at $33 on a discount site but unfortunately that site has a lot of negative reviews (thus far I haven't had any issues ordering from them though). I used a $20 off $40 coupon and there's free shipping daily around this time so basically got it for $13 (not counting the filler item). For $13, totally worth the try. Thanks to OP and others for chiming in on these.

Jul 20, 2014 at 1:03 AM Post #37 of 458
Just impulsively grabbed these from my local Dick Smith here in Australia for $42, and I have absolutely no regrets.

The sound is superb for a cheapo set of cans, and the build quality isn't a let down either. I'll give it a few days to settle, and see if it gets better or not, but so far, so good.

I did a quick on-ear to over-ear mod already, though. Sounds more open with better isolation if you ask me. I took off the stock pads and installed some Brainwavz HM5 pads, which I highly recommend, since I've yet to have them fail me on any given pair of headphones.

Jul 20, 2014 at 2:21 PM Post #38 of 458
Just impulsively grabbed these from my local Dick Smith here in Australia for $42, and I have absolutely no regrets.

The sound is superb for a cheapo set of cans, and the build quality isn't a let down either. I'll give it a few days to settle, and see if it gets better or not, but so far, so good.

I did a quick on-ear to over-ear mod already, though. Sounds more open with better isolation if you ask me. I took off the stock pads and installed some Brainwavz HM5 pads, which I highly recommend, since I've yet to have them fail me on any given pair of headphones.

can you provide pics on the cans with your HM5 pads on it? and how did you make it fit since the stock pads are round instead of being oval shaped? I find that after 4 weeks of use they sound even much better and surprisingly the pads don't feel like they are on-ear anymore. If you mess around with the fitting you can get a good seal that feels like over-ears and it won't pinch your ears anymore.

Jul 21, 2014 at 12:38 AM Post #39 of 458
  can you provide pics on the cans with your HM5 pads on it? and how did you make it fit since the stock pads are round instead of being oval shaped? I find that after 4 weeks of use they sound even much better and surprisingly the pads don't feel like they are on-ear anymore. If you mess around with the fitting you can get a good seal that feels like over-ears and it won't pinch your ears anymore.

Sure thing. 

I applied it just like any other ear pad. It's pretty easy to do, and the fit is great. The truth is, it doesn't matter if it's oval-shaped, or round, as long as you can stretch it over (which is not hard in this case), it will fit nice and snug. 

That's good to hear that over 4 weeks the sound will become better, because it's already pretty impressive out of the box. I was gonna leave the stock pads on, but for me, I'm just not a big fan of on-ear unless it's super comfy, and I had a spare set of HM5's laying around, so yeah.. Was totally worth the experiment. 

Jul 21, 2014 at 10:17 AM Post #40 of 458
Just an update. I've used these cans since 6pm to 12am today, and I can happily say that the HM5 pad switch is definitely worth considering if you're experiencing any sort of discomfort from the on-ear design. Still loving these.

Jul 21, 2014 at 4:48 PM Post #41 of 458
Just an update. I've used these cans since 6pm to 12am today, and I can happily say that the HM5 pad switch is definitely worth considering if you're experiencing any sort of discomfort from the on-ear design. Still loving these.

how is the sound changed compared to the stock pads? are the mids changed? bass more punchy? etc.. I would like to try out different pads on these but here in South Africa it is very hard to find stores that are dedicated to sound or headphones. the only other pairs I own now are the SennheiserHD419 and the Philips CitiScape Downtowns so I can't switch pads with these cans

Jul 21, 2014 at 5:48 PM Post #42 of 458
how is the sound changed compared to the stock pads? are the mids changed? bass more punchy? etc.. I would like to try out different pads on these but here in South Africa it is very hard to find stores that are dedicated to sound or headphones. the only other pairs I own now are the SennheiserHD419 and the Philips CitiScape Downtowns so I can't switch pads with these cans

To me, I believe the HM5 pad have made them sound better, if anything. Bass and mids have remained practically the same, although I believe the bass may be a bit more tight, but these are all very minor differences. The main differences are the increase in soundstage and the isolation is much better than it was before.

Jul 21, 2014 at 6:27 PM Post #43 of 458
To me, I believe the HM5 pad have made them sound better, if anything. Bass and mids have remained practically the same, although I believe the bass may be a bit more tight, but these are all very minor differences. The main differences are the increase in soundstage and the isolation is much better than it was before.

nice thanks for the answer. you should do a review of these when you have enough listening hours on them. I would like to know what other members think of them

Jul 21, 2014 at 9:08 PM Post #44 of 458
nice thanks for the answer. you should do a review of these when you have enough listening hours on them. I would like to know what other members think of them

Maybe sometime soon when I have time. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back