[Review] Philips SHL3300 "DJ" Headphones - Most Underrated Headphone?
Mar 31, 2019 at 8:39 PM Post #421 of 458
For those who want to read Slater's full post here, which contains the tutorial of the removable cable mod, instructions for replacing the headband fabric and other very useful tips, here's the text-only version:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1HGiVsqTHL3mgXnQgN8ONJnCmjP60I4m7/view?usp=sharing

Yup, I was tired of the other one. Plus that photo does a good job of summarizing me in 1 picture lol

I really digged your former avatar lol. I always thought it perfectly described the behaviour of the average Head-Fi user, who is never fully satisfied with the currently owned audio gear and is always trying to find an excuse to buy new gadgets!

Last edited:
Apr 3, 2019 at 9:24 AM Post #422 of 458
hi
ksio89

it's great when we do something custom made on our headphone. Great job, man. On the headband a leather fabric looks really cool. I thought about putting a leather cloth on my Shl3300, but I had a lot of trouble sewing. Then I put a thinner and lighter fabric. Or buy a factory-customized headband from Amazon or Aliexpress. I see you have 2 shl330, too cool. I would have thought to have 2 as well. You did an exemplary job in the hole around the 3.5mm jack, this sounds great. I've had the opportunity to try out the great Pioneer SE-MS5T headphone and they're similar in their sonority, I just find it with less sound stage. Very cool, you have been able to get the job done. Now just wait to get the ugreen cable to stay full. Congratulations.

Apr 3, 2019 at 10:56 AM Post #423 of 458
If you cut off the fabric headband cover, there’s a heavy duty rubber headband underneath that is embossed with the exact same “Philips” logo as the fabric cover had.

The only problem is the only thing holding the rubber piece in is the tension from the headband being in the U shape. Each end of the rubber piece goes down into the plastic part at the end of the headband where the adjustment slider goes.

I’m trying to figure out if I can find some sort of glue that will stick to the rubber and hold the ends inside the adjustment slider piece.

My point is that I’d be perfectly happy just removing the fabric cover. I just need to find a way to keep what’s underneath in place.

I did buy a zippered neoprene headband cover from Aliexpress hoping it would fit. It did fit, however the way that the earcup sections of the headband adjusts is a PITA because it rides so close to the upper headband. Therefore it hit the zipper. So that idea is out.

I think I have the solution though, and I just have to get the fabric and test it out.

I’ll keep everyone posted...

Apr 3, 2019 at 1:23 PM Post #424 of 458
hi
ksio89

it's great when we do something custom made on our headphone. Great job, man. On the headband a leather fabric looks really cool. I thought about putting a leather cloth on my Shl3300, but I had a lot of trouble sewing. Then I put a thinner and lighter fabric. Or buy a factory-customized headband from Amazon or Aliexpress. I see you have 2 shl330, too cool. I would have thought to have 2 as well. You did an exemplary job in the hole around the 3.5mm jack, this sounds great. I've had the opportunity to try out the great Pioneer SE-MS5T headphone and they're similar in their sonority, I just find it with less sound stage. Very cool, you have been able to get the job done. Now just wait to get the ugreen cable to stay full. Congratulations.

Thanks for the kind words man, I appreciate it. I tried to remove the headband fabric, but it was way more complicated than I had thought. What I did was just removing some of the Phillips scews in order to roll up the fabric and brush the peeling pleather coating with a tooth brush. I never felt much discomfort on top of my head, so replacing the headband isn't a priority right now.

And yes, it's cool having not only one, but two SHL3300s! I ended up donating one to my mom, as I still have two headphones for myself that are equally good. About the 3.5mm jack, we are lucky that the pieces come with round nuts, which fill almost all the space around the hole where the cable passed through. I'm so grateful to Slater for telling us the right 3.5mm jack to purchase, because as he has said, it perfectly fits the molded "well" and fills the entire cable hole, like they were made specifically for these headphones. I wonder how he found that jack would fit the SHL3300s, maybe he already some parts available and just got more units.

If you cut off the fabric headband cover, there’s a heavy duty rubber headband underneath that is embossed with the exact same “Philips” logo as the fabric cover had.

The only problem is the only thing holding the rubber piece in is the tension from the headband being in the U shape. Each end of the rubber piece goes down into the plastic part at the end of the headband where the adjustment slider goes.

I’m trying to figure out if I can find some sort of glue that will stick to the rubber and hold the ends inside the adjustment slider piece.

My point is that I’d be perfectly happy just removing the fabric cover. I just need to find a way to keep what’s underneath in place.

I did buy a zippered neoprene headband cover from Aliexpress hoping it would fit. It did fit, however the way that the earcup sections of the headband adjusts is a PITA because it rides so close to the upper headband. Therefore it hit the zipper. So that idea is out.

I think I have the solution though, and I just have to get the fabric and test it out.

I’ll keep everyone posted...

I had quite a trouble disassembling the headband, so I just removed the screws and rolled up the fabric enough to brush the peeling fake leather coating away. I had even more trouble reinserting the elastic end of the fabric in that plastic cover. About the glue, have you tried using contact adhesive like polychloroprene (Neoprene)? It's used for glueing leather, rubber, Formica and other materials, and it's also available in spray.

Last edited:
Apr 3, 2019 at 5:55 PM Post #425 of 458
Thanks for the kind words man, I appreciate it. I tried to remove the headband fabric, but it was way more complicated than I had thought. What I did was just removing some of the Phillips scews in order to roll up the fabric and brush the peeling pleather coating with a tooth brush. I never felt much discomfort on top of my head, so replacing the headband isn't a priority right now.

And yes, it's cool having not only one, but two SHL3300s! I ended up donating one to my mom, as I still have two headphones for myself that are equally good. About the 3.5mm jack, we are lucky that the pieces come with round nuts, which fill almost all the space around the hole where the cable passed through. I'm so grateful to Slater for telling us the right 3.5mm jack to purchase, because as he has said, it perfectly fits the molded "well" and fills the entire cable hole, like they were made specifically for these headphones. I wonder how he found that jack would fit the SHL3300s, maybe he already some parts available and just got more units.

I had quite a trouble disassembling the headband, so I just removed the screws and rolled up the fabric enough to brush the peeling fake leather coating away. I had even more trouble reinserting the elastic end of the fabric in that plastic cover. About the glue, have you tried using contact adhesive like polychloroprene (Neoprene)? It's used for glueing leather, rubber, Formica and other materials, and it's also available in spray.

I have this 3M Super 77 contact spray adhesive in a can. I wonder if it’s the same stuff? They also sell a #80 made for rubber and vinyl.

Although I would much rather brush off the pleather bits with a tooth brush than mess with making a new headband. So perhaps I’ll try that out on another pair I have.

Thanks for the great ideas!

Apr 4, 2019 at 3:06 PM Post #426 of 458
I have this 3M Super 77 contact spray adhesive in a can. I wonder if it’s the same stuff? They also sell a #80 made for rubber and vinyl.

Although I would much rather brush off the pleather bits with a tooth brush than mess with making a new headband. So perhaps I’ll try that out on another pair I have.

Thanks for the great ideas!

I'd go with the 3M™ Rubber And Vinyl 80 Spray Adhesive, at least the details indicate this is the most appropriate adhesive to glue the materials you intend to:

https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/company...0-Spray-Adhesive/?N=5002385+3293194236&rt=rud

Fast Bonds for Rubber and Vinyl
As a high-performance, neoprene-based contact aerosol adhesive, 3M™ Rubber And Vinyl 80 Spray Adhesive produces high- strength and fast-setting bonds for strong application results. This rubber and vinyl adhesive provides tough bonds that exhibit exceptional heat resistance as well as resistance to plasticizing oils. These resilient bond properties offer excellent long-term durability for performance that is built to last. This product is typically used to bond rubber, supported vinyl, leather, pleather, wood, metal and many plastics.

Apr 17, 2019 at 10:14 AM Post #427 of 458
Great news, folks, my Ugreen aux cable has finally arrived! The build quality is nothing less than phenomenal, it's really worth its price tag. The cable is braided and feels very sturdy, gives the impression it will last for a couple of years. The TRS connector housing being slimmer fits the 3.5mm jack like a glove. However, It's a bit shorter than I really wanted (1 metre long), but the only longer cable option was 2 metres long, which I considered excessive. A 1.2 to 1.5-metre cable would be ideal, but it wasn't available on ebay or Ugreen doesn't make them in this lenght. Maybe I'll buy a 0.5m extension in the future. But enough talk... Have at you!

WLAKFGz.jpg

Jul 15, 2019 at 4:16 PM Post #429 of 458
I just can't believe that this thread exist in 2019. I bought the SHL3300 around December 2014. till this they are still rocking (even the original wire is still working). After removing the Grill these headphones sounds amazing(feels like someone removed all the earwax out of your ears).
n0AOJzF.png

(only thing i regret is that i should have removed the grill earlier . It used to cause pain around my ears)
xzBxp9y.png

Can Anyone Confirm the Frequency range on their SHL3300.mine says 8-27000hz
while the below link says 18-25000hz
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/rev...rrated-headphone.697813/page-14#post-13333465

Below is pic of the box
cF1jwSA.jpg

can anyone confirm the frequency response on this thing

@Slater

Last edited:
Jul 15, 2019 at 4:51 PM Post #430 of 458
I just can't believe that this thread exist in 2019. I bought the SHL3300 around December 2014. till this they are still rocking (even the original wire is still working). After removing the Grill these headphones sounds amazing(feels like someone removed all the earwax out of your ears).
n0AOJzF.png

(only thing i regret is that i should have removed the grill . It used to cause pain around my ears)
xzBxp9y.png

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/rev...rrated-headphone.697813/page-14#post-13333465

Below is pic of the box
cF1jwSA.jpg

@Slater

I’m glad you love the sound with the grille removed! It is the best way to enjoy the 3300 in my opinion.

As far as the frequency response, I don’t have my original box anymore :frowning2:

According to the Philips website, it is 18Hz-25kHz:

https://www.philips.ca/c-p/SHL3300_28/headband-headphones/specifications

http://download.p4c.philips.com/files/s/shl3300_28/shl3300_28_pss_aenus.pdf

Attachments

• shl3300_28_pss_aenus.pdf
    589.6 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Jul 15, 2019 at 9:09 PM Post #431 of 458
n0AOJzF.png

(only thing i regret is that i should have removed the grill . It used to cause pain around my ears)
xzBxp9y.png

Below is pic of the box
cF1jwSA.jpg

@Slater

Welcome to the Philips SHL3300 club! Yeah, these heaphones are criminally underrated. You're lucky the cable hasn't crumbled in 5 years, but these cans are modding-friendly, as you can see from the images I've posted.

About your question, Philips website from my country also says the frequency range is 18 - 25.000 Hz.

Jul 16, 2019 at 5:21 AM Post #432 of 458
Even the Indian Philips site list Frequency response 18 - 25,000Hz . I Wonder why the box says 8-27000hz.

Even a Unboxing of indian variant of SHL3300shows frequency range of 8-27000hz.

Unboxing of American Variant shows frequency range of 8-27000hz.
Yesterday I played a 1Hz to 35Hz the driver seems to be moving from 1hz(heard some pop sound definitely not 1hz) . although i hear sound coming from 11hz(don't say i am crazy but I can hear low frequency sound around 11hz)

If you people want to see those driver responding to 1hz to 35hz. I can make and upload that video .

@Slater @ksio89 what does frequency range mean exactly

https://www.philips.co.in/c-p/SHL3300BK_00/headband-headphones/specifications

Jul 16, 2019 at 6:27 AM Post #433 of 458
Even the Indian Philips site list Frequency response 18 - 25,000Hz . I Wonder why the box says 8-27000hz.

Even a Unboxing of indian variant of SHL3300shows frequency range of 8-27000hz.

Unboxing of American Variant shows frequency range of 8-27000hz.
Yesterday I played a 1Hz to 35Hz the driver seems to be moving from 1hz(heard some pop sound definitely not 1hz) . although i hear sound coming from 11hz(don't say i am crazy but I can hear low frequency sound around 11hz)

If you people want to see those driver responding to 1hz to 35hz. I can make and upload that video .

@Slater @ksio89 what does frequency range mean exactly

https://www.philips.co.in/c-p/SHL3300BK_00/headband-headphones/specifications

The way they measure it on scale

On lower db scale the frequency response extends
On 0dB scale, it is 30Hz to 19,000kHz

On -3dB scale, it is 18.5Hz to 24,900Hz

On -6dB scale, it is even more extended

Users who are viewing this thread

Back