REVIEW: Ostry KC06
May 28, 2014 at 3:05 AM Post #2,026 of 2,536
I'm referring to the KC06As all having the same packaging seeing as they are the 1st batch. Where did you see me comparing the Kc06's tip selection?

As for the Kc06's tip selection being different, I remember someone mentioning that even packaging are different from the original ones Zelda posted. Different accessories are also included I believe.

May 28, 2014 at 10:38 AM Post #2,027 of 2,536
Uh no, my gold KC06 did not get the same tips as Zelda's too, probably batch difference. Dunno about KC06A's tips selection but why are you even comparing them?

yeah its a shame.....ostry's cost cutting. But vsonic ,its a piece of cake as far as the tips are concerned.

May 28, 2014 at 10:58 AM Post #2,028 of 2,536
Differences between gold and silver are?

Or is it just that the gold are more likely to be authentic?

Mine sound too good to be duds, ordered from MP4Nation, through Amazon.

May 28, 2014 at 11:05 AM Post #2,029 of 2,536
I'm referring to the KC06As all having the same packaging seeing as they are the 1st batch. Where did you see me comparing the Kc06's tip selection?

As for the Kc06's tip selection being different, I remember someone mentioning that even packaging are different from the original ones Zelda posted. Different accessories are also included I believe.

I just thought that bringing KC06A's tips bear no meaning to KC06's current tips selection. Oh well.

The color. :p

Some of the very first batch of KC06 has bass problem, since gold come awhile after the first batch it's guaranteed to have no such problem however since you got later batch (indicated by the lack of some tips, ironically) it's guaranteed that yours has no such problem also.

May 28, 2014 at 11:06 AM Post #2,030 of 2,536

I think bhazard had a silver that was a bit of a dud from possibly a first batch of KC06 from last year.  Since then it appears that there has been an upgraded silver version of KC06 (not A).  Guaranteed to have that new batch if you get a gold.  I have silvers, and I love them.  I ordered mine through Shenzhenaudio.

May 28, 2014 at 12:15 PM Post #2,033 of 2,536

Does it challenge the Tenore for "best buy in earphones bar none today" in your opinion? Or would you put them both on the pedestal?

Good question. They are both excellent buys, I would probably put them up on same pedestal, at this point in time.
I have to wonder if I'm going through new toy syndrome, or if I will tire of either of these quickly. Still for the price, both cannot be beat.

The Ostry's are mid-centric with terrific vocals. Really excellent vocal reproduction.
The Tenore's are more neutral with just a great range from bottom to top.

I've spent three or four times as much on earphones that haven't sounded as good as these two, but they are different with each having it's unique presentation. Almost like apples and oranges different.

Oh, and I have one other pair of inexpensive earphones to listen to, being sent as I type this, Original Xiaomi Mi In-Ear Headphones IF Commemorative Edition, otherwise know as the Pistons.

May 28, 2014 at 2:31 PM Post #2,034 of 2,536
It's funny, I've posted a lot more in the Tenore thread even though I like these better.  At first I found KC06 way better, but I learned later that I was getting a bad vacuum seal on them which affected it sound.  Now, I like them both but they have different purposes in my opinion.  If vocals are important to you, you can't go wrong with KC06.  In general I would say that with KC06, everything sounds close by.  The bass, the singer, the drums, the instruments.. it's like they are right there, next to your ears.  With Tenore, you're getting a more realistic sound, a dimensional sound where you might imagine them on stage, some further from you than others. 

Again comes down to personal preference so I try to be as neutral sounding as I can about this.  I use the following description to describe to the two different sounds:

Imagine a band is in the studio recording their album.  For Tenore, you're sitting outside with headphones on where the producer is sitting.  He's fiddled around the mixer, and has hit the Record button and you are listening to the song the way he wants you to hear it.  It's a smoother, more polished sound.  You can hear the fullness, the overall sound the way it was meant to be heard.  For KC06, you're on the other side of the glass, inside the studio the way the artist is hearing it.  It's a raw sound, there is a lot less dynamic but every instrument and audio source is right there for the taking. 

I love both sounds, but I love the rawness more for what I listen to mostly.  So for me it also comes down to genre.  If listening to a soundtrack or some classical music, I prefer listening with Tenore.  I find they do Rap quite well too, R&B is a bit of a wash, depends on the artist.  Pop/rock, if I'm listening to Coldplay, Kelly Clarkson, Mariah Carey, or U2 then I prefer KC06 because I want that vocal rawness.  Anything with acoustic guitar sound amazing with KC06.  EDM seem to work well with either one.  I'm *guessing* country sounds better on KC06..

May 29, 2014 at 2:35 AM Post #2,035 of 2,536
So these TTPod T1's arrived today. 
biggrin.gif

Comparisons coming soon..

May 29, 2014 at 3:37 AM Post #2,038 of 2,536
It's funny, I've posted a lot more in the Tenore thread even though I like these better.  At first I found KC06 way better, but I learned later that I was getting a bad vacuum seal on them which affected it sound.  Now, I like them both but they have different purposes in my opinion.  If vocals are important to you, you can't go wrong with KC06.  In general I would say that with KC06, everything sounds close by.  The bass, the singer, the drums, the instruments.. it's like they are right there, next to your ears.  With Tenore, you're getting a more realistic sound, a dimensional sound where you might imagine them on stage, some further from you than others. 

Again comes down to personal preference so I try to be as neutral sounding as I can about this.  I use the following description to describe to the two different sounds:

Imagine a band is in the studio recording their album.  For Tenore, you're sitting outside with headphones on where the producer is sitting.  He's fiddled around the mixer, and has hit the Record button and you are listening to the song the way he wants you to hear it.  It's a smoother, more polished sound.  You can hear the fullness, the overall sound the way it was meant to be heard.  For KC06, you're on the other side of the glass, inside the studio the way the artist is hearing it.  It's a raw sound, there is a lot less dynamic but every instrument and audio source is right there for the taking. 

I love both sounds, but I love the rawness more for what I listen to mostly.  So for me it also comes down to genre.  If listening to a soundtrack or some classical music, I prefer listening with Tenore.  I find they do Rap quite well too, R&B is a bit of a wash, depends on the artist.  Pop/rock, if I'm listening to Coldplay, Kelly Clarkson, Mariah Carey, or U2 then I prefer KC06 because I want that vocal rawness.  Anything with acoustic guitar sound amazing with KC06.  EDM seem to work well with either one.  I'm *guessing* country sounds better on KC06..

Great assessment. I think the reason soundstage hasn't been such a big factor in my headphone and earphone purchases is because I don't wanna be watching the band on stage, I wanna be the band on stage :). Also, larger sound stages seem to come, at least partially, by pushing mids back a little. Forward mids decrease soundstage. The further you get away from a sound, the less of its midrange you hear. At least that's what seems to occur to me.

May 29, 2014 at 4:08 AM Post #2,040 of 2,536
do tell!

(nice photo)

:)

I'll compare them when I give them ten hours of natural burn-in. But from first impressions, they are bassier than the KC06, and have slightly recessed mids. Other than that, they are not as clear, but are certainly not muffled or veiled. I guess you could say they lean a touch warm.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back