Review on HtC 10 and Sound quality (AQstic Dedicated Integrated DAC)
Feb 25, 2018 at 12:22 PM Post #1,141 of 1,164
Hi Steve,

Yeah I had mine for about 10 months and in that last month or so, I noticed the battery life (which wasn't all that great to begin with, though everything else was fine) was getting noticeably shorter a lot sooner than I expected it to, which is why I ended up getting the LG V30.

I think flowerman is asking though if it sounds any better than before Oreo was installed? My answer to that would be yes, but not based on direct experience. I talked to someone on here about the Sony Xperia XZ Premium phone, and he told me that after the phone got the Oreo upgrade, he noticed that it sounded considerably louder than before. He also noticed that Oreo gave that phone a 30% boost in battery life, and it was already pretty decent to begin with. So Oreo ftw!! Though Steve, if you're not noticing any of these, that would be odd.

That IS awesome that Oreo also gives ppl both AptX HD and LDAC. Both are on the cutting edge of the best wireless sound technologies available. IF I were to switch over to wireless, I would want both options as well. Or at least AptX HD, as you need a pair of Sony headphones or speakers to get the FULL benefit of its use.

I did consider the LG V30 too, but after I got the 10 I realised that I prefer to keep the phone for communication and Internet duties and use a separate DAP for music, so I didn't see the point of getting another phone with high-end audio capabilities.

I can't be sure if the HTC 10 is louder after the Android upgrade but it isn't quieter. It drives my Beyer T5p Gen 2 very well after the upgrade, as it did before.

I do have the Sony WH-1000XM2 and the LDAC connection seems to work very well, but I haven't taken the Sony/HTC pairing out on the road yet so we shall see.

Feb 25, 2018 at 12:36 PM Post #1,142 of 1,164
I did consider the LG V30 too, but after I got the 10 I realised that I prefer to keep the phone for communication and Internet duties and use a separate DAP for music, so I didn't see the point of getting another phone with high-end audio capabilities.

I can't be sure if the HTC 10 is louder after the Android upgrade but it isn't quieter. It drives my Beyer T5p Gen 2 very well after the upgrade, as it did before.

I do have the Sony WH-1000XM2 and the LDAC connection seems to work very well, but I haven't taken the Sony/HTC pairing out on the road yet so we shall see.

I C. Well both phones have audiophile-grade amps and DACs, but I could understand if someone wanted something "beyond" that. Though I've compared both to the $299 Oppo HA-2 amp/DAC, and they BOTH matched it in terms of sound quality IMO.

Ok that's cool. It's possible that it's louder then but perhaps you're not putting it up very high (which is a good thing lol) to really notice it vs. pre-Oreo. lol

Oh that's cool. Yeah that's a very well-rated NC headphone! Even better if you have LDAC which of course you do ON BOTH!

Sep 15, 2018 at 12:57 PM Post #1,146 of 1,164
To the HTC 10 sound quality lovers especially you Rockstar 2005 lol

Haha ok. lol

I actually sold my HTC 10 a while ago, like about a year ago. The battery life was really solid at first but about 10 mos in it started to noticeably diminish. So I sold it and bought the LG V30, which has INSANE battery life. I still praise BOTH phone's audio capabilities though! :L3000:

Sep 16, 2018 at 3:34 AM Post #1,147 of 1,164
Haha ok. lol

I actually sold my HTC 10 a while ago, like about a year ago. The battery life was really solid at first but about 10 mos in it started to noticeably diminish. So I sold it and bought the LG V30, which has INSANE battery life. I still praise BOTH phone's audio capabilities though! :L3000:

Same for me. :) I got a new battery and replaced it myself, my advice to anybody considering this, don't do it. It all went back together OK but the screen was damaged in the process, its very fragile. :frowning2:

Sep 24, 2018 at 4:29 AM Post #1,151 of 1,164
I recently bought myself a 2nd hand HTC 10 and I am very impressed with the sound quality on this smartphone. I am using Neutron music player on the HTC 10 and Sony XBA-H1 IEMs and the sound is detailed, clean, focused, loud and very enjoyable. The bass is tight and clean, the mids are good and the highs are detailed and sparkle like crystal. The instrument separation is very good. The HTC 10 sound quality reminds me of my Sony X1060 Walkman which was my favourite DAP. My only issue with my HTC 10 is with the poor battery life.

Last edited:
Sep 25, 2018 at 2:26 PM Post #1,152 of 1,164
I recently bought myself a 2nd hand HTC 10 and I am very impressed with the sound quality on this smartphone. I am using Neutron music player on the HTC 10 and Sony XBA-H1 IEMs and the sound is detailed, clean, focused, loud and very enjoyable. The bass is tight and clean, the mids are good and the highs are detailed and sparkle like crystal. The instrument separation is very good. The HTC 10 sound quality reminds me of my Sony X1060 Walkman which was my favourite DAP. My only issue with my HTC 10 is with the poor battery life.

Yeah I loved my 10 as well for audio. The amp is strong on it too. I would say it can get pretty loud when needed!

This excellent review talks in detail about the 10. Focus on the headphone audio section and any words/parts in bold. I think you would be interested in checking it out.

Yeah the battery life later on like 10 mos in started going south. But I guess most phones are that way. My LG V30 had INSANE battery life and still to a point does, but over the last month or two (which about 10 mos in also) I've noticed it's not holding up as well as it was 10-11 mos ago when I bought it.

Oct 25, 2018 at 2:56 PM Post #1,153 of 1,164
Haha ok. lol

Yeah I loved my 10 as well for audio. The amp is strong on it too. I would say it can get pretty loud when needed!

This excellent review talks in detail about the 10. Focus on the headphone audio section and any words/parts in bold. I think you would be interested in checking it out.

Yeah the battery life later on like 10 mos in started going south. But I guess most phones are that way. My LG V30 had INSANE battery life and still to a point does, but over the last month or two (which about 10 mos in also) I've noticed it's not holding up as well as it was 10-11 mos ago when I bought it.

Intresting to hear others views on the HTC 10...Man I love HTC Sense software and love the audio the phone produced. I used to be smug whenever I went on the the LG forums and see all the complaints about build quality of LG phones they used to get and so on. I had both the HTC M8 and 10 and they are my favorite phones. As for the battery life is it possible HTC used inferior battery compared to Samsung and the other OEMs? For me Ive had my HTC 10 for exactly 2 years and I still get 4.5 hours SOT time. The trick is not to not use it as advertised lol. If you play Fornite or other games on it and constantly heavy use it then the battery will give up after a year or so like my M8 did. With my HTC 10 I have switched off unnecessary, notifications and features and im care ful for how long i play games...in fact i just play games on my tablet when im at home. This strategy has enabled it to keep going, it now my second device becasue like others i did research and bought the LG V30. LG V30 has better battery is becasue it has a higher capacity AND it has the OLED technology which is known for better battery, LCD cant compare on that front.

AS for the sound of the LG V30 I actually believe it is night and day compared to the HTC10, some will say its a different tye of sound but for me its subjectively night and day better. Instruments are clearer and more separated whilst still having a lively musical edge and that is without the Quad DAC setting on! Thats not to say the HTC 10 isnt good now but if I have a choice of playing music Im picking up the LG V30 instead of the 10. I thought I was going to dislike the V30 becasue of all the hate it gets from the so called paid critics but actually really like the phone and the software isnt as bad as people make out it to be. The only thing I find difficult is the size of he phone, its HUGE for my hands, the HTC 10 was big enough but V30 is just over the limit of what is comfortable, whereas i could use the 10 with one had I definately need two hands to hold the V30 comfortably and I wish there was a side button power button, but apart from that the V30 is he natural successor to the 10.

Oct 25, 2018 at 5:20 PM Post #1,154 of 1,164
Intresting to hear others views on the HTC 10...Man I love HTC Sense software and love the audio the phone produced. I used to be smug whenever I went on the the LG forums and see all the complaints about build quality of LG phones they used to get and so on. I had both the HTC M8 and 10 and they are my favorite phones. As for the battery life is it possible HTC used inferior battery compared to Samsung and the other OEMs? For me Ive had my HTC 10 for exactly 2 years and I still get 4.5 hours SOT time. The trick is not to not use it as advertised lol. If you play Fornite or other games on it and constantly heavy use it then the battery will give up after a year or so like my M8 did. With my HTC 10 I have switched off unnecessary, notifications and features and im care ful for how long i play games...in fact i just play games on my tablet when im at home. This strategy has enabled it to keep going, it now my second device becasue like others i did research and bought the LG V30. LG V30 has better battery is becasue it has a higher capacity AND it has the OLED technology which is known for better battery, LCD cant compare on that front.

AS for the sound of the LG V30 I actually believe it is night and day compared to the HTC10, some will say its a different tye of sound but for me its subjectively night and day better. Instruments are clearer and more separated whilst still having a lively musical edge and that is without the Quad DAC setting on! Thats not to say the HTC 10 isnt good now but if I have a choice of playing music Im picking up the LG V30 instead of the 10. I thought I was going to dislike the V30 becasue of all the hate it gets from the so called paid critics but actually really like the phone and the software isnt as bad as people make out it to be. The only thing I find difficult is the size of he phone, its HUGE for my hands, the HTC 10 was big enough but V30 is just over the limit of what is comfortable, whereas i could use the 10 with one had I definately need two hands to hold the V30 comfortably and I wish there was a side button power button, but apart from that the V30 is he natural successor to the 10.

Yeah I had the M8 as well. Audio was decent on it, but I rooted it (etc) in order to get the Harman/Kardon mod on it which def improved the audio. But the 10 was definitely better. And yes, I would say the LG phones are even above that, though for me only for the stronger amp. I couldn't hear a difference quality-wise b/t the 10 and the V20. But maybe V30 is much better so that's why it was night & day for you?? Could be.

Oct 26, 2018 at 10:48 AM Post #1,155 of 1,164
Yeah I
Yeah I had the M8 as well. Audio was decent on it, but I rooted it (etc) in order to get the Harman/Kardon mod on it which def improved the audio. But the 10 was definitely better. And yes, I would say the LG phones are even above that, though for me only for the stronger amp. I couldn't hear a difference quality-wise b/t the 10 and the V20. But maybe V30 is much better so that's why it was night & day for you?? Could be.

Yeah, I heard some say that too, that between the V20 and HTC 10 it was a tie, that they had a maybe a different type of sound but neither was night and day better than the other. For sure the V30 is night and day for me (and others I'm sure). In fact, I would say out of all the phones I've ever heard its one of the biggest leaps in sound quality, and I've owned a few music focused smartphones... Including the Motorola C168, Sony W610i, Sony Zylo, Sony Xperia Pro, HTC M8 and HTC 10. I feel a little sorry for HTC, they picked up the music-focused phone from Sony when they dropped the baton. But for whatever reason HTC hasn't been able to stay relevant in the smartphone business and now they've had some of their best workers picked off by Google. I think competition in this area is good. Samsung audio isn't bad but nothing amazing when I've tried it. I haven't heard audio from an apple device so I can't comment on that. I really do hope the next time I buy a phone 2 years later that there is a company still pushing music quality and that all phone and that we still have a 3.5mm jack as I read the other day Samsung galaxy might lose the 3.5mm jack

Users who are viewing this thread

Back