Review on HtC 10 and Sound quality (AQstic Dedicated Integrated DAC)
May 4, 2017 at 4:07 PM Post #901 of 1,164
No, Boomsound has 2 operating modes:

1. With NO headphone jack connected, through phone speakers you can only switch between Music and Theater mode.

2. With headphone jack connected you can switch Boomsound ON or OFF by sliding the notification drawer and tapping "Android System" in the Boomsound notification, or going into phone settings by tapping on "HTC Boomsound with Dolby Audio". There you can switch ON/OFF the Boomsound profile and Dolby profile separately.

Here some screenshots:

I appreciate the help Pooj. I did agree that you could turn BoomSound off, but I also (later) said that the bad thing there is you also lose access to your Personal Profile, which I'm am not willing to part with. And I don't agree that it sounds better off, or else I'd just leave it off. I guess this is just one of those things not everyone on here will agree with. lol

Last edited:
May 4, 2017 at 4:20 PM Post #902 of 1,164
BoomSound is essentially the Personal Profile. OK - with or without Dolby added.
I also used Personal Profile at first but I feel I don't get the results I want (the changes in mids/highs are minimal, just more bass and volume). So if I want to tweak a bit the sound of a certain headphone I use the EQ in Poweramp or the "Equalizer Pro - 10 band" with Google Play Music for streaming.
I'm also fine with the volume level with BoomSound off.
But yeah, BoomSound is an useful feature and I see no problem using it if you get the results you want :)

May 4, 2017 at 4:50 PM Post #903 of 1,164
How is Jetaudio Plus vs Poweramp 3 Alpha?

To me they sound the same. Neutron player sounded worse. Jetaudio Plus has a HRA (high res audio) option and probably accesses the DAC in the same way as Poweramp alpha does. I prefer to correct my headphone's uneven frequeny response using Jetaudio's 20 band EQ so I already uninstalled Poweramp.

I can indeed turn off Boomsound. Sounds flatter then but somehow it seems resolution is higher with Boomsound turned on ? I still need to play around with different settings to achive best sound quality.

@RockStar2005 To me Chord Mojo does not sound better or worse than HTC 10 - it just sounds different. Mojo simply sounds punchier and crisper and contrary to that HTC sounds more rounded, softer, smoother. Depends on one's taste I guess.

May 4, 2017 at 4:52 PM Post #904 of 1,164
@RockStar2005 To me Chord Mojo does not sound better or worse than HTC 10 - it just sounds different. Mojo simply sounds punchier and crisper and contrary to that HTC sounds more rounded, softer, smoother. Depends on one's taste I guess.

Yeah. Though you DID say you PREFER the 10's sound over the Mojo's! lol Good enough for me! :L3000:

May 4, 2017 at 5:01 PM Post #905 of 1,164
To me they sound the same. Neutron player sounded worse. Jetaudio Plus has a HRA (high res audio) option and probably accesses the DAC in the same way as Poweramp alpha does. I prefer to correct my headphone's uneven frequeny response using Jetaudio's 20 band EQ so I already uninstalled Poweramp.

I can indeed turn off Boomsound. Sounds flatter then but somehow it seems resolution is higher with Boomsound turned on ? I still need to play around with different settings to achive best sound quality.

Thanks, I'll give Jetaudio a try.
About Boomsound - I think is just boosted not higher res.

May 10, 2017 at 11:31 AM Post #907 of 1,164
How do you enable hi-res in jetaudio, i can`t find any option? The 24bit audio in Poweramp seems to be giving the best Audio output on this device, but the constant fails are extremly annoying.

Another thing for people who maybe interested:
I just bought the Lg G5 B&O dac in the hope that it will give me at least the same audio quality as the HTC10, so i can replace it with a Nexus 6p or something without sacrificing sound quality.
Short story: Connected that thing to my pc, enabled it, compared the SQ to the HTC and got dissapointed pretty quick.
The 10 just destroys it in every single way. Louder, cleaner, wider, punchier... just absolutely better. That B&O DAC sounds just artificial and cheap. I didn´t connect it to the phone yet because it doesn`t come with an usb-c to usb-c cable, but i ordered one and will update this post tomorrow when it arrives.

I don`t think it will make any difference since the sound should get processed by the DAC, no matter which device it is connected to, but we`ll see.

I really doubt listening via the G5 with B&O DAC connected will make any difference. The SAME EXACT processing of the sound will occur either way.

May 11, 2017 at 8:00 AM Post #908 of 1,164
I really doubt listening via the G5 with B&O DAC connected will make any difference. The SAME EXACT processing of the sound will occur either way.

I removed the original post because what i said turned out to be completly wrong. It did sound bad and distorted because it wasn`t set up properly. I thought that everything will work after just installing the drivers, but turned out that i had to go into windows sound settings and enable all the kHZ rates from 32.0 up to 192.0kHZ. The same thing had to be done with the bit rate. The default setting was weirdly set at 16bit/32.000HZ, which is radio quality.

After enabling all the rates and setting the bitrate to 24bit/48.000Hz, the DAC sounds perfect. The sound signature is almost exactly the same as in the HTC10, but it sounds a little bit clearer and wider with a tad more separation. The difference is not big, but it`s there and considering the price i paid for it (35€ on ebay), i`m extremly happy now.

The Problem remains though that i have to set-up everything again after windows restarts. I will test the DAC with the phone soon and will update the post then. Hope everything will work automatically with the phone.

May 11, 2017 at 11:39 AM Post #909 of 1,164
I removed the original post because what i said turned out to be completly wrong. It did sound bad and distorted because it wasn`t set up properly. I thought that everything will work after just installing the drivers, but turned out that i had to go into windows sound settings and enable all the kHZ rates from 32.0 up to 192.0kHZ. The same thing had to be done with the bit rate. The default setting was weirdly set at 16bit/32.000HZ, which is radio quality.

After enabling all the rates and setting the bitrate to 24bit/48.000Hz, the DAC sounds perfect. The sound signature is almost exactly the same as in the HTC10, but it sounds a little bit clearer and wider with a tad more separation. The difference is not big, but it`s there and considering the price i paid for it (35€ on ebay), i`m extremly happy now.

The Problem remains though that i have to set-up everything again after windows restarts. I will test the DAC with the phone soon and will update the post then. Hope everything will work automatically with the phone.

It was actually better than the 10?? You're sure?! lol I asked b/c I've read reviews on that DAC and they at best said it just sounded "good". lol

Oh geez. Yeah keep us posted. If u have to set it up every time then I'd rather just keep the 10. lol

May 11, 2017 at 2:28 PM Post #910 of 1,164
This is kind of related, kind of not. I currently have an LG V10 that I love as a DAP, but is junk as a phone. I need to replace it as it is just not dependable. I am considering something like an HTC 10 or a Sony Xperia X with a Fiio Q1. If I went for the better phone I wouldn't be getting the Q1. Any benefits to one option over the other?

May 11, 2017 at 3:32 PM Post #911 of 1,164
This is kind of related, kind of not. I currently have an LG V10 that I love as a DAP, but is junk as a phone. I need to replace it as it is just not dependable. I am considering something like an HTC 10 or a Sony Xperia X with a Fiio Q1. If I went for the better phone I wouldn't be getting the Q1. Any benefits to one option over the other?

Hey Crash,

I owned the Galaxy S7 and Xperia X Performance for like all of last year (majority of time with X Perf). The S7's sound quality was ATROCIOUS, both sound AND call quality. The Xperia X Performance was better on call and sound, but I still always combined ith with my $299 Oppo HA-2 premium amp/DAC (like I did with previous phones). However, when January came and I pitted the X Perf + Oppo against the HTC 10, I found that the 10 at least MATCHED (if not outdid?) the sound quality AND volume output of the HA-2, which was a bit shocking, but in a very good way. The Sony however DID NOT match the Oppo (I could hear more hiss and less clarity when testing it w/o the Oppo). I then sold off BOTH my X Perf and the HA-2. I no longer have to connect an in-between device like the HA-2 anymore, which is a nice bonus too. I use Poweramp Alpha 704 as my player which is the best! Regular Poweramp is fine too.

Sony was dominant in sound quality and esp battery life until the Z series ended and the X series took over IMO. The "2-Day Battery Life Guarantee" was NO WHERE to be found on my X Perf. And the sound quality I felt went backwards or at best stayed the same since my former Xperia Z3 (which was AWESOME). In 2014 it was great, but with the V10, V20, and HTC 10, Sony should've stepped up its game, but it didn't. The ONLY thing Sony is still better at IMO is camera, but the HTC 10 uses (for the first time) a Sony sensor, and pictures are GREAT, esp after the 3 major camera updates its received so far from HTC (mine is unlocked). To me, the difference is not enough to warrant keeping the X Perf, esp when you consider battery life and sound quality. The battery life on the 10 isn't A LOT better than the X Perf's was, but it's enough to get by for me. With the unlocked HTC I also got a phone that also let me use VoLTE for better phone service which I didn't have with Sony cuz they were to cheap to get that certified with my carrier T-Mobile, but HTC wasn't b/c they actually CARE about their U.S. customers like me. Sony's let me down one too many times with their stupid late releases and no carrier involvement, etc.

If you want private smartphone insurance, check out either Square Trade or Worth Ave Group (I used them). Worth covers theft as well.

So my advice: Ditch the V10, get the 10, and live happier! lol

May 11, 2017 at 3:38 PM Post #912 of 1,164
Hey Crash,

I owned the Galaxy S7 and Xperia X Performance for like all of last year (majority of time with X Perf). The S7's sound quality was ATROCIOUS, both sound AND call quality. The Xperia X Performance was better on call and sound, but I still always combined ith with my $299 Oppo HA-2 premium amp/DAC (like I did with previous phones). However, when January came and I pitted the X Perf + Oppo against the HTC 10, I found that the 10 at least MATCHED (if not outdid?) the sound quality AND volume output of the HA-2, which was a bit shocking, but in a very good way. The Sony however DID NOT match the Oppo (I could hear more hiss and less clarity when testing it w/o the Oppo). I then sold off BOTH my X Perf and the HA-2. I no longer have to connect an in-between device like the HA-2 anymore, which is a nice bonus too. I use Poweramp Alpha 704 as my player which is the best! Regular Poweramp is fine too.

Sony was dominant in sound quality and esp battery life until the Z series ended and the X series took over IMO. The "2-Day Battery Life Guarantee" was NO WHERE to be found on my X Perf. And the sound quality I felt went backwards or at best stayed the same since my former Xperia Z3 (which was AWESOME). In 2014 it was great, but with the V10, V20, and HTC 10, Sony should've stepped up its game, but it didn't. The ONLY thing Sony is still better at IMO is camera, but the HTC 10 uses (for the first time) a Sony sensor, and pictures are GREAT, esp after the 3 major camera updates its received so far from HTC (mine is unlocked). To me, the difference is not enough to warrant keeping the X Perf, esp when you consider battery life and sound quality. The battery life on the 10 isn't A LOT better than the X Perf's was, but it's enough to get by for me. With the unlocked HTC I also got a phone that also let me use VoLTE for better phone service which I didn't have with Sony cuz they were to cheap to get that certified with my carrier T-Mobile, but HTC wasn't b/c they actually CARE about their U.S. customers like me. Sony's let me down one too many times with their stupid late releases and no carrier involvement, etc.

If you want private smartphone insurance, check out either Square Trade or Worth Ave Group (I used them). Worth covers theft as well.

So my advice: Ditch the V10, get the 10, and live happier! lol

Thanks...this is very helpful, but I am a bit confused. I thought if you were using a DAC/Amp like your Oppo HA-2 you were basically taking the phone out of the equation and just passing the files over to the DAC, but you say the Sony had worse sound than the S7 when used with the Oppo?

May 11, 2017 at 3:55 PM Post #913 of 1,164
Thanks...this is very helpful, but I am a bit confused. I thought if you were using a DAC/Amp like your Oppo HA-2 you were basically taking the phone out of the equation and just passing the files over to the DAC, but you say the Sony had worse sound than the S7 when used with the Oppo?

YW! Glad to help.

No it wasn't like that. The phone WAS being taken out of the equation for sound processing when using the Oppo, but in January I had compared the HA-2 to both my HTC 10 and the X Perf SEPARATELY. The X Perf was unable to match the Oppo, but the 10 most certainly DID. The Sony DID NOT have worse sound vs. the S7. It was actually the OPPOSITE. lol That is what I said. Just forget about the Oppo and that will make sense. lol

If you have any other questions, lemme know. To buy the 10, check eBay for best prices. HTC no longer offers Uh-Oh Protection on the 10 (that deal expired 4/29), or else I would've told you to buy from them directly. MAKE sure if you buy from Amazon or eBay that you don't buy the M10h. ONLY the 10. The M10h is the Middle Eastern version of the 10. It won't work in the U.S. And unless you have a CDMA carrier like Sprint or Verizon, I would highly advise buying the unlocked version so you have more color options. I tried the glacier silver one last summer which was nice but in January I actually bought & kept the Topaz Gold version. I find it to be the classiest of the bunch, but your call.

May 11, 2017 at 4:01 PM Post #914 of 1,164
YW! Glad to help.

No it wasn't like that. The phone WAS being taken out of the equation for sound processing when using the Oppo, but in January I had compared the HA-2 to both my HTC 10 and the X Perf SEPARATELY. The X Perf was unable to match the Oppo, but the 10 most certainly DID. The Sony DID NOT have worse sound vs. the S7. It was actually the OPPOSITE. lol That is what I said. Just forget about the Oppo and that will make sense. lol

If you have any other questions, lemme know. To buy the 10, check eBay for best prices. HTC no longer offers Uh-Oh Protection on the 10 (that deal expired 4/29), or else I would've told you to buy from them directly. MAKE sure if you buy from Amazon or eBay that you don't buy the M10h. ONLY the 10. The M10h is the Middle Eastern version of the 10. It won't work in the U.S. And unless you have a CDMA carrier like Sprint or Verizon, I would highly advise buying the unlocked version so you have more color options. I tried the glacier silver one last summer which was nice but in January I actually bought & kept the Topaz Gold version. I find it to be the classiest of the bunch, but your call.

Ah...gotcha now! Thank you so much! Yep, it would probably be ebay and I am in the US GSM. Thank you!

May 11, 2017 at 4:04 PM Post #915 of 1,164
Ah...gotcha now! Thank you so much! Yep, it would probably be ebay and I am in the US GSM. Thank you!

Very welcome!!

Ok use that link I sent you then for New Unlocked 10s. Enjoy the phone!! Let us know what you think after you've spent some time listening on it!

Read this article too for more info. Forgot to post it earlier. Pay close attention to the headphone listening section and all emboldened words. It reveals a lot and clears up some myths about the 10 as well.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back