Review on HtC 10 and Sound quality (AQstic Dedicated Integrated DAC)
May 16, 2017 at 10:29 AM Post #932 of 1,164
Well, the way things are going, as long as my HTC 10 gets Android O and Project Treble, I'd say the 10 will be the last phone I'll have until the battery takes a crap. I really hope the 10 gets Project Treble because I don't see HTC being in a position to support all these phones for too much longer. As sad as this makes me, they're definitely on a path back to OEM only status. I've been a fan for a long time (HTC Amaze 4G, HTC Evo 3D, HTC One M7, HTC 10), so it's sad to see them go the way they are.

Get the 10 while you can if you want an awesome all around unlocked phone with great audio.

May 16, 2017 at 11:05 AM Post #933 of 1,164
the 10 will be the last phone I'll have until the battery takes a crap.
Me too.
If all the apps I need will work in the future, I don't have any problem using it 5 years or more.

May 16, 2017 at 3:23 PM Post #934 of 1,164
May 17, 2017 at 5:05 AM Post #936 of 1,164
OMG, I just saw the HTC U11... :slight_frown:
So the HTC flagship has gone "stylish" too... So sad. So ugly and kitschy. I'm glad to have the last industrial design HTC with a 3.5 mm jack.

May 17, 2017 at 12:02 PM Post #938 of 1,164
OMG, I just saw the HTC U11... :slight_frown:
So the HTC flagship has gone "stylish" too... So sad. So ugly and kitschy. I'm glad to have the last industrial design HTC with a 3.5 mm jack.

Pooj,

I think the new style is nice.

There are some great pros and also some cons with the U 11. I am very happy they are pricing it appropriately ($650, but you can get it for $600 with a coupon code goin' around), Edge Sense seems cool, the camera is apparently #1 according to DxOMark (highest score yet for a smartphone), 835 processor is awesome, great screen, audio quality is there (although the "killer DAC" is now found in the 3.5mm to USB-C dongle, NOT the phone itself!), etc. But the cons for me were too much..............1) Bigger phone (F phablets! lol), though just barely "too big" (5.5") for me 2) Same 3000 mAh battery as the 10 has. This would be fine if U 11 was 5.2" like 10, but it's 5.5". Even with 835's extra power efficiency, GSM Arena shows the U 11's battery life is slightly under the 10's.........and the 10's to me is just barely acceptable. 3) HTC WISELY certified VoLTE (and Wi-Fi Calling) with T-Mobile for the 10, which costs time & money. Since the locked 10 was selling through T-Mo they figured why not? I've seen nothing to indicate they plan on doing that for the U 11, and the fact that it's NOT gonna be available locked through T-Mo means they prob won't. That's a DEAL BREAKER for me cuz it means I can't get or make calls on T-Mo if it comes in on Band 12/700MHz spectrum and no other spectrum is available. 4) The polymer "glass" back. They should've just gone metal with it. Now you kinda HAVE to put their thin & clear case on it which doesn't cover the sides so you can use Edge Sense. I don't wanna use a case though, but with a glass back you kinda have to.

MAYBE I could've looked the other way if it was just ONE of these 4............maybe. But all 4 combined, forget it. Prob the worst for me is the battery thing, then glass back, then VoLTE, then size.

May 18, 2017 at 3:31 AM Post #939 of 1,164
Yeah, too each his own about the looks.
I think the only decent looking shiny phone is the iphone 7 black. I don't like the new samsungs either.
But this to me looks like kitschy cheap jewellery and I can't go past this regardless the performance. The U11 looks bad in any color even black.

May 18, 2017 at 4:12 AM Post #940 of 1,164
The U 11 does have top end specs but I prefer the industrial look of the 10. One feels that you would have to handle the 11 with kid gloves.. The fact that they include a plastic case says it all. It's like putting a plastic cover on a expensive Italian leather sofa:metal:

May 18, 2017 at 11:43 AM Post #941 of 1,164
Yeah, too each his own about the looks.
I think the only decent looking shiny phone is the iphone 7 black. I don't like the new samsungs either.
But this to me looks like kitschy cheap jewellery and I can't go past this regardless the performance. The U11 looks bad in any color even black.

I say U 11 style looks nice, but I wouldn't say I love it more than the 10's (or previous One phones). I prefer the 10's understated "matte" finish on the back. I guess HTC was trying to do something different this year cuz you know there's those ppl who only think a new phone is great if it looks COMPLETELY different than how it looked last year. lol Who cares about specs or audio quality?!! lol The black U 11 is prob my least favorite too. That or the white. Sapphire Blue is prob the best, and Blue/Silver is 2nd.

The iPhone 7 Special Edition "Red" looks sweet too. But yeah Black is very nice. I kinda do like the new S8, but I'm def NOT ready to buy another Samsung again. Not until they improve the audio BIG TIME! Even the Phone Arena S8 review I saw said the call quality on the S8 was just ok, which is typical. I do like that they went 18:9 on the body though. More screen, less phone that way. WISH HTC had done that too. I'm hoping they get wise and do that on the U 12 next year.

May 18, 2017 at 11:46 AM Post #942 of 1,164
The U 11 does have top end specs but I prefer the industrial look of the 10. One feels that you would have to handle the 11 with kid gloves.. The fact that they include a plastic case says it all. It's like putting a plastic cover on a expensive Italian leather sofa:metal:

Yeah I'm with you man. The 10's matte finish to me looks more classy than the glossy look of the U 11.

Haha yeah...........kids gloves. lol

Yeah exactly. I can't name another company that includes a CASE with their phone, can you? lol I've come to realize that even with clear cases they still have a way of covering up the looks of the phone. So for last month I've been going caseless with my Topaz Gold 10. It's easier to use I think for the most part. I have to be more careful when I grab it or put it away cuz it can be a BIT slippery, but like with case when I'd take or make calls, the top front "lip" of my Spigen clear case would kinda dig into my temple. lol Now I don't have that problem anymore.

May 31, 2017 at 9:50 PM Post #943 of 1,164
Absolutely not. I had a ****load of phones with good Audio Quality including ones with dedicated DAC/AMP combos like for example the Meizu Pro 5, LG V10, Xiaomi Mi note pro, Leeco le max x900 (very good sound!) etc.
I then bought a HTC10 just out of curiosity with the same mindset as you (Qualcomm chip, can`t be that great...).

Let me tell you, it absolutely blew me away. This thing sounds better than any phone i`ve ever listened to, it sounds better than dedicated Hi-fi players like the FIIO X1, FIIO X3, FIIO X3 II and i would even say the X5. It will make your brain cells dance and you will listen to it until your ears bleed, or at least i do. It`s far from the sterile neutral sounding that some people take as a reference for good sound quality (I still don`t understand why sound quality is supposed to be good when a deep drum sounds like someone is hitting an empty coca cola can...) but it`s loud, it`s full and still absolutely clean. Everything from the deepest bass to the highest treble is extremly well represented, nothing is recessed, it It just sounds amazing.
i guess its proof that its not really about just the chip but the implentation too. IE iphones and samusngs use wolfson dac but it doesn't mean much if not well implemented

May 31, 2017 at 9:54 PM Post #944 of 1,164
i guess its proof that its not really about just the chip but the implentation too. IE iphones and samusngs use wolfson dac but it doesn't mean much if not well implemented
It's been like that for a long time. Shanling M5 with single AKM4490 in the way it was built with skill. Blows away a lot of DAPs in it's range that have dual DACs sabre and what not. Completely black background.

I also supported HTC10 I think last year. Their Aqustic DAC/AMP was put in a way, where it's got good shielding and kinda warm sound that I really liked about it! HTC 10 AMP is pretty powerful too imo.

May 31, 2017 at 10:00 PM Post #945 of 1,164
It's been like that for a long time. Shanling M5 with single AKM4490 in the way it was built with skill. Blows away a lot of DAPs in it's range that have dual DACs sabre and what not. Completely black background.

I also supported HTC10 I think last year. Their Aqustic DAC/AMP was put in a way, where it's got good shielding and kinda warm sound that I really liked about it! HTC 10 AMP is pretty powerful too imo.
it seems like the htcu11 might be even better than the 10 in this since they've improved the phone all around.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back