Review on HtC 10 and Sound quality (AQstic Dedicated Integrated DAC)
Apr 13, 2017 at 5:48 AM Post #827 of 1,164
I like the HTC 10 so much as a complete phone, I see no reason to "upgrade" in a long time if not for some incompatibilities with future "must-have" apps, which I don't think will be the case. I had my last phone - Nexus 4 - for 3 years, and was still in very good condition when I sold it. I also had the Nexus 6P for 4 months and I sold it because it was a wrong decision to get it in the first place. Too big, bad sound.
I hope I will double it with the HTC 10. I see no problem with having this phone for another 5 or 6 years if it will last that long.
I think the "itch" of changing phones every year is wrong and it only feeds consumerism madness, especially if finding a device that perfectly fits your needs.

Talking about sound, I don't agree at all with @BrOtO 's description of "Veiled Warm Tubby sound".
This is the phone that made me use all my headphones except the HD 598 CS, without EQ.
It pairs exceptionally well with HD 598 SE and Koss KSC75 on a headband. Before, I had to EQ the high-mid to treble region with this headphones, not because there was something wrong with them, but because the source (PC, older phones and daps) were too bright and had no proper response in that region.

The HTC 10 has the resolution and refinement, and delivers when needed, you will not constantly have to bear thin, shrill and tinny vocals and treble, they sound so much more natural, and when it needs to show you the resolution and refinement of cymbals or other high tone instruments it does it perfectly well and admirable.

Apr 13, 2017 at 10:13 AM Post #828 of 1,164

Well, F BETA/ALPHA Version 705 lol........... I want an OFFICIAL release. There are other bugs with the Alpha 704 version too like album covers don't always switch when you change band/artist, and the bigger issue of even though 704 lets you export backup copies of your settings, it WON'T let you import them. You just get a stupid error message. So my custom EQs I'll have to re-create and save again once the official one comes out. According to "Alex", the main Poweramp Dev, who I e-mailed a couple times recently about exactly when Poweramp Version 3 (official) will be released.......he said "Planning to finish it this year." Hopefully he wasn't just full of sheht. lol

One thing I LOVE about Alpha is the new 1% incremental volume option. Makes it SO much easier to fine tune the volume level you want when it's not jumping like 5-7% everytime you go up or down. lol That's prob the main reason why I'm keeping Alpha. Also it does sound a TINY bit better than Version 2 official. 

That's cool. I like Neutron too and it's prob just as good sounding, but Poweramp is just too dahmn EASY to use for me, so I don't wanna switch. lol

I dunno man. The thing is, how do I even verify what she told me? I'd have to e-mail Alex prob and ask him if Poweramp allows using the custom HTC codec vs. Aqstic. I have a feeling he'd have NO clue what I was talking about. lol But the lady said when she investigated it, she was told by their tech ppl that the 10 would use its custom audio codec first, not JUST for the stock player. You can try contacting them via customer service (ask to open up an investigation, and then someone from that Special Projects Team will contact you). The rep I spoke with was Luisa, but you might get someone else. 

Either way, when I compared the 10 to my now former $299 Oppo HA-2 portable premium amp/DAC, I felt it MATCHED the HA-2 in sound quality, which was VERY impressive, where my also now former Sony Xperia X Performance did not. That is why I just use my 10 now since buying it 4 mos ago..........didn't need the other 2 so sold them off. Now I enjoy plugging my AKG K551 headphones directly into the 10 w/o a need for a 3rd-party device (HA-2). 
L3000.gif
 lol

Yeah, that's what suck, not being able to save EQ settings, then having to redo everything again.  I also love the 1% incremental volume, but bugs out because you have to be viewing poweramp or else it will show volume changing on "chromecast icon".  I do however love Poweramp interface a lot more.  Neutron isn't so bad once you get the hang of it.

I will contact HTC and see what I can get out of them.

As far as the HTC 10 goes, it's an overall great damn Phone compared to so many, definitely underrated.

Apr 13, 2017 at 10:48 AM Post #829 of 1,164
KopaneDePooj
I think I can explain the "Veiled warm tubby" part.

The thing about sound and headphones ..is that they 'grow' on you
After listening to V20s full bodied neutral-trebly sound I couldnt hear the 'poweramp'-ed thin sound , so i switched to default player.

Just after listening to V20 , the whole spectrum from HTC 10 sounded "veiled warm tubby" in comparison .
I am sure if I would have used it for a day or two It would sound "all natural with resolution and refinement of high tone instruments "..

Since , the perception of Sound is Subjective after all.
Hope that explains my point

Apr 13, 2017 at 11:20 AM Post #830 of 1,164
@KopaneDePooj
I think I can explain the "Veiled warm tubby" part.

The thing about sound and headphones ..is that they 'grow' on you
After listening to V20s full bodied neutral-trebly sound I couldnt hear the 'poweramp'-ed thin sound , so i switched to default player.

Just after listening to V20 , the whole spectrum from HTC 10 sounded "veiled warm tubby" in comparison .
I am sure if I would have used it for a day or two It would sound "all natural with resolution and refinement of high tone instruments "..

Since , the perception of Sound is Subjective after all.
Hope that explains my point

That surely explains it.
You need time to get accustomed to a certain sound signature and switching to something else confuses your brain, and the perception is messed up. It's all about perception, and yes it's all very subjective. There is no general good or bad, just what sounds good to you.
Today after watching this great review I was wondering what "diffuse-field equalisation"  means and found this page on beyerdynamic's website which is a very good, interesting, informative read:

http://north-america.beyerdynamic.com/service/faq.html
(scroll & click on "What is diffuse-field equalisation?")

One thing I still don't get about your description of sound is "V20s full bodied neutral-trebly".
In my understanding "full bodied" and "neutral-trebly" are opposites. They can not be together.
I think of the HTC 10 as "full-bodied" sounding and maybe the V20 as "neutral-trebly" (from what I read about it).

Apr 13, 2017 at 11:33 AM Post #831 of 1,164
LG V20 SQ

Full Bodied Neutral Trebly : Quite Wide n Deep Soundstage with sufficient upper bass (hence full bodied ) , Neutral in nature primarily with some inclination towards treble

Euphonic , Uniquely towards mp3s(a rarity among DAPs) and after sufficient burning grainy (Due to ultra revealing nature of Sabre DAC)
Bright and forwardness that can be tamed by controlling left and right channel amplification.
Decreasing left and right amp , proportionally DEEPENS and WIDENS the soundstage , making it Flatter.Especially useful for closed-back headphones.

So you get , finally a trebly-neutral full flat BIG soundstage with Euphonic Grainy and sometimes Sparkly details IDEALLY characteristics of an Excellent DAP.

Gotta tell ya , Didnt plan on, but 'love Dis Thang' now!!!

Apr 13, 2017 at 12:45 PM Post #832 of 1,164

Yeah, that's what suck, not being able to save EQ settings, then having to redo everything again.  I also love the 1% incremental volume, but bugs out because you have to be viewing poweramp or else it will show volume changing on "chromecast icon".  I do however love Poweramp interface a lot more.  Neutron isn't so bad once you get the hang of it.

I will contact HTC and see what I can get out of them.

As far as the HTC 10 goes, it's an overall great damn Phone compared to so many, definitely underrated.

Yeah all that is true. The Chromecast icon thing is no big deal b/c u can just go back to Poweramp and the 1% volume dimmer switch icon will come back. 

Ok awesome!!! Let me know what they say. 

Yes, VERY underrated. I really hope the 11 lives up to the 10's greatness. 

Apr 13, 2017 at 1:59 PM Post #834 of 1,164
Full Bodied Neutral Trebly : Quite Wide n Deep Soundstage with sufficient upper bass (hence full bodied ) , Neutral in nature primarily with some inclination towards treble

Euphonic , Uniquely towards mp3s(a rarity among DAPs) and after sufficient burning grainy (Due to ultra revealing nature of Sabre DAC)
Bright and forwardness that can be tamed by controlling left and right channel amplification.
Decreasing left and right amp , proportionally DEEPENS and WIDENS the soundstage , making it Flatter.Especially useful for closed-back headphones.

So you get , finally a trebly-neutral full flat BIG soundstage with Euphonic Grainy and sometimes Sparkly details IDEALLY characteristics of an Excellent DAP.

OK, now I'm even more confused...
What is "Euphonic uniquely towards mp3s" ? So it isn't "Euphonic toward FLACs" ? just mp3s...
confused.gif

What is "Decreasing the left and right amp", and how you do it? You mean preamp?
"Deepens and widens the soundstage, making it flatter"? That is contradictory.
Whaaat? "Trebly-neutral full flat BIG soundstage with Euphonic Grainy...." Looks like an adjectives salad to me.
For God's sake what is "Euphonic Grainy"
confused_face(1).gif

I thought "grainy" is a shortcoming not a quality of sound.

OK, let's leave it here... Maybe I don't understand this "business" as well as you do.
What ultimately matters is that you love your LG V20 and I love my HTC 10 and that's it.

Cheers!

Apr 13, 2017 at 9:12 PM Post #835 of 1,164
KopaneDePooj

OK, now I'm even more confused...

Its okay ..I have no intention to continue with my "V20 experience" in an HTC 10 thread coz the thread CAN get derailed then .

Maybe I don't understand this "business" as well as you do.

You asked hence I replied..No need to get Antsy about that.
Maybe I would too , if situations were reversed.

But lately it has been really difficult planning my next DAP .

Apr 15, 2017 at 9:14 AM Post #836 of 1,164
LG V20 SQ http://www.androidauthority.com/best-android-2016-audio-738746/

HTC 10 has the Best SNR of any smartphone period

Apr 15, 2017 at 10:55 AM Post #837 of 1,164
HTC 10 has the Best SNR of any smartphone period

Don't know a v20 well enough to comment. But my m10 sounds very clean and lush with my shure846 with white filters. Also good with jh13. I like it more than v10 when I compare them. It is a much better phone than the v20 though. No overheating or screen problems. My biz partner told me she is also getting the ghost image problem with his v20. Funny how I also have that prob with v10...

Apr 15, 2017 at 8:17 PM Post #839 of 1,164
Nope...completely wrong...V20 has 130db SNR ..the very best among smartphones and DAPs..

Alright to love your V20 and share your opinion but try to have some levity within other threads, you can imagine we love the 10 very much over here. I should note that SNR, especially those measured by GSMArena, Android Authority or numbers quoted from the manufacturer are all known to be pretty shoddy. Subjectively, and although the 10 may not have the same quoted SNR as the V20, there is absolutely no background hiss when listening using the very sensitive Campfire Audio Andromedas, so SNR has never been a concern with the 10 and if the V20 is similar or better then you will have the same experience. I also don't really hear too much veil or tubbiness to the 10's sound and haven't noticed a huge difference between different players, but again, that's my experience. 

It's important to state the extent of the differences between the phones and apps rather than illuminating the fact that differences are present (and using caps and such adjectives makes it sound like the V20 completely outclasses any other DAP on the market), otherwise you can give people the wrong idea. 

Apr 16, 2017 at 2:58 AM Post #840 of 1,164
Nope...completely wrong...V20 has 130db SNR ..the very best among smartphones and DAPs..

No it actually doesn't The chip inside has a theoretical maximum that high.
Funnily enough browsing around the net I haven't found a single REAL audio review that tests it out and see's if it hits any of the theoretical maximums.

Where as on the other hand the published specs of the HTC 10 have indeed been tested and you can find quite a few more reviews talking about the audio quality in particular.

Please provide links in the future when making claims such as this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back