Review on HtC 10 and Sound quality (AQstic Dedicated Integrated DAC)
Apr 16, 2017 at 2:59 AM Post #841 of 1,164

Alright to love your V20 and share your opinion but try to have some levity within other threads, you can imagine we love the 10 very much over here. I should note that SNR, especially those measured by GSMArena, Android Authority or numbers quoted from the manufacturer are all known to be pretty shoddy. Subjectively, and although the 10 may not have the same quoted SNR as the V20, there is absolutely no background hiss when listening using the very sensitive Campfire Audio Andromedas, so SNR has never been a concern with the 10 and if the V20 is similar or better then you will have the same experience. I also don't really hear too much veil or tubbiness to the 10's sound and haven't noticed a huge difference between different players, but again, that's my experience. 

It's important to state the extent of the differences between the phones and apps rather than illuminating the fact that differences are present (and using caps and such adjectives makes it sound like the V20 completely outclasses any other DAP on the market), otherwise you can give people the wrong idea. 

The sound of the HTC 10 is damn near perfect. Really I'm not sure what else to ask for because its so easy to listen to.

Apr 16, 2017 at 3:07 AM Post #842 of 1,164
The sound of the HTC 10 is damn near perfect. Really I'm not sure what else to ask for because its so easy to listen to.

For sure, the 10 is a fanastic sounding phone, and a great phone in general 1yr later (not saying it is better/worse than anything else in particular​). It's not quite on the same level as a mid-high end dedicated DAP and driving power still isn't effortless with my HD700s, but with iems, it is super clean with great soundstaging and detail. I love the lack of hiss, something even my dedicated equipment struggles with.

My only gripe is that the output impedance isn't quite as low as some other sources, it's probably not terrible, but I get a noticeable swing with my Sony XBA-40's, though it's less noticeable with most other gear.

Apr 16, 2017 at 4:34 AM Post #843 of 1,164
No need to bash each other here..lets just talk facts

I love music and usually prefer full size speakers system. unfortunately I'm not always home to enjoy them so the next best thing is usually through IEMs or headphones.

I learned over the ears music is super personal experience and so is sound. Which is why I'm not really into enjoying music through my eyes but always my ears. This rule is fitting from musical instruments to headphones/speakers systems.

I dislike claims here made by members who is misleading when they rationalize the prowess​ of an equipment from manufacturers' specs.

What's even crazier is when people make claims and comparisons without really experiencing the equipments themselves with good gears.

I am fortunate enough to live in big cities my whole life and I get to audition equipments that I desire when time permits. Unfortunately not everyone gets the same easy access as we do.

I auditioned the v20 against my old v10 a few months back, while it sounds good, I thought it was very close to the v10 sound. But just like the v10 the v20 has been reported with many problems such as bootloops, overheating and ghost images.

And the way how LG treats their customers here in Asia is just atrocious in my opinion as a small business owner. Too many problems with their phones recently. so much so quite a few respected members here seems to be jumping ship already.

You continuously singing praises of the v20 while dissing other people's favorite phone is a major turnoff.

My GF gave me a HTC 10 as she loves hers and see how I needed a good and stable phone when my v10 bootlooped on me:frowning2: she didn't want me to lose any more precious photos and videos of us anymore.

At first I didn't see that much improvements when it came to the SQ of m10 but after switching back and forth I realized the sq of the m10 really grows on me. While the LG V10 is like a good cup of coffee with good balance of milk and sugar, the m10 is like a nice cup of strong Jamaican blue mountain with whole milk... Thick and delicious. Oh and the m10 won't give me diarrhea later:wink:

Can't wait to audition the 11 later this year^.^

Apr 16, 2017 at 10:54 AM Post #844 of 1,164
lisztian420

You continuously singing praises of the v20 while dissing other people's favorite phone is a major turnoff.

I did no such thing .Just like everybody in this forum i am trying to qualitatively compare. If explaining my experience with V20 and othe devices makes you feel like I am dissing yours then it can very well be your own problem .

But just like the v10 the v20 has been reported with many problems such as bootloops, overheating and ghost images

I strongly disagree from a first person user perspective and also from the fact that there is no valid proven claims of such anywhere on the internet

I dislike claims here made by members who is misleading when they rationalize the prowess​ of an equipment from manufacturers' specs.

It CAN be equally misleading to completely ignore the specs since its what primarily defines the hardware.

And the way how LG treats their customers here in Asia is just atrocious in my opinion as a small business owner. Too many problems with their phones recently.

Have you encountered many cases or is it just a speculation only .
I live in asia and me and many of my family friends use their phones , tv , washing machine.
Be it warranty claims , in-home repairs , servicing, we have always found LG to be very friendly and very convenient and hence it exercises a status of a premium brand here.

Apr 16, 2017 at 11:42 AM Post #845 of 1,164
All -I realize i may get some somewhat biased answers here in a HTC 10 forum, none the less ...looking for your input as many of you may have evaluated the HTC 10 vs. v20/v10 when making your purchase, and have had issues similar to mine...  

Gear

Sienn HD650
Vorzuge Pure II AMp
Frustrating working with a Nexus 5 (old phone) as Player of Tidal Hifi via OTG to a 
FIIO X5 (2nd gen) in DAC mode (sending to Pure II)

Portable Cans: Westone W30  

Issues:  
-Nexus battery drains like crazy giving me about 30 min time. 
-Charging issues (3 devices to charge and cannot charge while playing for the most part.  
-A big cord filled mess to setup for home listening.  

Questions: 

1.  Any thoughts is HTC 10 Dac be on par with a FIIO X5 (2nd).  I believe they both use sabre dac's?  
2. Will the htc 10 drive my HD650's on it's own, if a want a very quick listen at home with no fuss or muss?  
3. Key question: Knowing what you know right now about htc 10 and v20/v10 ...would you still buy a HTC 10 over them? Why?    
5. Has the htc 10 eliminated any DAP/DAC needs you have going forward?  Has it replaced you current player for good?   Even at home?  (note: I am streaming Tidal guy)  

Sidenote:  I also hear the HTC 10 is warmer, and one could say the same with HD650..so slightly concerned of that pairing.   

Any feedback you had on my decision between HTC 10 or v20 is appreciated.  

Thank you.   

Apr 16, 2017 at 6:27 PM Post #846 of 1,164
Don't have the 650,did have one but I sold it (miss it sometimes, but just have too much stuff). My recollection, though, was that it really required good amplification, or it had the "veil". Didn't like it until I got an RSA HR-2, then got to hear what it could do. I'd be hesitant to just use it with a phone (I do find the 10 to work well with most of my headphones right now, though).

Apr 17, 2017 at 12:56 PM Post #848 of 1,164
  All -I realize i may get some somewhat biased answers here in a HTC 10 forum, none the less ...looking for your input as many of you may have evaluated the HTC 10 vs. v20/v10 when making your purchase, and have had issues similar to mine...  

Gear

Sienn HD650
Vorzuge Pure II AMp
Frustrating working with a Nexus 5 (old phone) as Player of Tidal Hifi via OTG to a 
FIIO X5 (2nd gen) in DAC mode (sending to Pure II)

Portable Cans: Westone W30  

Issues:  
-Nexus battery drains like crazy giving me about 30 min time. 
-Charging issues (3 devices to charge and cannot charge while playing for the most part.  
-A big cord filled mess to setup for home listening.  

Questions: 

1.  Any thoughts is HTC 10 Dac be on par with a FIIO X5 (2nd).  I believe they both use sabre dac's?  
2. Will the htc 10 drive my HD650's on it's own, if a want a very quick listen at home with no fuss or muss?  
3. Key question: Knowing what you know right now about htc 10 and v20/v10 ...would you still buy a HTC 10 over them? Why?    
5. Has the htc 10 eliminated any DAP/DAC needs you have going forward?  Has it replaced you current player for good?   Even at home?  (note: I am streaming Tidal guy)  

Sidenote:  I also hear the HTC 10 is warmer, and one could say the same with HD650..so slightly concerned of that pairing.   

Any feedback you had on my decision between HTC 10 or v20 is appreciated.  

Thank you.   

blackhawk,

1 & 5: Not sure on the FiiO X5 2nd gen, but I had the very well-rated $299 Oppo HA-2 premium amp/DAC. I compared it to the HTC 10 about 4 mos ago and IMHO the 10 was able to MATCH the HA-2 in sound quality as well as amp (not sure if it got louder than the HA-2, but let's just say I never have to go to MAX volume on my 10, EVER lol). My Sony Xperia X Performance however could not, so I ended up keeping the 10 and selling off both the Xperia XP & the Oppo. Now life is simpler with one less device. 
L3000.gif
 lol

2: Not sure. My headphones are the 32-ohm AKG K551, so given your HD650 is a 300-ohm pair of headphones, I can't say for sure it would be enough. I'm guessing it may not be based on doctorjazz's post, so what I'd recommend to you for playing the 10 on THOSE kinds of headphones is good strong but portable amp (or not portable if you're a "desktop" guy, unlike me lol). Those suggestions would be either the FiiO A3 or else the pricier but higher-rated A5. With those at your side, you will have PLENTY of ampage. I used the A3 a while back when it was called the E11k, and it was a FANTASTIC amp!

3: 4 mos ago I ALSO had compared the 10 with the V20. IMO, they were JUST as great! The V20 is a phablet while the 10 isn't, so you should consider the size difference as well. I'm NOT a phablet guy, so the 10 also won out there for me. So for sound quality they were the same to my ears. With regards to ampage, I felt the 10 got LOUDER than the V20 in regular AND "Aux/External Device Detected" modes (aka the 3rd and 2nd loudest of 3), though I more recently had my cousin test out his V20 in "High Impedance Mode" vs. the 10, and it was louder there. So perhaps in your case with the HD650, the V20 is better b/c u wouldn't need the FiiO amps then I believe. In order to achieve HIM mode on the V20 though, you NEED a special 50+ ohm adapter like this 75-ohm one I got for my cousin off eBay. 

Hope this helps! I prefer the 10 but I also don't have any 300-ohm headphones, so yeah. lol But the camera on the 10 is rated better than the V20's, though the V20 has somewhat better battery life (only b/c of the bigger size). Also, LG phones are known to have a bootloop issue so beware of that, although I think LG is working on fixing it? 

Apr 17, 2017 at 2:14 PM Post #849 of 1,164
I had/have (it's around someplace) the ALO Continental, thought it was a really nice portable amp. Mostly use my HTC10 direct, though (and headphones that need more juice I use the MicroZOTL2 or Liquid Carbon at home-these usually aren't on the go cans anyway).

Apr 17, 2017 at 4:50 PM Post #852 of 1,164
In need of help. I'm looking around for a headphone amp that has more than enough power for my Fidelio X2 but that also works well with sensitive and low ohm iems. The thing is I want a amp that won't change the original sound of the HTC 10 if not I want the amp to be as neutral as possible. Any suggestions?

Apr 17, 2017 at 5:08 PM Post #853 of 1,164
In need of help. I'm looking around for a headphone amp that has more than enough power for my Fidelio X2 but that also works well with sensitive and low ohm iems. The thing is I want a amp that won't change the original sound of the HTC 10 if not I want the amp to be as neutral as possible. Any suggestions?

I'd HIGHLY recommend either the FiiO A3 or else the slightly better A5. I tried the A3 back when it was called the E11k and found it to be very neutral-sounding, powerful, elegant, and sleek/portable. It also comes with TWO modes......Low Gain for IEMs and High Gain for headphones. Your X2s are only 30-ohms......you'll be fine. lol

Apr 17, 2017 at 6:40 PM Post #854 of 1,164
Again, I don't use an amp with the 10, but I did really like the ALO National (I mistakenly misnamed it another as the Continental, which is more expensive), also has high and low gain, and sounded considerably better than the well regarded Cayin C5 (don't have the Fiio for comparison). Costs more, though...

Apr 17, 2017 at 7:02 PM Post #855 of 1,164
I'd HIGHLY recommend either the FiiO A3 or else the slightly better A5. I tried the A3 back when it was called the E11k and found it to be very neutral-sounding, powerful, elegant, and sleek/portable. It also comes with TWO modes......Low Gain for IEMs and High Gain for headphones. Your X2s are only 30-ohms......you'll be fine. lol

Again, I don't use an amp with the 10, but I did really like the ALO National (I mistakenly misnamed it another as the Continental, which is more expensive), also has high and low gain, and sounded considerably better than the well regarded Cayin C5 (don't have the Fiio for comparison). Costs more, though...
I have my eyes on the A5, Aune B1 and Oppo Ha2-Se. I heard very good things about the A5 but also have heard there is a slight treble roll off.... The B1 has also caught my attention but same that there is a slight treble roll off and the sound may be a little tad warm, I have tried the Ha2-Se a while ago and did love the sound but price is a little high right now.... I need an amp that is overall nicely extended in both ends, not to expensive and won't change the sound to much of my hp and iems. So far though the three I mentioned are the ones that are tickling my finger two press buy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back