Review on HtC 10 and Sound quality (AQstic Dedicated Integrated DAC)
Feb 3, 2017 at 3:46 PM Post #616 of 1,164

Sadly not compatible. even a downloaded APK from here didn't work. not sure it's not compatible with nougat or the phone itself. will do some more searching and report back later.

Ok. And I checked after my last post to see if it was compatible with my new HTC 10 I just got 2 weeks ago, and it said no. So ok I was initially correct in thinking that it only works with Xperia phones. Lame!! lol

Feb 3, 2017 at 3:51 PM Post #617 of 1,164

Ok. And I checked after my last post to see if it was compatible with my new HTC 10 I just got 2 weeks ago, and it said no. So ok I was initially correct in thinking that it only works with Xperia phones. Lame!! lol

the older version called walkman is working perfectly as i stated in my last comment. the newer version called music requires some tweaking to make it work unfortunately. i prefer the older version though

Feb 3, 2017 at 4:01 PM Post #618 of 1,164
Does that take over the hardware button volume control as well? So far the only solutions to that I have found involve rooting and such. If it can do it without rooting I'd definitely get Poweramp. The Neutron preamp slider on the EQ screen seems to give very fine control, but it's annoying having to turn the phone on, navigate to app etc.. every time I want to tweak volume a little.

Walkman is really nice. Sony could probably make some good change if they opened it up to Android in general, but mabye they see it as a selling point for their phones. Love the UI on their DAPs as well. I liked the odd "lifestyle" app collection they had too, or at least the pedometer.

Yes it does take it over for as long as you're playing music from Poweramp Alpha 704. If you go to Chrome or another app with music or videos, I see that usually the regular volume controller takes over, which goes in like 5-7% increments. I find that such bigger increments make it VERY difficult to get the right volume for my music, so that feature to me is GOLD! Before I was using a portable amp/DAC (Oppo HA-2) and I was controlling the volume from there, so I didn't care. But now because I've found my new HTC 10 to be AS good as my now former $299 HA-2, I no longer need the HA-2, and am depending fully on my 10 for DAC and amp/volume needs. 

Yeah, I'm sure with rooting other apps can be made to do this, but after I rooted my M8, I vowed NEVER to root again b/c I found it was too much work. lol Alpha 704 IS buggy to some extent, but it's not NEARLY bad enough for me to lose out on it's features. Plus I just read somewhere that I guess the Poweramps devs are set to FINALLY release the official Version 3 in March, we may not have to deal with this crap much longer. lol 

Yeah I find Poweramp to be a bit more user-friendly than Neutron, but Neutron was a VERY close second overall in user-friendliness, and maybe equal in sound? Though Alpha 704 DOES sound slightly better than regular Poweramp. 

Yeah I'm sure that's why Sony doesn't open it up, b/c they want it to be a Sony Mobile exclusive. Yes! I had the Sony Walkman A17 for a while and it was a FANTASTIC DAP! I even started a thread on it. lol That's cool. I never used the other stuff on their, but the sound quality was fantastic!! 

Feb 3, 2017 at 4:04 PM Post #620 of 1,164

the older version called walkman is working perfectly as i stated in my last comment. the newer version called music requires some tweaking to make it work unfortunately. i prefer the older version though

Ok. Yeah I preferred Walkman too. Changing the name from that to Music is just one of SEVERAL things that led to me leaving Sony Mobile after being a huge fan of theirs for over 2 years. lol 

Feb 3, 2017 at 7:30 PM Post #621 of 1,164
Okay i need an explanation and please excuse my noob-ness :D

I know that the DAC converts the audio on physical level so i think the term "A specific app is using a DAC and the other isn't" is wrong?

If yes then why is poweramp v3 alpha is better than other players after enabling hi-res output? is it a software or hardware thing? also is there a similar option in neutron? any explanation is appreciated.

Feb 3, 2017 at 9:42 PM Post #622 of 1,164

I know that the DAC converts the audio on physical level so i think the term "A specific app is using a DAC and the other isn't" is wrong?

If yes then why is poweramp v3 alpha is better than other players after enabling hi-res output? is it a software or hardware thing? also is there a similar option in neutron? any explanation is appreciated.

I'm no expert but a simplified explanation: DAC operates on a system level, so any audio from any app is sent through android to the DAC chip. The HTC 10's Android build and DAC can handle up to 24-bit/192kHz (current android allows for up to 32 bit i think), but not necessairly every music app will playback hi-res audio files, or might play them but downconvert it to a more universally supported audio resolution like 16/44 to avoid problems with other Android builds and phones.

Personally I can't tell the difference between CDQ and Hi-Res, so no idea why poweramp in hi-res sounds better to you. If you're using Poweramp alpha's volume control feature Rockstar mentioned, that could be one cause since volume can have a rather dramatic effect on perception of audio quality (for instance Google Music only gives you the chunky 16 steps of volume, the same in Neutron if you aren't using the preamp to dial-in). Also possible it is the only one actually sending hi-res audio stream to the DAC while other apps are downsampling your files to 16/44 or somesuch, or is simply better or more efficient at processing and communicating this data to the system than other apps.

Neutron automatically converts everything it plays into either 32 or 64 bit for processing and can output to Android up to 32 bit AFIAK. You might try toggling the 64 bit and Resampling quality options in the Settings menu, and you can also try Dither in the EQ screen. Make sure crossfeed or surround are disabled.

Also if you haven't already, suggest making sure you have Boomsound/Dolby disabled for headphones in the android settings (have to have headphones plugged in for this option to be visible).

Feb 3, 2017 at 10:07 PM Post #623 of 1,164

The DAC itself is hardware, not software, so that's one thing. As is the amp. 

Yeah the DAC converts the digital sound into analog so we can HEAR it b/c sound is analog. 

No I wouldn't say that's wrong at all. ANY app that creates a noise or sound is using the DAC, or else we wouldn't be able to hear it via the speakers or headphones. 

I've compared Poweramp (and Poweramp V3 Alpha aka Alpha 704) to MANY other music apps, and they always seem to fall short in either sound AND/OR ease of use. I can't say for sure I noticed a difference when enabling Hi-Res output on Alpha 704, but I did in general notice a SLIGHT improvement in sound using Alpha vs. regular V2 Poweramp. 

I would say it's DEFINITELY a software thing as all these apps are software themselves. 

From what I remember of Neutron, I believe there IS a Hi-Res option, but I'm not 100% sure now. 

Feb 3, 2017 at 10:24 PM Post #624 of 1,164
I'm no expert but a simplified explanation: DAC operates on a system level, so any audio from any app is sent through android to the DAC chip. The HTC 10's Android build and DAC can handle up to 24-bit/192kHz (current android allows for up to 32 bit i think), but not necessairly every music app will playback hi-res audio files, or might play them but downconvert it to a more universally supported audio resolution like 16/44 to avoid problems with other Android builds and phones.

Personally I can't tell the difference between CDQ and Hi-Res, so no idea why poweramp in hi-res sounds better to you. If you're using Poweramp alpha's volume control feature Rockstar mentioned, that could be one cause since volume can have a rather dramatic effect on perception of audio quality (for instance Google Music only gives you the chunky 16 steps of volume, the same in Neutron if you aren't using the preamp to dial-in). Also possible it is the only one actually sending hi-res audio stream to the DAC while other apps are downsampling your files to 16/44 or somesuch, or is simply better or more efficient at processing and communicating this data to the system than other apps.

Neutron automatically converts everything it plays into either 32 or 64 bit for processing and can output to Android up to 32 bit AFIAK. You might try toggling the 64 bit and Resampling quality options in the Settings menu, and you can also try Dither in the EQ screen. Make sure crossfeed or surround are disabled.

Also if you haven't already, suggest making sure you have Boomsound/Dolby disabled for headphones in the android settings (have to have headphones plugged in for this option to be visible).

Yeah I can't either. People on this site will swear up and down they can hear a difference, but I can't. I've done a few ABX Blind Tests to determine if I can hear a difference, and I can't at all. and my hearing is VERY good. I've talked to others on here who have actually done the same test and can't tell a difference either. It seems like those who say they can hear a difference never actually took an ABX Test, so I refuse to believe it. IMO, ANYTHING above an mp3 (YES.......EVEN AAC lossy, as long as it's 256-320 kbps or higher!) will sound the same despite its resolution. EVERY SINGLE Hi-Res song or album I've bought over the last 2 1/2 years I've downsampled down to high-grade 512 kbps AAC (CBR), and they sound EXACTLY the same as when they were 24/96, 24/192, or even DSD! But now they take up MUCH less storage space, require MUCH less power to play, etc. 

Hi-Res only matters to me b/c I came to the realization long ago that studios release the BEST versions/masters of their albums not in CD, certainly not in mp3 lol, but in Hi-Res (including DSD). This was after doing ABX Tests, reading articles by credible and knowledgeable sources, etc. I've gotten albums in Hi-Res that I had on mp3 or even CD and virtually every single time the Hi-Res version is NOTICEABLY better, sometimes extremely better! Albums I got kinda tired of YEARS ago all of a sudden sound brand new and better than ever, with details I don't recall ever hearing before. Of course having premium headphones like my AKG K551 and a great amp/DAC device like the HTC 10 are both significant contributors to all this too, if not even more so than the songs themselves. But the way Hi-Res is marketed is total f'ing crap and I'm tired of it. The companies try to convince you that the higher resolution really matters like it does on TVs. That's BS............it ONLY matters when mp3s are involved. As long as you go above that (Note: AACs are aka mp4s, or next-gen mp3s), you're good to go! You don't even need FLAC or ALAC IMO. Those files are still kinda big, though nowhere near as big as 24/96 or 24/192. 

In my Sony Walkman A17 thread on here, I had a post that discussed this in more detail with links and also a list of my GO-TO Hi-Res sources. See here

I disabled Dolby too on my 10, but did the Personal Sound Profile thing and I keep that enabled as it DOES improve the audio IMO. I recommend everyone create a profile for themselves for best results. 

Feb 4, 2017 at 6:08 PM Post #625 of 1,164

Yeah I can't either. People on this site will swear up and down they can hear a difference, but I can't. I've done a few ABX Blind Tests to determine if I can hear a difference, and I can't at all. and my hearing is VERY good. I've talked to others on here who have actually done the same test and can't tell a difference either. It seems like those who say they can hear a difference never actually took an ABX Test, so I refuse to believe it. IMO, ANYTHING above an mp3 (YES.......EVEN AAC lossy, as long as it's 256-320 kbps or higher!) will sound the same despite its resolution. EVERY SINGLE Hi-Res song or album I've bought over the last 2 1/2 years I've downsampled down to high-grade 512 kbps AAC (CBR), and they sound EXACTLY the same as when they were 24/96, 24/192, or even DSD! But now they take up MUCH less storage space, require MUCH less power to play, etc. 

Hi-Res only matters to me b/c I came to the realization long ago that studios release the BEST versions/masters of their albums not in CD, certainly not in mp3 lol, but in Hi-Res (including DSD). This was after doing ABX Tests, reading articles by credible and knowledgeable sources, etc. I've gotten albums in Hi-Res that I had on mp3 or even CD and virtually every single time the Hi-Res version is NOTICEABLY better, sometimes extremely better! Albums I got kinda tired of YEARS ago all of a sudden sound brand new and better than ever, with details I don't recall ever hearing before. Of course having premium headphones like my AKG K551 and a great amp/DAC device like the HTC 10 are both significant contributors to all this too, if not even more so than the songs themselves. But the way Hi-Res is marketed is total f'ing crap and I'm tired of it. The companies try to convince you that the higher resolution really matters like it does on TVs. That's BS............it ONLY matters when mp3s are involved. As long as you go above that (Note: AACs are aka mp4s, or next-gen mp3s), you're good to go! You don't even need FLAC or ALAC IMO. Those files are still kinda big, though nowhere near as big as 24/96 or 24/192. 

In my Sony Walkman A17 thread on here, I had a post that discussed this in more detail with links and also a list of my GO-TO Hi-Res sources. See here

I disabled Dolby too on my 10, but did the Personal Sound Profile thing and I keep that enabled as it DOES improve the audio IMO. I recommend everyone create a profile for themselves for best results. 

I don't notice a huge difference in quality, if at all, between Hi-Res Poweramp and standard. However, when using my sensitive earphones, standard Poweramp produces a noticable background hiss that disappears when Hi-Res is enabled. I'm not sure what the cause is, but that is the primary reason why I put up with the instability of the alpha versions, it's the occasional annoyment of a Hi-Res module has failed message as opposed to the constant irk of hiss and distortion. Of course, through my 150 ohm HD700's, I can tell little difference and either listen through standard Poweramp or through an external DAC which uses the standard module anyway.  

Feb 4, 2017 at 6:24 PM Post #626 of 1,164

I don't notice a huge difference in quality, if at all, between Hi-Res Poweramp and standard. However, when using my sensitive earphones, standard Poweramp produces a noticable background hiss that disappears when Hi-Res is enabled. I'm not sure what the cause is, but that is the primary reason why I put up with the instability of the alpha versions, it's the occasional annoyment of a Hi-Res module has failed message as opposed to the constant irk of hiss and distortion. Of course, through my 150 ohm HD700's, I can tell little difference and either listen through standard Poweramp or through an external DAC which uses the standard module anyway.  

Yeah, I don't either. But I DID notice a minor difference, and even minor differences can mean something. My cousin who has the LG V20 also noticed a slight difference as well. 

Really? That's interesting. So in Alpha 704 you enabled Hi-Res output? Ok........... I went ahead and turned it back on at 24/192. Thanks for the info! I didn't notice that but I was probably paying more attention to the music than the background hiss. 

Yeah, you have to weigh your pros and cons. lol I hate that I can't import backup files onto Alpha 704, the random timeouts, and the album artwork not always updating when the album changes...........but the 1% incremental volume option is TOO good to pass up. Trying to get the right volume when it jumps 5-7% each time you push the volume button makes that incredibly difficult. 

Cool. 

Feb 13, 2017 at 3:43 AM Post #627 of 1,164
Hi.

did you tried to connect any aptx receiver to HTC 10 ?
I'm a little bit confused.
My older Xperia devices, were displaying "aptx device connected" message while aptx enabled receive connected and "bluethooth device connected" with regular SBC receivers.
HTC 10 displays "bluethooth device connected" with all my devices.

Could you please advise , which message do you see on the screen while connecting your 10 to aptx receiver?

Feb 18, 2017 at 6:56 PM Post #628 of 1,164
  Hi.

did you tried to connect any aptx receiver to HTC 10 ?
I'm a little bit confused.
My older Xperia devices, were displaying "aptx device connected" message while aptx enabled receive connected and "bluethooth device connected" with regular SBC receivers.
HTC 10 displays "bluethooth device connected" with all my devices.

Could you please advise , which message do you see on the screen while connecting your 10 to aptx receiver?

A bit convoluted, but you can use these steps to find out if you're using apt-x:
https://forum.xda-developers.com/htc-10/themes/mod-qualcomm-aptxhd-drivers-t3557364

Feb 22, 2017 at 4:04 AM Post #629 of 1,164

A bit convoluted, but you can use these steps to find out if you're using apt-x:
https://forum.xda-developers.com/htc-10/themes/mod-qualcomm-aptxhd-drivers-t3557364

Thanks a lot!
That solves the issue.

Confirmed. HTC 10 recognise apt-x receiver and actually use aptx codec to transmit audio.
It just does not display special  "Aptx device connected" message on the screen. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back