Review of the sennheiser HD 598 CS (close version)
Nov 25, 2016 at 11:27 PM Post #18 of 95
Nov 26, 2016 at 12:21 AM Post #21 of 95
care to elaborate?

How audible and powerful is the sub bass compared to the open 598? how is the heat and fabric material of the closed 598? compared to open for hot weather? how is the soundstage/distance loud speaker like sound?

I'm comparing mine to beats. The beats were way too bassy.felt like the songs were muddy compared to these . On my v20 everything sounds much better. The 598 open were way too quiet for me. These are much better.

Nov 26, 2016 at 11:54 AM Post #22 of 95
Curious to see how they compare to my ATH-M50X and B&W P5's.

Shane D

Well feel free to write a review or mini-review on here. Or link to a new thread. Up to you. 

I know they sound better than the M50X. I haven't tried the P5s but I have tried the P7s. I think these will outdo them (P5s) too. The P7s are known to be a bit bassy. Not sure about the P5s. If the same, then the Cs is better. Gotta have that clarity, but you can't if you have even a bit too much bass. There's a handful of songs I have that the Cs makes sound too bassy, but it's a very very small number. The rest actually sound better than my K550 I think b/c that one was very restrained when it came to bass. I'd use Bass Boost (from Oppo HA-2 amp/DAC) somewhat often on that, but I don't really ever need it on my Cs. 

Nov 26, 2016 at 5:50 PM Post #23 of 95
Sound coloration and Sennheiser name in the pros list?
This is little ridiculous....

Ad1-Who cares with the brand name, only the build quality and the sound quality matters...
Ad2-Sound coloration is the opposite of the clear, realistic sound..so its not that good if the sound is colored...its a serious flaw..

Nov 26, 2016 at 10:30 PM Post #24 of 95
Well feel free to write a review or mini-review on here. Or link to a new thread. Up to you. 

I know they sound better than the M50X. I haven't tried the P5s but I have tried the P7s. I think these will outdo them (P5s) too. The P7s are known to be a bit bassy. Not sure about the P5s. If the same, then the Cs is better. Gotta have that clarity, but you can't if you have even a bit too much bass. There's a handful of songs I have that the Cs makes sound too bassy, but it's a very very small number. The rest actually sound better than my K550 I think b/c that one was very restrained when it came to bass. I'd use Bass Boost (from Oppo HA-2 amp/DAC) somewhat often on that, but I don't really ever need it on my Cs. 
I don't think I am qualified to do a write up. I am not an audiophile, I just love clean, loud music.
I went shopping a year ago and narrowed it down to 2 models. Couldn't decide and I bought both. Found the ATH-M50X fuller/bassier and they became my home units. Also too big to walk around with.
The P5's (Gen 1) I found pushed the vocals (my favourite instrument) more but lack bass. Great for being out and about. Also, they crush my apparently oversized head.
Would love to have one set of hp's that do it all, but I doubt it. But at $126.00 landed, it's worth a try.
Was also looking at a pair through MassDrop, but $99.00 worked out to to a landed cost of about $170.00.

Nov 27, 2016 at 1:56 PM Post #25 of 95
I don't think I am qualified to do a write up. I am not an audiophile, I just love clean, loud music.
I went shopping a year ago and narrowed it down to 2 models. Couldn't decide and I bought both. Found the ATH-M50X fuller/bassier and they became my home units. Also too big to walk around with.
The P5's (Gen 1) I found pushed the vocals (my favourite instrument) more but lack bass. Great for being out and about. Also, they crush my apparently oversized head.
Would love to have one set of hp's that do it all, but I doubt it. But at $126.00 landed, it's worth a try.
Was also looking at a pair through MassDrop, but $99.00 worked out to to a landed cost of about $170.00.

Well sometimes the most interesting and best reviews are the ones NOT written by audiophiles. I consider myself "Audiophile Lite" actually. lol

Yeah P5s are pretty small. I'm not a fan of on-ear headphones either. That's part of the reason why I chose the Cs over my H6s. My H6s might be labeled "over-ear" but they're really more on-ear if you ask me. 

I think the Cs qualify as "do it all" headphones. This review someone posted basically says the same thing. 

Nov 27, 2016 at 2:33 PM Post #26 of 95
To be fair, I do not understand most of the lingo, will never buy high end gear and do not listen to classical music. I grew up on a mix of motown, pop and rock and recently discovered Miles Davis.
Should have these next week and am looking forward to trying them out.

What are your thoughts on open back models? I see there is a Mass Drop on the AKG K7XX. Too pricey for me right now, but looks interesting down the road.

Nov 27, 2016 at 2:54 PM Post #27 of 95
To be fair, I do not understand most of the lingo, will never buy high end gear and do not listen to classical music. I grew up on a mix of motown, pop and rock and recently discovered Miles Davis.
Should have these next week and am looking forward to trying them out.

What are your thoughts on open back models? I see there is a Mass Drop on the AKG K7XX. Too pricey for me right now, but looks interesting down the road.

I understand some of it, but not all of it I think. 

I'm like you. I have no plans to buy any one device over $400. I did buy the $600 Celsus Sound Companion One amp/DAC last year, but returned it for the $300 Oppo HA-2 b/c I felt it matched the sound quality the One was giving me. But since then, I haven't bought anything over $400. And truth is, I feel the AKG K550 and Sennheiser HD 598 Cs OUTDO some of the $400 ones (i.e. Oppo PM-3, Master & Dynamic MH40, B&W P7) as well! 

That's cool. I listen mostly to rock.......hard and soft. Classic, modern, some blues, pop, folk, techno/rock (i.e. Garbage, U2, etc), country, etc. 

Nice. Yeah just post your thoughts. Doesn't have to be fancy. lol

Open-back are great and most people think they are superior to closed-back. I don't think being open-back automatically makes a pair of headphones better than closed-back ones though. Just see my review of the AKG K553 (sounds exactly like K550) vs. Sennheiser 598 SE. However, in some cases they probably are better. I won't ever buy open-back though b/c I sometimes travel with my headphones and open-back 'phones are a NO-NO in mixed company. lol I'm EXTREMELY happy with my Cs 'phones and wouldn't want anything else except maybe the new $1500 AKG K872. LOL (They are the closed-back version of the K812.) 

Yeah I was looking at the K7XX this morning. Looks really nice. Description on Massdrop says they're more bassy than the K702 65th Anniversary Edition they're based off of, which may not be a bad thing? lol But yeah, they're open-back, so I'm def not buying even though I wouldn't mind at all tryin' them out. 

Nov 30, 2016 at 8:11 AM Post #28 of 95
  Sound coloration and Sennheiser name in the pros list?
This is little ridiculous....

Ad1-Who cares with the brand name, only the build quality and the sound quality matters...
Ad2-Sound coloration is the opposite of the clear, realistic sound..so its not that good if the sound is colored...its a serious flaw..

First for the Sennheiser name in the pro list it was a bit of joke and the fact that Sennheiser is doing good whatever the model. If i say for exemple Beats all people will say its crap and if I say Sennheiser people will say man thats good. So yeah Sennheiser makes good sound quality and have a good build, isn't that all matter like you said?

Second, sound coloration is the opposite of the clear sound yes the realistic sound? No. Why? Let me put in evidence recording in a studio, the sound willl be clear crystal and realistic. Now go in a live show, how is the sound? not as clear eh? But still its freaking realistic sound! You are listening to real instruments here. Both sounds are realistic but not both have the same sound signature. Some people prefer listening cds from studio record and others prefer the live. This is not a flaw, its a preference..

Nov 30, 2016 at 8:11 AM Post #29 of 95
First for the Sennheiser name in the pro list it was a bit of joke and the fact that Sennheiser is doing good whatever the model. If i say for exemple Beats all people will say its crap and if I say Sennheiser people will say man thats good. So yeah Sennheiser makes good sound quality and have a good build, isn't that all matter like you said?

Second, sound coloration is the opposite of the clear sound yes the realistic sound? No. Why? Let me put in evidence recording in a studio, the sound willl be clear crystal and realistic. Now go in a live show, how is the sound? not as clear eh? But still its freaking realistic sound! You are listening to real instruments here. Both sounds are realistic but not both have the same sound signature. Some people prefer listening cds from studio record and others prefer the live. This is not a flaw, its a preference..

Nov 30, 2016 at 11:18 AM Post #30 of 95
I've had the 598 CS for a few days now, I also own the 598 SE and have performed some unscientific A/B testing. Frequency response charts for the 598 SE can be found online where you find slightly pronounced lows around 90-300hz, even but slightly recessed mids and accentuated highs 8-11khz. Listening to music and sine sweeps critically on the CS my impression is that the lows are slightly less pronounced but extend deeper into sub bass (flatter), the mids are a little more forward (maybe slightly harsh) and the highs are slightly less pronounced. The listening experience is great on both and I feel like they compliment each other well.

SE: More bass but a little stuffy (200hz), more comfortable (open design, bit lighter), slightly more clarity (highs)
CS: Deeper but less bass overall, flatter, slightly harsh upper mids, nicer ear pad material imo

If I had to pick one it would probably be the SE's but only by a small margin.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back