Review of the sennheiser HD 598 CS (close version)
Dec 7, 2016 at 2:41 PM Post #46 of 95
Glad they work for you. On certain songs, I feel they indeed have the commonly mentioned Sennheiser veil.

Hi Razornova, 

I'm still experimenting with various custom EQs on the Cs via my Poweramp app. The Rock EQ preset tends to be too bassy it seems a lot of the time, so I have a "Bass Light" custom EQ preset I made that's basically just Rock with less bass. It seems like the majority of the time that's the way to go, but then last night I listened to my copy of Michael Jackson's "Thriller" in DSD (which is one of the best sounding albums in existence IMHO, see reviews at bottom including mine dated 5/15/2015) and the bass from Rock was most DEF needed to make it sound right on the Cs. I just wish I could use ONE EQ for everything, but that would be too easy wouldn't it? lol Even my old AKG K550s, though the bass was less, didn't really NEED different EQs...........but, there were a handful of songs/albums where "Bass Boost" was necessary. So even they weren't exempt I guess. 

I have heard of that Sennheiser veil. I wonder if that plays a part in why "Rock" sounds better on the Cs than "Flat" does? I'm not sure which headphones they were, but at some point before the Cs over the last year, "Flat" started sounding better to me. It may very well have been the K550. Not sure now. But on the Cs "Flat" DEF does not sound good. 

Dec 20, 2016 at 6:59 PM Post #47 of 95
Amazon has these on sale again! Is anyone able to compare them to the Sony Mdr1a, purely from a comfort perspective? What's clamping force like? I find it a bit much with the Mdr1a.

Dec 20, 2016 at 8:03 PM Post #48 of 95
You have almost 0 clamping force on the senn 598 cs. Like I just check the sky and I almost lose it everytime (no joke). And i don't have a small head. My head's shape isn't anormal too. For a mobile headphone I find the clamping force is really a weakness for the cans.

Dec 20, 2016 at 8:05 PM Post #49 of 95
Amazon has these on sale again! Is anyone able to compare them to the Sony Mdr1a, purely from a comfort perspective? What's clamping force like? I find it a bit much with the Mdr1a.

I can't speak to the Sony model, but they are super comfortable. Not much clamping pressure. And they are HUGE. My ears fit comfortably inside the cups (unlike the ATH-M50X). Maybe that is why they sound better than the M50X to me?
Lastly, that suede ear cover is really nice. Not sure how it will feel in the hot, sweaty middle of summer, but I guess we'll see.

Shane D

Dec 20, 2016 at 8:12 PM Post #50 of 95

Really? I thought my old MDR-1As were very comfortable actually. I find the Cs to be about the same. They are def more comfortable than their open-back counterparts (HD 598/HD 598 SE). 

Dec 20, 2016 at 8:25 PM Post #51 of 95
Hmmmmm ok, thanks guys. Tbh the sonys are my first set of over-ears, so maybe I'm just spoilt and don't know what uncomfortable headphones really feel like haha. They just give me very slight headaches sometimes, and I have a pretty small head. That said I do wear them for maybe 5-6 hours at a time.

Really? I thought my old MDR-1As were very comfortable actually. I find the Cs to be about the same. They are def more comfortable than their open-back counterparts (HD 598/HD 598 SE). 

Obviously this is subjective, but do you have a preference between the sound of the mdr-1a and the hd 598 cs? Are the Senns much of a downgrade/upgrade/completely different headphone?

Dec 20, 2016 at 10:37 PM Post #52 of 95
Obviously this is subjective, but do you have a preference between the sound of the mdr-1a and the hd 598 cs? Are the Senns much of a downgrade/upgrade/completely different headphone?

Based on my own experiences, I would rate the HD 598 Cs above the MDR-1A for overall sound. The 1As sounded great, and maybe better in some aspects, but I found them to be a bit too bassy to the point where the bass was overshadowing or muddying up some of the mids and/or highs/treble. For a time I loved them but when I realized all that, I sold them off. 

I just bought the Cs and really do love them, however, there was something missing IMHO that none of the many other headphones I've reviewed had: a certain "magic" sound. I found that to be something that comes from the AKG K55X series. So I've had like all of them at this point at varying times..........first the AKG K550.........then after others the K553........and then most recently (2-3 headphones ago) the AKG K550 MK II. All 3 have the SAME exact sound signature, per AKG. The K553 has less headband padding than the other 2 (why? I have NO clue! lol), so def don't get that one. But now I've decided after comparing the K550 to the Cs that I want to go back to AKG again. I found that the "magic" sound they give can be pinpointed to the vocals. On the Cs, the vocals seem to kind of stay more narrow....... in the center, but the K55X series expands them out more so they sound more engaging. I tried the B&O 2nd Gen H6 and Cs b/c I wanted a bit more portability, but now I've realized I was losing something by going with those 2. So anyway, I just ordered the AKG K551 b/c it has a shorter cable than all 3 of those other ones (10' vs. 4'), and that I like. lol I no longer believe that the in-line remotes like the one the K551 has causes any kind of sound issue like I did before. (Note: It is my belief that the K551 sounds exactly like the other 3 mentioned here as well.)

So my advice.............get the AKG K551 and forget about the Senn Cs and 1As. The K551 is $100 cheaper than the 1A, and sounds better than it and the Cs. If you do, get the sweet case too which I also got (had it before with other AKGs.........EXCELLENT case!) from that same link (under "Frequently Bought Together", the CASEBUDi one). It's $5 cheaper than it was a few months ago too ($29.99 now). Since the cable is fixed, a warranty isn't a bad idea either, but that's your call. 

What source are you using? Any amp/DACs too? Let me know. You def wanna make sure you're getting enough power the AKGs. It's not so much that they need as they just sound noticeably better with the proper amp/DAC. 

And there ya go lol..............

Dec 21, 2016 at 1:12 AM Post #53 of 95
Ooft, the AKGs are slightly out of my price range at this point sadly, you make them sound so appealing. I got the 1as for about US$115 shipped from an Amazon France lightning deal haha. Thanks for the in depth comparisons though.
I mainly listen to google play music (320k mp3s) and some local flac files. Don't really have an expensive/fancy dac atm, just a little creative soundblaster e1 which I use with my laptop. I've started using an old sony Xperia Z phone for portable listening, it sounds pretty good to me so idk if i have good enough ears for it to be worth expensive upgrades. For the most part I use iems (which I find more comfortable), so I probably don't need a dedicated amp.

Dec 21, 2016 at 2:58 AM Post #54 of 95
  Ooft, the AKGs are slightly out of my price range at this point sadly, you make them sound so appealing. I got the 1as for about US$115 shipped from an Amazon France lightning deal haha. Thanks for the in depth comparisons though.
I mainly listen to google play music (320k mp3s) and some local flac files. Don't really have an expensive/fancy dac atm, just a little creative soundblaster e1 which I use with my laptop. I've started using an old sony Xperia Z phone for portable listening, it sounds pretty good to me so idk if i have good enough ears for it to be worth expensive upgrades. For the most part I use iems (which I find more comfortable), so I probably don't need a dedicated amp.

So you live in France? 

Yeah they are fantastic, but that doesn't mean the Cs are bad at all. Again, I'd still take them over the MDR-1As. So that's just something to consider, especially since they are the cheapest of the 3 (well, aside from that SICK deal you got the 1As for lol). 

You're very welcome!

Well the E1 is definitely a step in the right direction, that's for sure. It's been said to be able to drive even 600 ohm headphones, and that's impressive! So if you ever were to get the AKG K55X series headphones of your choice, you wouldn't necessarily have to be in a hurry to upgrade your amp/DAC E1. If you were, I could offer some suggestions to you. Just PM me when you're ready. I currently use the Oppo HA-2 amp/DAC, but there are cheaper ones that are arguably as good too. 

Yeah I had the Xperia Z3 and now currently the Xperia X Performance. Well you'll never know if it's "worth it" 'til you try something that's likely better out first. IEMs are cool but I think to get a more fuller sound and better soundstage too, headphones are something to consider, over-ear ones in particular (not on-ear). Yeah for IEMs you probably don't need a dedicated amp AS much, but you still may hear a difference in quality with one. But you definitely would on headphones for sure. 

MP3s and FLAC files are cool, esp FLAC. At least you're using 320 kbps mp3s and not lower. lol There's also Hi-Res albums out there, and the number of those has been steadily rising over the last couple years. They're what GOT me into premium headphones. I used to listen to music on a cheap $30 pair of V-Moda IEMs and thought I knew it all. Not even close. lol You should look on eBay too as I'd bought a couple AKGs on there for like $50 cheaper than what they were going for on Amazon at the time. Just a thought. Consider the K551 for the shortest cable, but if you can find the K550 and/or the K550 MK II for a cheaper price, then just buy 'em! They are VERY much worth it! (Just avoid the K553 only b/c of that minor but noticeable headband padding issue.)

Do you actually HAVE the MDR-1A? Or do you only have those IEMs?  

Dec 24, 2016 at 5:29 PM Post #55 of 95
Sorry if I missed this, but I just bought one of these from a fellow headfier who misplaced the short cable, so I need to grab a replacement.

Does this use the same locking mechanism as the old HD598, Momentum, or something else?

I'm looking to grab something cheap on Amazon.

Thanks!

Dec 25, 2016 at 1:49 AM Post #56 of 95
Sorry if I missed this, but I just bought one of these from a fellow headfier who misplaced the short cable, so I need to grab a replacement.

Does this use the same locking mechanism as the old HD598, Momentum, or something else?

I'm looking to grab something cheap on Amazon.

Thanks!

Hey shuto, 

Yes it does use the SAME "twist & lock in" mechanism of those headphones by Sennheiser. 

You have TWO options for shorter cables....... 1 is on Amazon, 1 isn't. There's pros and cons to both. I've owned both cables, so my info is firsthand. 

The braided 4' audio cable can be found here on Amazon. Great quality cable, but I'm not a braided cable fan. Seems like everytime it rubs up against your sleeve or couch etc, it makes a noise that I can mildly hear through my headphones while listening to music. It is the pricier of the 2 headphones, but its "twist and lock in" is better than the next option's. 

The non-braided 4.5' audio cable can be found here on Redco's website. This is a regular audio cable, and it too fits into the Cs perfectly. And it's only HALF the price of the braided cable IF you choose the USPS "First-Class Packing Service" shipping option during checkout. The ONLY real con with this one is minor, but I notice that although it totally fits into the Cs and does twist too, for whatever reason, it does NOT actually lock into place. A slight tug won't pull it out, but pull with just a bit more effort, and it WILL come out. If you're careful though this will most likely never happen to you. 

So there ya go! 

Dec 25, 2016 at 11:13 PM Post #57 of 95
Hey shuto, 

Yes it does use the SAME "twist & lock in" mechanism of those headphones by Sennheiser. 

You have TWO options for shorter cables....... 1 is on Amazon, 1 isn't. There's pros and cons to both. I've owned both cables, so my info is firsthand. 

The braided 4' audio cable can be found here on Amazon. Great quality cable, but I'm not a braided cable fan. Seems like everytime it rubs up against your sleeve or couch etc, it makes a noise that I can mildly hear through my headphones while listening to music. It is the pricier of the 2 headphones, but its "twist and lock in" is better than the next option's. 

The non-braided 4.5' audio cable can be found here on Redco's website. This is a regular audio cable, and it too fits into the Cs perfectly. And it's only HALF the price of the braided cable IF you choose the USPS "First-Class Packing Service" shipping option during checkout. The ONLY real con with this one is minor, but I notice that although it totally fits into the Cs and does twist too, for whatever reason, it does NOT actually lock into place. A slight tug won't pull it out, but pull with just a bit more effort, and it WILL come out. If you're careful though this will most likely never happen to you. 

So there ya go! 

Thanks for the information! I've used those cables for Sennheiser and Beyerdynamic headphones from New Fantasia, and found them to be solid replacements. The microphonics don't bother me, so I'll go with one of them.

Thanks again!

Dec 26, 2016 at 3:18 AM Post #58 of 95
Thanks for the information! I've used those cables for Sennheiser and Beyerdynamic headphones from New Fantasia, and found them to be solid replacements. The microphonics don't bother me, so I'll go with one of them.

Thanks again!

New Fantasia? Ok. You should post a link here to the cable page for them. Were the ones I mentioned the same as what you bought? Braided?

Does "lock'n'twist" actually work for you?

Jan 14, 2017 at 8:16 PM Post #59 of 95
Hi everyone, I'm upgrading from a pair of Sennheiser HD 449 (Very neutral but detailed sound) and I have a serious debate about getting these 598 Cs or the HD 569s (which claim they have more bass).

I mainly listen to Techno and EDM, but also Funk, Jazz and a bit of Rock from time to time.

How do you explain the lows section in these headphones? I've read all of your reviews in this thread and I'm convinced enough about the mids and highs, but not sure about bass.

Take these two examples to help you out:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Uwj8mkoEaE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V-J0rS_mswI

Thanks!

Jan 23, 2017 at 12:30 PM Post #60 of 95
Just ordered a pair of Cs' from Amazon.de, nice to hear my 3-button Momentum cable should fit these too. These could be a real winner for a pair for pretty much every use, being closed with removable cable etc. And because they only cost 100€, you can be less precious with them when throwing them into a bag or using in below freezing temps.

The rough mids have been mentioned a few times on many reviews/forums, we'll see. Better reproduction of low bass does sound very cool for my preferences. It should be fun to compare these to my Momentum & HD600.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back