Review of the Oyaide DB-510 – An "analog sounding" digital cable
Jun 23, 2010 at 3:43 PM Post #106 of 147
Hi Slim. I am new here but using digital gear for many years. I read through this thread and was wondering if you thought the Oyaide would be appropriate for a full range (speaker) system that already had very good extension in the low end. Would the notes of the Oyaide being really great in the low end mean that for a system like mine it might tilt the balance excessively in that range? And by comparison, how is the extension and "air" in the high end? Thanks.

Jun 24, 2010 at 12:41 PM Post #107 of 147

Quote:
Hi Slim. I am new here but using digital gear for many years. I read through this thread and was wondering if you thought the Oyaide would be appropriate for a full range (speaker) system that already had very good extension in the low end. Would the notes of the Oyaide being really great in the low end mean that for a system like mine it might tilt the balance excessively in that range? And by comparison, how is the extension and "air" in the high end? Thanks.

Hi tony22,

The answer would depend on 3 factors:
1. your current digital cable
2. the overall sound signature of your system
3. the interaction between your transport and your DAC (impedance, reflections...)

After comparing the Oyaide to many digital cables, coaxial and glass optical, I find the Oyaide to be rather on the neutral side. It is very smooth sounding (i.e not overarticulated) and the coloration of intruments is minimal through it. It is not always airy like the Stereovox XV2 but it has excellent high frequency extension when the recording calls for it.
I switched headphones recently and I tried a few digital cables but ended up going back to the Oyaide as it is the most realistic sounding.

However, If you think that your system might benefit from a "fast" digital cable, there is an updated/improved version of the Stereovox XV2 that is being sold for less than the Oyaide. See here: http://www.sixmoons.com/audioreviews/blackcat/veloce.html It has a few improvements over the XV2 which might solve the slightly artificial highs I heard with the XV2.

Jun 24, 2010 at 1:38 PM Post #108 of 147
slim.a thanks for bringing it to our attention, the Black Cat looks very nice.
Enjoy your new cans!

Jun 24, 2010 at 9:30 PM Post #109 of 147

Quote:
Hi tony22,

The answer would depend on 3 factors:
1. your current digital cable
2. the overall sound signature of your system
3. the interaction between your transport and your DAC (impedance, reflections...)

However, If you think that your system might benefit from a "fast" digital cable, there is an updated/improved version of the Stereovox XV2 that is being sold for less than the Oyaide. See here: http://www.sixmoons.com/audioreviews/blackcat/veloce.html It has a few improvements over the XV2 which might solve the slightly artificial highs I heard with the XV2.

slim.a, my current cable is a 1.5M Nordost Silver Shadow. Unlike some users, I've found in my system that it is not harsh or thin. I get a very full-bodied sound through the low end and midrange, and very good natural extension through the highs. The acoustic realism on natural instruments is also quiite excellent.

I've been following the info on the Veloce for a bit. When I was trying digital cables I did try the older Stereovox HDXV and found it not to my liking (I'd have to go through my notes to get the exact detail as to why).

The Veloce has a decent return policy. Maybe I'll try that first. I wish there was a good review of it somewhere out there. The 6moons early look didn't say much.

Jul 24, 2010 at 6:03 AM Post #110 of 147

Quote:
Stereovox win over the DB-510 for the details, 3D soundstage, neutrality. Yes, the bass region is a bit thin.
DB-510 have fuller bass region and more bass details but that bring some coloration. It's soundstage have less depth and smooter top highs.
DB-510 is very musical ...

I didn't done A/B between HDXV and XV2 ... but heard XV2/DB510 and was similar to HDXV/DB510.

At this point, Stereovox is the better compromise for me. But XV2 is no longer in production and the only Stereovox I can buy is the Ultra at 600$ ... while I have already the DB-510 ... It's not my priority while DB-510 is not bad at all.

Quote:
I have DB-510 and Stereovox atm (the version prior the XV2)

The differences I see are the layer in the soundstage, détails and the bass. Stereovox have the soundstage 3D and better details while DB-510 have a big fat bass but more 2D sound ...

I'll live with a bit to see if I would not change my mind.

I am pretty sure I will sell it to buy the new Stereovox Ultra ...

Quote:
I have the prior version of the XV2 and have the DB-510.
I prefer the Stereovox, more details and more laidback and better soundstage (depth).

Stereovox seem to have a thin bass when doing A/B with the Stereovox.
Best soundstage (more details, more space) = better for me.

WHile the coax cable need to be matched with the DAC/AMP/Headphone ... I keep them all the time my B22 will be finished. On my actual gear (SinglePower Dragon, Hiface, Behringer SRC2496 modded, HD800), the Stereovox fit better.

* I hope will prefer the DB-510 at the end ... because I have it already .. the Stereovox is not mine and pay 600$ for Stereovox Ultra is insane price for just a coax cable. My B22 cost that price for the parts ...

So after a long time of using the Oyaide DR-510, I switched back to the BJC coax (Belden 1694) of the same length and my results were similar to yours. The Oyaide is warmer, bassier, smoother and tubier sounding. But, it has a less pronounced attack and a slower transient response (most noticeably in the bass) than the BJC. The BJC seems to extend higher, but at the same time its treble isn't as refined as the Oyaide. I had to switch back to the Oyaide after a little while of listening because I didn't like the treble on the BJC, though its bass was more accurate than the Oyaide (re quality), even if it was less in quantity.

Jul 24, 2010 at 11:05 AM Post #111 of 147
I have been searching for about 7 yrs to find a digital cable that beats the $100 cable I still use today. I replaced a very expensive Kimber Orchid when this it was bettered by this cable. Since then, I have tried the Stereovox ( not enough bass ), Nordost Silver Shadow ( not enough bass and too etched ), Oyaide DR-510 ( way too smooth and lifeless ), Analysis Plus Digital Oval ( not bad really ) and the Tara Labs Digital One ( too lush and warm ) .....

No matter what I have tried, I have never been able to improve upon the cable my cousin makes. You would think I would wise up and quit looking , but the audiophile mindset never rests !  LOL

Jul 24, 2010 at 1:54 PM Post #112 of 147
Mind naming this magical $100 cable? Where can I buy one?

Jul 30, 2010 at 9:07 AM Post #114 of 147
Meanwhile, I thought this extensive and remarkably well written review of the HiFace/Oyaide DB510 could be of interest for some of you...

http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/frr.pl?rcabl&1277820660&read&3&zzlBlindjim&&

And I just found a retailer in my country with decent prices on the Oyaide DR510... I think it's time for me to give it a shot 
tongue.gif

Jul 30, 2010 at 11:54 AM Post #116 of 147
Mine is now on its way, so I'll let you know when I receive it... I am very curious to hear how it compares to my current RCA coaxial Apogee Wyde Eye, which is considered, if I am not mistaken, a very serious contender for its price, and recommended component by Stereophile.

Jul 30, 2010 at 1:33 PM Post #118 of 147
Jul 30, 2010 at 5:27 PM Post #120 of 147

Quote:
Mine is now on its way, so I'll let you know when I receive it... I am very curious to hear how it compares to my current RCA coaxial Apogee Wyde Eye, which is considered, if I am not mistaken, a very serious contender for its price, and recommended component by Stereophile.

I have heard the Wyde Eye in my system. I can concur with the reviews and opinions. A very nice IC.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back