review of Sony SA1000 and Sa5000 in swedish hifi & Musik
Mar 14, 2005 at 2:33 PM Post #16 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wmcmanus
Although I've yet to hear the SA5000's with my own two ears (the only ones that count and the only true basis from which to form an opinion), what they seem to be saying in this review does have a familiar tone from reading head-fi threads about the SA5000's:

1. the SA5000's are more "hi-fi" (in the good sense of the word) because they extract details like no other headphones, but

2. this added precision comes at the cost of a slight loss of "musical(ity)" SA5000's rated an 8, while HD650's rated a 9.

Of course the ratings for the Phillips and such do make one wonder. Yet, it's nice in that even the narrative description of the SA5000's seems to be right on point.

This description seems fair enough to me. I like the SA5k (obviously, eh?) but certainly appreciate the things that the HD650 do better. As for the narrative, however - if you want "realistic depth" and "3d soundfield" you're gonna have to go for the Qualia...
icon10.gif

Best,

-Jason

Mar 14, 2005 at 2:35 PM Post #17 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by jjcha
As for the narrative, however - if you want "realistic depth" and "3d soundfield" you're gonna have to go for the Qualia...
icon10.gif

Best,

-Jason

You're an evil man!
tongue.gif

Mar 14, 2005 at 2:59 PM Post #18 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wmcmanus
You're an evil man!
tongue.gif

Me?!? You're not the one looking for Shanling T-CD300 dealers in Tokyo... (and looking at the obscene Japan mark-up for that matter...)

icon10.gif
icon10.gif
icon10.gif

Best,

-Jason

Mar 14, 2005 at 4:35 PM Post #19 of 24
wiped --

Please, could you tell the ratings and maybe some comment for the HD595 (and if you don't mind, the HD555 too) ?
I'd be thankful.

Edit: Oh, the DT880 as well... Thanks...
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 14, 2005 at 5:35 PM Post #20 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrea
wiped --

Please, could you tell the ratings and maybe some comment for the HD595 (and if you don't mind, the HD555 too) ?
I'd be thankful.

Edit: Oh, the DT880 as well... Thanks...
smily_headphones1.gif

sure, i have nothing better to do :)

HD 595
Hifi :6
Music:6
Value: 4

Comments:
Cold and naked sound..
far away from the details in 580.

HD 555
Hifi: 5
Music: 6
Value: 8

Comments:
Less difference between 595 and 555 than you might think
good bass and resolution, but less detail and soundstage compared to 595
Not as deep bass ass 595
If you like the 595 you can save money and get the 555

DT 880:
Hifi: 8

Comments:
Good resolution compared to DT 531
Also better bass
A little elektrostat like
An headphone that should be appreciated by those who like classical/acustic music since it feels a bit laid back etc.
Not as much dynamic and punch as philips, pioneer and the two sony headphones

Mar 14, 2005 at 7:01 PM Post #21 of 24
Interesting. Thank you.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 18, 2005 at 4:53 PM Post #22 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by wiped
DT 880:
Hifi: 8

Comments:
Good resolution compared to DT 531
Also better bass
A little elektrostat like
An headphone that should be appreciated by those who like classical/acustic music since it feels a bit laid back etc.
Not as much dynamic and punch as philips, pioneer and the two sony headphones

more than anything else, I get the feeling that Beyerdynamic hasn't been advertising enough in Hifi&Musik (I have no proof for this, I just get that feeling when the DT-880s get beaten by the Philips HP-1000).

Mar 19, 2005 at 8:40 AM Post #23 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by wiped
But i have to say that these "scores" are always kind of strange since for example the philips SBC HP1000 got:
Hifi:8
Music: 9
Value: 10
Price for the philips is 1300 skr which is about $180
So i think that what is written in the text is more relevant..

That's about what I would rate it. I prefer the HP1000 to the $300 Grado 325i that is receiving rave reviews at the moment. I very much like the 325i, but I think the Philips edges it out ever so slightly for me. At $180, it is well worth the money (I paid $40 brand-new
eek.gif
).

dogday, have you heard the hp1000? I've never heard the DT880, so I can't compare the two, but if you're making that statement on assumption, you might be surprised. I know I was surprised at how good it actually was when I heard it, especially coming off of hearing their supposed previous "top of the line" HP910.

Mar 23, 2005 at 6:29 PM Post #24 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by EyeAmEye
dogday, have you heard the hp1000? I've never heard the DT880, so I can't compare the two, but if you're making that statement on assumption, you might be surprised. I know I was surprised at how good it actually was when I heard it, especially coming off of hearing their supposed previous "top of the line" HP910.

No, I haven't heard the HP1000s, and it's quite possible that I would be surprised; I just find it hard to believe that they would beat the DT-880s. But I'll definitely try them out if I see a pair.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back