review of Sony SA1000 and Sa5000 in swedish hifi & Musik
Mar 14, 2005 at 11:24 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

wiped

New Head-Fier
NO3: Mars 2005

Inserted this into a different thread but i think it might be good to create a new thread for this. Anyone interested in Sa5000 and Sa1000 might get something out of the below:

SA1000

Compared to Sa5000,
Comfort is as good as the Sa5000
similar soundstage, little less 3d
Not as detailed or transaparent
Less bass which makes the music thinner

SA5000

Comments from the review:
The sound is more like a labratory instrument than a Hifi headphone
The details and clarity is something we have never heard before...
The sony reveals everything in the recording
But the real strength is on a nother level:
The soundstage, and 3d impression.
The SA5000 has a realistic dept and 3 dimensional soundfield which makes all other phones in this review sound dull and closed in..

Conclusion (other headphones was also in the reviiew)
If HD650 is the bentley of the headphoneworld the Sa5000 is the ultratechnical McLaren F1
Sure it's expensive but as headphone it takes everything to the limit, and the 3d sense and soundstage makes the other headphones in the review sound like the sound passes trough madrasses compared to the clear fresh mountain air that the Sony lets in...

translate from swedish.. hope it makes sense.

Grades:
1-10

FYI, the music grade is: Relates to possibilities for the headphone to sound good out of e.g. mp3 player and "fun to listen to", while hifi.. is hifi

Sa1000
Hifi: 7
Music: 6
Value: 5

Sa5000 (FYI, price stated in magazine 8000SKR which is $1200, so the value is clearly based on the wrong price...)
Hifi: 10
Music: 8
Value: 4

Amp used:
Harmony Design Ear 9
www.harmonydesign.se

they also used the sender unit of philips cordless SBC HD1500

Music or source not stated.

-----------

Also tested:
HD 555
Philips SBC 1000
Pioneer SE-A1000
Technics RP-DH1200
HD 595
HD 580
Beyerdynamic DT 880
HD 650

FYI Philips SBC HP1000 and Pioneer SE-A1000 was selected as best value.

Mar 14, 2005 at 11:30 AM Post #2 of 24
Thanks for that, appreciated the translation.

I noticed that the reviewer has a particular view on "value", if its good and scores badly on value what do you make of that?

Also wondered where the HD650 scored?

Cheers,

TonyAAA

Mar 14, 2005 at 11:37 AM Post #4 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by TonyTripleA
Thanks for that, appreciated the translation.

I noticed that the reviewer has a particular view on "value", if its good and scores badly on value what do you make of that?

Also wondered where the HD650 scored?

Cheers,

TonyAAA

Values is always something subjective.... I think that if the Sony would have been at skr 4500, which is possible if you buy it online, the score would have been higher. But usually at these magazines, cheaper is higher valuer and vice versa...

HD650
Hifi: 9
Music: 9
Value: 6

But i have to say that these "scores" are always kind of strange since for example the philips SBC HP1000 got:
Hifi:8
Value: 10
Price for the philips is 1300 skr which is about $180
So i think that what is written in the text is more relevant..

Mar 14, 2005 at 11:45 AM Post #5 of 24
Thanks again. And yes, value is in the eye of the beholder... and definitely NOT in the eyes of the wife/husband of the beholder...
biggrin.gif

The HD650 scored very well overall though. Any other revelations on the Sennheisers in the text?

Cheers,

TonyAAA

Mar 14, 2005 at 11:54 AM Post #6 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by TonyTripleA
The HD650 scored very well overall though. Any other revelations on the Sennheisers in the text?

Well what i wrote about the HD650 was from the conclusion of all headphones.
from the hd650 review:
Compared to Hd600, the hd650 is more detailed and balanced.
Different soundcharacteristics compared to the hd600
Stability, and a generous sound.
Not as lively? as the Philips, pioneer or the expensive Sony bu tmore laidback and comfortable sound.

Mar 14, 2005 at 12:23 PM Post #7 of 24
No mention of the SA-3000?

Mar 14, 2005 at 12:35 PM Post #10 of 24
Then again the usual price of HD650 in Hifi shops in Sweden seems to be around 4500 SKR which is $666
evil_smiley.gif
eek.gif
I'm impressed that it scored a 6.

Hifi & Musik hype up Philips headphones a lot IMO, I've read some of their magazines and found it quite surprising. Surprisingly the HP890 sound was really disappointing and quite frankly built quality was flimsy (Tried the headphone in Mediamarkt, Flensburg). Then I found Head-Fi.

Mar 14, 2005 at 12:45 PM Post #12 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by ablaze
wiped:
how did the Philips SBC HP1000 score?

Hifi:8
Value: 10

And some comments:
Rumbling lowbass
Loudness "built in"...
Sharpness in the top.
Easy to be driven by a mp3

Mar 14, 2005 at 12:48 PM Post #13 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Daroid
Then again the usual price of HD650 in Hifi shops in Sweden seems to be around 4500 SKR which is $666
evil_smiley.gif
eek.gif
I'm impressed that it scored a 6.

Hifi & Musik hype up Philips headphones a lot IMO, I've read some of their magazines and found it quite surprising. Surprisingly the HP890 sound was really disappointing and quite frankly built quality was flimsy (Tried the headphone in Mediamarkt, Flensburg). Then I found Head-Fi.

Yes the philips seems very hyped by them
In this test the pioneer SE-A1000 actually got equal or even a bit better score, which to them is perfect for mp3...
it sounds like the cheaper phones they aim for MP3, where good scores are given if they are easy driven etc.. and the more expensive ones, there that isn't as important.. guess they think the users differs.

Mar 14, 2005 at 2:20 PM Post #15 of 24
Although I've yet to hear the SA5000's with my own two ears (the only ones that count and the only true basis from which to form an opinion), what they seem to be saying in this review does have a familiar tone from reading head-fi threads about the SA5000's:

1. the SA5000's are more "hi-fi" (in the good sense of the word) because they extract details like no other headphones, but

2. this added precision comes at the cost of a slight loss of "musical(ity)" SA5000's rated an 8, while HD650's rated a 9.

Of course the ratings for the Phillips and such do make one wonder. Yet, it's nice in that even the narrative description of the SA5000's seems to be right on point.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back