Review of Sennheiser HD 202s (LONG)
Feb 11, 2002 at 5:31 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 31

delenda est Sony

500+ Head-Fier
New closed Senn design intended for D.J.s per the company's website. I loved the 497s and saw the 202s at Virgin for a mere $30 (list) so I thought I'd give these a shot.

Technical Stats: Freq response of 18-18,000 Hz, a bit lower than the 497s range of 24-22,000 Hz, but not quite as high. Impedance of 32 Ohms, same as the 497s. Senn stated SPL of 115 dB is 3 dB higher than the 497s 112 rating. Per HFer Thomas, Senn uses an oddball calculation for SPL, so actual rating for the 202s is roughly 98-101 dB. THD of less than .5%, slightly more than the 497s .2%. Same 3m OFC cable. Weight is a mere 130g, roughly the same as the 497s. These are a closed supraaural design. Appears to use Senn's modular design, so broken pieces can be replaced on an individual basis. Nickel plated mini plug w 1/4" adapter supplied. 2 year warranty is standard.

Appearance and construction: Exact same design as the 4X7 series. Inexpensive flexible plastic band with the earcups mounted on somewhat flexible rails. 202 uses pleather earcup coatings rather than the 477s cloth pads. Oddly, these seem a bit better made than my 497s. Particularly the ratchets in the cup rails seem to hold better and there is less shifting around once the phone cups are in place on my ears. The 202s are also black, which means they look a lot better than the silver design of the "higher end" 497s. Senn should have made the higher end models black and the lower end models silver IMHO. The phones seem sort of ugly at first, but they grow on you, especially in black. They at least are reasonably distinctive and certainly look like no other headphones out there. Overall build impression is mixed; everything works, but there is no overall impression of sturdiness, like on the Sony V6 or Denon 550s that I own. The modular construction and long warranty should help relieve any long term durability concerns.

Sonic Testing: Used Aiwa receiver jack, Sony DJ61 PCDP, and Logitech Z560 PC speaker set jack. Music used:

Classical:
Dvorak's New World Symphony (Dohanyi, Cleveland SO), Bartok's Concerto for Orchestra (Levine, Chicago SO), Berlioz's Symphonie Fantastique (Norrington, London Classical Players), Messiaen's Turangalila Symphony (Rattle, Birmingham SO)

Jazz:
Miles Davis: Sketches of Spain, Herbie Hancock: Maiden Voyage, John Coltrane: Giant Steps

Metal: Hollenthon: Domus Mundi, Metallica: And Justice For All, The Gathering: How To Measure A Planet?, Tiamat: Wildhoney

Electronica: Arabica, Chemical Brothers: Come With Us, Crystal Method: Tweekend

Vocals/Other: Sinead O'Connor: Lion and the Cobra, Rent Soundtrack, Mickey Hart: Planet Drum

Strengths: For a set of $30 phones, the limitations of these cans were never obvious during testing which is a huge compliment. The 202s are at least competent with everything thrown at them and excellent with most modern music. Bass extension seems comparable to the advertised freq range and the tone is just about right, though oddly for closed cans the 202s sound very similar to the open 497s on bass heavy music. I was expecting a deep V6 kind of sound, but the 202s were relatively sedate. Bass is noticable and balanced, but not at all dominant. I found the handling of bass between the 497s and the 202s to be remarkably similar, but that is a good thing for the 202s as the 497 handles bass so well.

The coloration here is rather a bit more warm than the 497s but not to any unbalancing effect. Midrange is carefully balanced, more prominent at the lower end than in the higher, but never recessed or overshadowed by bass. Male and female vocals were handled well, with no sibilance or hollowness.

Articulation was average, not quite as analytical as the V6, but a careful listener can easily pick out various instruments in a given track. I would not use these as studio phones, or for DJing purposes, but for the headphone enthusiast at home or using a portable, these would be just fine.

Soundstage was broad and immediate, though not quite as up close as the Grado SR60. There is an excellent sense of presence and of overall musicality, making these quite different from most closed cans. No problems with murky distant soundstage as on the older Senn 400s & 500s.

Weaknesses: Simply put, treble. At the higher end these phones lose quite a bit of their skill. On Messiaen, these phones clipped at high volumes from a receiver jack, and even with less extreme classical sections, the higher end sort of faded away. Not noticeable unless you were very familiar with the piece as played on say the 497s, but classical is not the forte of these cans. Jazz reproduction was adequate, but not thrilling. Again, assuming you are not blasting very shrill music, you will not hear any really bad things from these, but I would not use these for a diet of mainly classical or old school (non-funk) jazz. Bassheads looking for earquakes from Chemical Bros/ Crystal Method may find the balanced non-dramatic bass lacking, but other folks will be more than happy with the detailed and precise bass that these cans do offer. (Unredeemable bassheads, check out the V6 or the Beyer 250-80s.)

Non-Sonic considerations: These were just as easy to drive on a portable as from a receiver. Unlike the 497s, playing these from a receiver did not add much to the sound. This is not a bad thing; the 202s sounded fine at both power levels. (The 497s sound good from a portable, and even better from a receiver.) Comfort was comparable to the 497s---i.e. I had no problems, but larger heads might need to stretch these out overnight. Also, a silly point but oddly endearing, Senn gives you a little oval cord wrap plastic gadget which makes these very easy to use with portables. (Why don't they give you one of these with the 497s too?) Phones were durable enough and got through a week of portable use with no problems. The pleather is comfy, but does not breathe well, leading to Sweaty Ear Syndrome. These are a bit louder at max output than the 497s, making it easier to deafen yourself. These cans provide some minimal acoustic isolation, though you will not be mistaking them for ER4s, or even the 250-80. There is some minor sound bleeding, nowhere near as much as the mini-speaker SR60s, noticeably less than the 497s, but slightly noisier than the V6.

Summary: Oddly marketed as DJ/Studio phones, I cannot see anyone using them for those purposes. With the flimsy feel, off neutral coloration, and general non-analytical nature. the 202s are easily trumped by say the Sony V6 in the studio/DJ role. However, these may just be the best closed phone design that you can find for under $60, and possibly for under $100. Koss should just cancel the UR20/30 line right now, as these devastate those other cans at the same price point. (Though the Koss's are circumaural designs, which may hold some appeal on a comfort level.) These may even be the most musical closed phones right on up to the $150 level of the Beyer 250s.

These phones are perfect for modern music fans who want balanced inexpensive phones that do not have many prominent flaws typical to closed designs. I would not use them for mainly classical music, and would be hesitant to use them for jazz, but for rock, metal, dance, etc these will be just fine. The price point makes these ideal for portable use, and I think the SportaPros have a serious competitor (if not the KSC 35s; can't say as I haven't heard the 35s.) Anyone needing good cheap phones to listen to without disturbing others overly much should invest in these and anyone new to headphones will find these a wonderfully versatile set of cans, again as long as they aren't mainly classical fans.

Comparisons: Senn 497 costs twice as much and is more versatile, but also noisier. Senn 477 costs close to twice as much and (according to at least one HFer Hamsterball) has problems hitting some deep bass notes that the 202s were fine with. Senn 212 costs twice as much and looks to be more of a serious basshead design, i.e. more of a V6 sound, but is also that tacky silver color.

Final Thoughts: At $30, these are a treat for headphone veterans and a great intro to the New Sound of Sennheiser. For commuters on a budget, these are a strong contender for headphone of choice, especially if you want balanced though still enjoyable bass.

Questions/comments welcome!!
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 11, 2002 at 8:17 AM Post #3 of 31
5180_pro1.jpg

These look like 497s with a piece of plastic over the holes. Based on delenda's comments, weaknesses with jazz and classical that were said about the 477s, I think that's probably the case. 202 = closed 477 and 212Pro = closed 497, the sound differences between the two are probably comparable minus some treble.

There's also a 437 and 457 that also have the same design. Same headband, different earpiece backs and foam earpads. Anyone seen or heard these yet?

5177_pro1.jpg

(HBZ)

Feb 11, 2002 at 11:10 AM Post #4 of 31
Great, thorough review delenda est Sony, thanks.
Interesting thing, these 2xx series is still not in the shops even in Berlin. Reading these good reviews, I went last week to a couple of big stores in town, but couldn't find them in stock to audition. Couldn't get a quote for the price in Germany either.

Feb 11, 2002 at 1:37 PM Post #5 of 31
Quote:

Originally posted by Hamsterball_Z

These look like 497s with a piece of plastic over the holes. Based on delenda's comments, weaknesses with jazz and classical that were said about the 477s, I think that's probably the case. 202 = closed 477 and 212Pro = closed 497, the sound differences between the two are probably comparable minus some treble.

If so, then the 202/212Pro's are a bargain at about half the price.

Feb 11, 2002 at 3:06 PM Post #6 of 31
just to clarify on the HD212---these are the higher end of the two new Senn closed designs based on the 4X7 frame. They are listed at a $60 price. Per Senns site, they feature all the 202s features plus:
" * Extra-thin diaphragm for precise trebles

*Well defined mid-band and spatial sound
reproduction due to foam damping element"

so these may be better with classical and jazz than the 202s. The foam might also give a deeper bass sound. They are colored an ugly silver, like the 497s. The 202s (like the 477s) are black.

Availability for both 202 & 212 is limited at this time. If you don't have a Virgin Megastore near, www.southtronic.com
has the 202s for $28 plus shipping. I have never dealt with this vendor, but choice of merchants seems limited. The 212 is also available from Southtronics for $53.

As for the lower end 4x7s, I have looked at their technical stats and they seem greatly inferior to the 202/477/497. I would say that decent sound starts at the level of the 477s in the open designs. Closed phone fans are lucky to have the inexpensive 202, but the 437s/57s just don't look like they will sound decent. But reviews would be welcome from any brave pioneers!

As for the 202s being a closed 477 design, when I first started testing them I was 90% certain. Over time, based on comments of hamsterball and Srapps as to the sound of the 477, I am less sure. In any case, buyers will probably not be disappointed!!

Feb 11, 2002 at 4:38 PM Post #7 of 31
Delenda, thanks mucho for the review. Its sounds like Senn has another hit on its hands. The thing I can't understand is why Senn is not pushing this line harder in the marketplace. Think about how many people are going to Best Buy and Circuit City and dropping $30 on Sony MDR-V250 or more for the horrendous MDR-V600?! They have all but ceded this market to the likes of Sony and Koss (and Panasonic, etc.), when it appears they have a product that is more than up to the task. I was fortunate to find the Senn 477 at Circuit City, but Circuit City is so inconsistent on the stocking policies on these types of products, I may never see them again. In fact, when I purchased the 477, I asked the clerk to search other stores in the Chicago area for inventory. Of the 4 stores checked, none had the 477 on the order list; ie. they do not and likely will not carry this model. I wonder if Sennheiser USA's marketing folks are doing their job. I'll assume that they are trying to maintain Senns image by distributing products in more "exclusive" locations, but the reality is the volume is at the big chains, and this is not going to change.

Another issue - the bass on the 477. I don't know why the other reviewer had an issue with the low bass on the 477. I have had no issues with either the 477 or 497, and it sounds like the 202 handles bass quite well. Granted, I don't listen to electronica or speed metal (because, IMHO, its all ****ing garbage), but for people who listen to real music, you will not have an issue with the Senns.

Feb 11, 2002 at 5:15 PM Post #8 of 31
Srapps, Hamsterball Z is the only commentator that mentioned a bass issue with the 477s. I haven't heard them myself and I just wanted to address all the possible issues. HBZ was using an MP3 player, so maybe there was some issue with the mastering of the track. Or maybe a build quality variance or subjective listener kind of thing.

Senn does not seem to be doing much of a job in marketing these phones. But I never recall them doing much in the way of aggressive U.S. marketing anyway. It is distressing to see Aiwa and Sony have such a lock on the marketplace, especially when their best selling headphones are so crappy. Folks who buy hedphones don't even know what they're missing when they get some cute lil Sony w detachable cup covers or lights that flash to the beat. Ah well! Now that the new Senns are easier to use with portable devices, we can all wear them in public and evangelize the headphone buying world...
biggrin.gif

Feb 12, 2002 at 1:08 AM Post #9 of 31
I'm curious if anybody has ever ordered from Southtronic before, as this is a retailer I'm unfamiliar with. Their info page states that only Visa and MC are accepted but paying by AMEX is an option on the checkout form. BTW, they also have a nice 30-day satisfaction guarentee.

Feb 12, 2002 at 2:58 AM Post #10 of 31
Correction, I don't have an MP3 player, I listen to a lot of streaming MP3 radio on my computer. Not exactly a pristine source but It's the only way I can find new music that I like (indie pop stuff mostly). There's not a single commercial station playing anything decent these days and there's no college stations within range of me. I don't just listen to streaming MP3s, most of my testing has been with CDs (the Chemical Brothers track for example) but I want to judge on all sources I use regularly.

Anyway, my opinion on the 477 bass was more in comparison to the Radio Shack Pro35s (Koss KTX-Pro clones) which have more bass with bass boost off than the 477s have with it on (I'm not using boost normally, just for comparison). The disadvantage is they can get muddy on some songs. The ones they don't though, man they just add this physicality to some instruments, drums and bells in particular if they're recorded right. It's probably because the driver is making more direct contact with the ear. The streaming MP3s don't seem to push the "mud" button on the Pro35s so they generally sound better than the 477s to me with this source.

The 477s don't have much of that physical quality but they do have a more even sound . They're a bit lifeless sometimes but they do seem to be improving with burn-in. I've also got the 497s at home to compare them with. They're burning-in now, they should be at about 30 hours like the 477s. The sound was almost even between them before, we'll see how much difference there is now.

As far as Sennheiser's marketing, these models are pretty new still, only the 477/497 is listed on the US website. Circuit City seems to have more in stock now, they had about four 477s and one 497. They've also got proper price tags on the racks, $49.99 for the 477 and $69.99 for the 497 (last month you could get the 477 for $24.99 which is what I did.
biggrin.gif
) I'm sure more places will carry them but I doubt you'll ever see Senn's in Best Buy or Target, probably an image thing.

(HBZ)

Feb 12, 2002 at 3:32 AM Post #11 of 31
nice half price deal there HBZ!
wink.gif
I guess sometimes it pays to deal with those dolts at Circuit City...

Yeah, I have the KTX pros and they do add a little extra umph to everything, but they get muddy real easy especially out of receiver jacks. If you like those, you have to get the Sony V6...
(See the cycle of endless headphone acquisition tempts another victim...
evil_smiley.gif
)

Feb 12, 2002 at 5:50 AM Post #12 of 31
So, I wasn't the only one who found the 477 for $24.99. Man, those CC people are screwed up! I returned a pair of 477s to my local CC today; maybe if I wait a couple of days, I can buy them for "half-price" as an open box!!

Feb 12, 2002 at 6:18 AM Post #13 of 31
I saw both the 477 and the 497 at my Circuit City in Spokane, WA. They had the 477 for $24.99, but the 497 was full list price at $69.99. Can you figure that one out? Although, owning the 497 I still would have chose it over the 477. Hey, if it sounds better than a $150 headphone it's certainly a bargain at 70 bucks.

Feb 12, 2002 at 6:32 AM Post #14 of 31
Hey, Hamsterball_Z--

Bake those Senn HD497's another 10 hours before you listen to them, THEN hear the difference. The 40-hour break-in mark is the most crucial with the HD497. Take it from me, I've had them longer than Delenda est Sony. You'll HEAR a big difference from the out of the box sound. They'll sound like a $150 Sennheiser-Grado hybrid. It'll be cool, trust me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back