Review of NXears new single driver Sonata, quad driver Basso, and eight driver Opera universal fit IEM
Mar 17, 2020 at 7:30 PM Post #16 of 33
@Casey NXEars, are these still on track for the first week of April shipping?? So much going on and many things delayed as of late so thought I'd ask.

Apr 14, 2020 at 6:23 AM Post #18 of 33
Good wishes to everyone on the forum during these times!

Just posted up my review of the NXEars Opera on Everyday Listening, I hope it makes for good reading. Please not that this is a pre-production sample so there will be minute differences that I will hopefully touch on later when the production units are available.

Even as is, I very much enjoyed my time with the Opera and think it's very well-priced for what it offers. The midrange ended up being my favourite aspect, powerful, dense and high-resolution yet also with a natural timbre, vocal lovers will definitely want to audition the Opera. As I'm sure others have noticed, the imaging on these is also outstanding, with holographic positioning and effortless organisation on complex tracks. Also just look at those stardust faceplates, awesome! Thanks for looking and stay well :)

Apr 14, 2020 at 6:12 PM Post #19 of 33
Good wishes to everyone on the forum during these times!

Just posted up my review of the NXEars Opera on Everyday Listening, I hope it makes for good reading. Please not that this is a pre-production sample so there will be minute differences that I will hopefully touch on later when the production units are available.

Even as is, I very much enjoyed my time with the Opera and think it's very well-priced for what it offers. The midrange ended up being my favourite aspect, powerful, dense and high-resolution yet also with a natural timbre, vocal lovers will definitely want to audition the Opera. As I'm sure others have noticed, the imaging on these is also outstanding, with holographic positioning and effortless organisation on complex tracks. Also just look at those stardust faceplates, awesome! Thanks for looking and stay well :)

Looking forward to reading the review tonight, after I meet with our accountant - I might only owe $4,000 this year for taxes... So, despite really enjoying the Opera I'll have to wait for my own :wink:

The soundstage was really a standout for me, as well as the quite fast bass response - not sluggish at all. I also liked that it was not fatiguing to listen to, and not dark but not bright either. The mids have good presence and realism as well.

Apr 30, 2020 at 8:40 PM Post #20 of 33
Have had my Sonata for a bit now...
1588276055600.png

1588276021991.png

1588276604427.png

1588276085909.png

Had pre-ordered early and got the 25% discount making it a low risk try. Always like to have a good single armature but hard to find one done right. I got the midnight green color which is a great shade and also pairs with the silver carbon fiber face plates and light gun metal on the cables plug, Y, and slider.

In the package you get 7 pairs of silicone tips, 2 sizes foam tips, a soft zip case, clip, cleaning tool, velcro cable tie, and quick start guide. Nice presentation and accessories.

The build is quite solid. Nice smooth paint job. The earpieces have a nice weight to them. MMCX socket is clean and solidly implemented. The housings have a great shape and have fairly long tapered bores so fit is excellent as is the isolation. The fit is easy and consistent and stays in for me. Also makes the housing weight pretty much disappear. Nothing but good to say about ease and comfort of fit, the high isolation, and the control of microphonics. Well behaved and easy to get along with the Sonata.

As for my first impression of the sound I'll repeat what I said before. I like to have a single armature in my stable but it is hard to find one done right and will stand the test of time and stick around. Happy to report they made a good first impression and have grown on me in the time since. Have had the good sounding Knowles drivers like in the AT CK10 the ER4 twice, UE, etc. and there is always a better sound or implementation of a proper Knowles even those claimed to be Knowles in many of the Chi-Fi earphones. A good Knowles and proper tuning and implementation makes a difference in them sounding even and transparent and more realistic. More true to life and who doesn't want that. The claimed adjusting and matching of drivers can and does make a difference. Not sure how NXears AGL(aperiodic ground loading) but they do live up to the larger and more easy on the ears sound.

Lots to like for a single armature. As others have said already they are a good all rounder. Mainly because they have a peak free big and well balanced sound. No music or situation where they don't sound good. Fairly big and open so they don't congest yet for an armature they have good note heft, roundness, and smoothness. Great balance of a rounder weightier note but not to the point it slows them down where they can't keep up with more complex music. Not real armature speed and sharpness but not the armature thinness or more 2D notes. The detail is there to a nice degree till the smoothness stops it from being sharp edged. These are not trying to sound like an Ety or a monitor but a smooth easy listen that still has ability. Extension is nicely balanced in both direction. Stage is good in all directions as they do sound a bit headphone like though more of a closed model than an open one. The stage being rounded and very even in all aspects helps give a good image and a natural sound. Combine with the single driver coherence and they just don't offend in any way to my ears. All the technical things are done well as are the enjoyable things. Have to test as I think the drivers are capable of some more extension, both high and low, with a better cable than stock. Other than that just a great all rounder in just about every aspect that you can think of and has no cons and is extremely hard not too like. Already has to be my favorite single armature.

Apr 30, 2020 at 9:00 PM Post #21 of 33
Have had my Opera for a bit as well. Hope to get some more good long listening sessions over the weekend, but here are some initial thoughts I shared with Casey:

I just played a few tracks on my FiiO M15 and I'm really liking the mids on these. Whether its Bradley Cooper's or Lady Gaga's vocals on the "A Star Is Born" soundtrack, Kanye, or Kings Of Leon, vocals are really rich and full with just the right amount of warmth. Staging, though not the widest, is tall and extends above and around my head. I don't know if you're familiar with NYC, but I'm thinking Irving Plaza or Webster Hall more than MSG; I've always preferred the smaller more intimate venues.

May 18, 2020 at 8:55 PM Post #23 of 33
Just listened to the the full Diva's Opera (Part 1&2) from the Fifth Element soundtrack on the Opera and it didn't tear a hole in the space-time continuum. Going to try some Puccini next.

May 18, 2020 at 10:08 PM Post #24 of 33
Just listened to the the full Diva's Opera (Part 1&2) from the Fifth Element soundtrack on the Opera and it didn't tear a hole in the space-time continuum. Going to try some Puccini next.

You’ll need something like a well amp’d JH Audio Roxanne or Westone ES60 custom or above to do that.

May 28, 2020 at 7:24 PM Post #25 of 33
I contacted Casey about getting the Opera, and he told me, the following:

"Finally, after long delay, virus, freight, customs, blah blah blah, I finally received the first commercial release of the NXEars in CA today. If you have any fellow friends that are interested, I am happy to offer a 15% discount code 'summer15' if interested."

Just wanted to share this info :)

May 28, 2020 at 7:33 PM Post #26 of 33
Only have a Sonata so far but will certainly recommend it with a 15% discount. $30 off one of the best single armatures that everyone should get along with due to the generally balnaced sound sig and great fit, above average isolation, and getting along with all sources.

Jul 14, 2020 at 7:43 PM Post #27 of 33
Been trying out this cable on the Sonata... https://penonaudio.com/isn-audio-gc4.html

Think it is one of the better cables to voice the Sonata. It isn't my favorite match with some earphones since it is warm down low and adds to the midbass. This works excellent with the Sonata though. Bigger, more open, and the resolution and transparency go up. Works with the Sonata by extending the bass, bringing closer to dynamic sounding with punch and some heft/weight. Too much with warm dynamics but just what the Sonata can use on their bass end. Just a bigger better Sonata and shows the earphones have some more to give. They have the ability as far as clarity, detail, separation but now piano, bass, and guitar are more satisfying even when A/B-ing straight against dynamic and hybrid earphones. A bit more complete with more decay but the $189 cable keeps the resolution, speed, and tightness of note while adding reach and more transparency through the range. Of course I think HeadphoneAddict already mentioned hearing them better with the higher up cables. :relaxed:

Last edited:
Jul 22, 2020 at 2:18 AM Post #28 of 33
Hi folks, commenting with a bit of a PSA today that will be of interest to those looking into the Opera.

After sending the pre-production Opera back to Casey, he was kind enough to send out a retail unit. Though I can't comment on his other models, the Opera, in particular, did receive some changes compared to the pre-production unit. Of note, it now employs a copper plate to mass load the woofers and the tuning has been slightly revised. I just posted my full impressions up on Everyday Listening, and you can observe the effects of these changes in my measurements below:

NXEars Opera Retail.png

Happy listening and stay well!

Jul 23, 2020 at 2:42 AM Post #29 of 33
Hi folks, commenting with a bit of a PSA today that will be of interest to those looking into the Opera.

After sending the pre-production Opera back to Casey, he was kind enough to send out a retail unit. Though I can't comment on his other models, the Opera, in particular, did receive some changes compared to the pre-production unit. Of note, it now employs a copper plate to mass load the woofers and the tuning has been slightly revised. I just posted my full impressions up on Everyday Listening, and you can observe the effects of these changes in my measurements below:

NXEars Opera Retail.png

Happy listening and stay well!
I think I had a better bass experience with the pre-pro Opera than you did.
Maybe impact wasn’t as hard as my Westone ES60 or W80 but it was there and better than with my W60.

However, I think that when I heard the treble go up in volume faster than the bass did when turning it up to insane volume levels, that maybe it was a restriction from less bass dynamics from the bass drivers or design. I wonder if the small update fixed that.

I was still very pleased with the Opera for a universal fit IEM, although I did have to fiddle with them a little bit to get the right fit for the best sound.

Apr 3, 2021 at 8:37 PM Post #30 of 33
I'll bump this thread. Now using my Sonata with a Dunu cable and balanced out of my Plenue D3...
1617495982329.jpeg

...still handsome, good fitting, and sweet sounding.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back