Review of Meier Audio Corda JAZZ with ƒƒ-technology upgrade
Dec 1, 2017 at 7:33 PM Post #361 of 441
My HE560s arrived yesterday. No hiss or hum from the Jazz-ff at any volume level, despite my paranoia! Just as Jan said.

Plenty of headroom when using CD player as source. I can Max out the volume when playing directly from my Android phone.

Dec 4, 2017 at 5:05 PM Post #362 of 441
I traded for this amp recently, despite not being in the market for a new amp. It just looked interesting and it was something I had never heard of.

I'd give feedback on it, but it will have to come later - I'm too damn busy enjoying the hell out of it. Goodness this amp has become my new favorite component, and I've bought and sold a ton of SS amps in the past few months. What a sleeper amp.

Great work @Jan Meier

Dec 12, 2017 at 11:26 AM Post #364 of 441
After checking your reviews here I could not resist to buy a used Jazz today :wink:
Wonderful amp... Highs are very airy and cristalclear, very good craftmanship .. I like it a lot (NTS okok..) Top SolidState Amp
FF - still not onboard .. curious what could be better .. I enjoy it how it is .. oustanding!

Dec 12, 2017 at 2:31 PM Post #365 of 441
After checking your reviews here I could not resist to buy a used Jazz today :wink:
Wonderful amp... Highs are very airy and cristalclear, very good craftmanship .. I like it a lot (NTS okok..) Top SolidState Amp
FF - still not onboard .. curious what could be better .. I enjoy it how it is .. oustanding!
Glad you're enjoying it! I've been putting it through it's paces against a lot of more expensive amps (in many cases much more) and it simply never disappoints. I can't get it to break a sweat, even with hard to drive headphones. It seriously is making me rethink my setup, no joke.

Dec 12, 2017 at 6:01 PM Post #366 of 441
Yes txs, it seems my phones are playing in another league now :)

Dec 14, 2017 at 12:31 AM Post #367 of 441
How you would describe the benefits of the FF version? Is it more subtile or definately to hear immediately?

Jan 14, 2018 at 1:50 PM Post #368 of 441
I've read this whole thread, and the issue of sound output from the Corda Jazz at its lowest volume setting has come up a few times--and some have said the lowest level is too loud for them. I like the idea of the stepped volume control for channel balance. However, I listen at very low volumes (under 70 dB), and I'm concerned that with some recordings (overcooked rock), the lowest volume output of the Corda Jazz might be too high for me to use comfortably. I know I can use the low-gain setting, but I have the same question in that case.

I plan to combine the Corda Jazz with my Sennheiser HD650 and AKG K612. Though both headphones are high impedance, they're also rather high sensitivity, which means that the lowest volume output from some equipment's headphone jacks (such as that on my NAD C372 integrated) is still too high for me.

Can anyone describe their experience with this? I may go with the Rock instead if I can't get low enough volumes from the Jazz. BTW--this is my first post, but I appreciate everything I've read so far. Thanks!

Jan 14, 2018 at 4:05 PM Post #369 of 441
I've read this whole thread, and the issue of sound output from the Corda Jazz at its lowest volume setting has come up a few times--and some have said the lowest level is too loud for them. I like the idea of the stepped volume control for channel balance. However, I listen at very low volumes (under 70 dB), and I'm concerned that with some recordings (overcooked rock), the lowest volume output of the Corda Jazz might be too high for me to use comfortably. I know I can use the low-gain setting, but I have the same question in that case.

I plan to combine the Corda Jazz with my Sennheiser HD650 and AKG K612. Though both headphones are high impedance, they're also rather high sensitivity, which means that the lowest volume output from some equipment's headphone jacks (such as that on my NAD C372 integrated) is still too high for me.

Can anyone describe their experience with this? I may go with the Rock instead if I can't get low enough volumes from the Jazz. BTW--this is my first post, but I appreciate everything I've read so far. Thanks!

I wouldn't worry about the sound level with those higher impedance cans...the JAZZ-ff is really not that powerful of an amp - its only around ~300mw output MAXIMUM. My Gustard H10 has over 10x the power output of it and has no issue playing at a low level without any channel imbalance with an HD6XX and my sensitive TH-X00PHs (25ohm, 94dB/mW). Remember headphone amp volume pots are not linear in adjustment, the lower half of adjustment is much less sensitive than near the upper end of the adjustment. I normally listen around a 75dB average level, just under 9:00 on the H-10, the JAZZ-ff I use to have was more like 10:30-11:00ish...

Edited: treat red underlined text as incorrect on my part and should be deleted...

Last edited:
Jan 14, 2018 at 4:22 PM Post #370 of 441
..the power of the Jazz ff is pretty much higher as you describe it here.

Last edited:
Jan 14, 2018 at 6:54 PM Post #371 of 441
I normally listen around a 75dB average level, just under 9:00 on the H-10, the JAZZ-ff I use to have was more like 10:30-11:00ish...

This is very useful to me--thanks. It gives me a sense that I'll have a usable range of volume even below my preferred listening level. Any other input along these lines is greatly appreciated, especially for folks using the HD650/600.

Most of the music I listen to has a reasonable dynamic range (jazz, well-produced and mastered indie rock/rock, classical), but I want to be sure I can turn the Jazz low enough that "loudness wars" albums won't tear my ears off. Thanks again!

Jan 14, 2018 at 7:29 PM Post #372 of 441
I've read this whole thread, and the issue of sound output from the Corda Jazz at its lowest volume setting has come up a few times--and some have said the lowest level is too loud for them. I like the idea of the stepped volume control for channel balance. However, I listen at very low volumes (under 70 dB), and I'm concerned that with some recordings (overcooked rock), the lowest volume output of the Corda Jazz might be too high for me to use comfortably.
If the Jazz's output level is too high at min volume high gain, switch to low gain, which lowers the level by about 18 dB. Minimum volume won't be a problem.

I wouldn't worry about the sound level with those higher impedance cans...the JAZZ-ff is really not that powerful of an amp - its only around ~300mw output MAXIMUM. ...
The Jazz can put out far more than 300 mW. You may have misread its specs, which max out at 300 mA and 15 V. If you have a 100 ohm headphone, 15 V pushes 150 mA making over 2 watts! The Jazz has a 10 watt power transformer, assuming 25% efficiency that makes about 2.5 watts max output to the headphones. The Jazz may not actually reach 2 W, but it far exceeds 300 mW and has plenty of power.

Anyway, the question isn't about power, but gain. High power doesn't imply high gain, nor does low power imply low gain. The Jazz has plenty of power and its gain is adjustable.

Last edited:
Jan 15, 2018 at 5:28 AM Post #373 of 441
Dear Stirrio,

please don't worry. With the HD650 and the K612 you will have no issues at all at the lowest listening level. Promised.

The minimum sound level normally only comes to play when using high sensitive, low-impedance in-ears. In these situation it is possible to lower the over-all gain of the amp but with your headphones such really isn't needed.

And as for power, the JAZZ outputs much more than 300mW if needed. But indeed it's about the gain-factor, not the absolute power!

Cheers

Jan

Jan 15, 2018 at 6:07 AM Post #374 of 441
Thanks for the correction, shows me to not trust what I could find in a search that gave a mW figure. I knew the spec is 300ma with 15V max... but suck at math apparently. The JAZZ-ff just never really felt that powerful (nothing to do with its loudness) or gave overall sound to my preference on my phones, which was why I got rid of it. It is a very precise and clear sounding amp with very nice crossfeed, just ended up being not for me.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back