Review of Hidizs AP100 portable HiFi music player
Feb 15, 2018 at 4:40 PM Post #1,186 of 1,215
Thanks!!!! this is the way to update. But I have a new problem, the download page of hizids is in "ERROR 522" and its imposible to dl the new firm. The one I´ve downladed from hizids.net is obsolete. Does anybody share with me the last firm, 1.31075?
Thanks in advance

Lemme know also what's new with 0.75. As far as I could tell there's no significant feature or change from .70>0.75. I was really hoping for ways to clear the favourite list and stuff like that.

Feb 17, 2018 at 3:10 PM Post #1,188 of 1,215
Mar 8, 2018 at 4:32 AM Post #1,189 of 1,215
Just bough used ap100 today, and sart to update to 075 fw. update. and than i use my boarseman k25 buds, what i can say at my first listening session (for about 15 minutes), this player is brighther than my x3II, and i found lot of high peak that "hurt" my ears , what i never noticed with my x3II + k25
does this player really bright like mine?
i am afraid there is something wrong with mine :D
btw, i will try with iem's, i have ath im5, e40, and tenore....

Mar 8, 2018 at 3:05 PM Post #1,190 of 1,215
Just bough used ap100 today, and sart to update to 075 fw. update. and than i use my boarseman k25 buds, what i can say at my first listening session (for about 15 minutes), this player is brighther than my x3II, and i found lot of high peak that "hurt" my ears , what i never noticed with my x3II + k25
does this player really bright like mine?
i am afraid there is something wrong with mine :D
btw, i will try with iem's, i have ath im5, e40, and tenore....

The point of this player (imo) is the SRC and EQ button. If you're not exploring those features at all then you're missing the actual point of this DAP. Yes it can sound quite nice in stock mode, but changing the SRC mode dramatically changes sound (I tend to sit on 24bit 96KHz regardless of file playing). EQ mode is there to either allow you to quickly (whilst the song is playing) get a one push button to change the EQ/sound, handy for those 'shuffling all' with eclectic listening choices. You can even tinker with their presets Bass, Jazz and the like, fine tune them or completely replace them. I tend to have a process whereby I toggle through the EQ button and it cycles through 4 different custom settings I have made, once it gets to the last 4th one the next is a repeat of the 1st.
EQ is handy for lots of things, different headphones often need a different EQ tweak. If things are sounding 'too bright' then you can control that brightness, that's the beauty of this machine! It takes time, but if you're serious about listening to music properly you must be open to tinkering with EQ.

Mar 21, 2018 at 12:03 AM Post #1,191 of 1,215
Hi everyone,

I got one AP100 a long time ago and its been running great, only now i'm upgrading my headphones. I can get an AK Jr on sale here at my place, for $200. Would it be a significant upgrade to my current AP100?
I also use a JDLabs Objective 2 Amp together with the AP100.

Many thanks!

Mar 21, 2018 at 1:49 AM Post #1,192 of 1,215
Here is my understanding of the various stages of an audio setup that affect sound quality from least to the most;

Source>Source File>EQ>Speakers/Headphones>Amplifier.

Let's break that down.

1) Source. This is what you play the music ON. This could be a DAP, Foobar2000, winamp, CD player etc. What you use to get the music running typically has the LEAST affect on the overall experience.
2) Source File. This is what format of music you are playing, vinyl vs FLAC vs WAV vs 128kbps vs 64kbps MP3 file. Typically people can tell extremes apart but there is a very grey area surrounding the middle areas (who here can pass ABX testing successfully with a 260kbps MP3 file vs 16 bit FLAC? etc).
3) Amplifier. A bit controversial to have this here, but it is well proven and documented that people perceive an improvement in sound quality purely based on increased volume levels compared to actually any other variables being changed. Just because it is louder it tricks people into thinking its a better sounding. It is true that an amplifier can assist in driving certain headphones and speakers to a better potential, but ultimately they can also do relatively little to actually change how the sound is presented.
4) Speakers/Headphones. Investing in high end sources and amplifiers but connecting the very cheapest and nastiest speakers (which are the very final interface between the music and your ears) is significant. Would you spend thousands of dollars on a home separate hi fi system and then just connect some $20 'supermarket speakers' up to it? I think we already know that you're not getting the full experience of all the other stuff if the final audio equipment is insignificant.
5) EQ/DSP. Tinkering with the FRR greatly affects the sound, you can increase the lows (bass and sub bass) increase mids and tweak the highs (treble), this is something that has a massive and obvious difference in what you hear. It can make all the difference in salvaging records that were initially perhaps poorly produced, pulling back harsh trebles, boosting bass can redeem many a track or album.

Now others might disagree with me but this is the order I have always felt the music setup flow, from the least impacting things to the most.

IMO waaaaaaaaaayyyy too much time is spent messing around with trying different file types, sources and amps (points 1, 2 and 3) which generally have the LEAST impact in giving the listener a different sound quality experience. There is not enough talk of points 4 and 5 (especially 5) when it comes to talking about SQ.

Indeed Cowon is a favourite among many as it has (widely accepted) the greatest EQ/DSP control on any Source thus allowing the user to customise a sound quality that they deem pleasurable for their ears (personal preference) and their equipment (headphones). The AP100 has a fantastic EQ also, not as many things to 'tinker with' as Cowon perhaps but the SRC button IN CONJUNCTION with the HARDWARE EQ gives way to a plethora of options that should hopefully suit the listener. Factor in that there are a total of 8 customisable EQ settings (plenty for different genres and even different headphone pairing) you should have a rich diversity of listening options out there. Factor in once more that from a single push of a button DURING MUSIC PLAYBACK can toggle that EQ/FRR to something else (in realtime with no pause/gap) is truly a gift to the portable music listener. I would be wary of swapping the AP100 out (coming from a guy who has about 10 DAPs in his drawer and been DAPing since the beginning of DAPs!)

Jul 27, 2019 at 8:56 AM Post #1,193 of 1,215
is this player still on a sonically current state? how much gb may a microsd card have for the player to accept it?
does the player recognize mp3 information (tags)? are there already better-sounding DAP's in the 200 € range?
Currently I use the LG V10 and would like to use a DAP on the go.
I feel like when the Saber HiFi DAC is turned on in the V10, the sound gets a bit brighter, more sizzling - which I do not like. Or am I with the AP100 at the wrong address?

and how many files can the AP100 actually read? Is 5000 or 6000 music files over?

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2019 at 9:47 AM Post #1,194 of 1,215
is this player still on a sonically current state? how much gb may a microsd card have for the player to accept it?
does the player recognize mp3 information (tags)? are there already better-sounding DAP's in the 200 € range?
I feel like when the Saber HiFi DAC is turned on in the V10, the sound gets a bit brighter, more sizzling - which I do not like. Or am I with the AP100 at the wrong address?

and how many files can the AP100 actually read? Is 5000 or 6000 music files over?
AP100 in my opinion is quite bright, if you want a warmer sound signature, you should look elsewhere.

Jul 27, 2019 at 6:21 PM Post #1,196 of 1,215

thanks for the information! is the Fiio X5 III an option for me?

I can't really mention anything new other than what I have written above.

I don't favour one DAP over another, sound quality on any modern DAP is good, some warmer, some colder, but in the end much of whether you like a DAP will have to do with headphone pairing, listening volumes and genres of music.
The AP100 is no different than a bunch of other DAPs except for one thing... the dedicated EQ button that will toggle you through 8 different custom preset EQ, in realtime during the the Now Playing screen with no lag or interruption. I find this a seriously awesome feature, as someone who has an eclectic playlist, shuffle all, with songs spanning decades apart (varying recording differences), to be able to go from a modern track to a 60's song and 'fix' the FRR without any more hassle than toggling a button on/off, this is fantastic.

Think of it like a Bass Boosting button on a portable amp, but now the button does so much more, it can reduce treble as well, change mids, anything you want!

If this feature really is of no use to you then I dare say better value maybe found elsewhere. I hate Hidizs for not carrying this feature on for their other newer release DAPs. Obviously I'm a rare breed...

Nov 29, 2019 at 4:04 PM Post #1,198 of 1,215
Trying to decide on a new player at the moment. Options are AP100, xduoo x3ii or Tempotec V1-A.

I would like to ask a question to anyone who might know - has the 5800 track limit for the id3 database been fixed in a later firmware for the AP100?

If this is fixed I'm pretty sure I'll buy this thing.. even though it's a bit old now it looks like the perfect player for me. I'm tempted by the Tempotec but I don't really like touchscreens. And I'm trying to find out if the x3ii has the pitch problem at 44.1khz like the x3.

Thanks

Nov 29, 2019 at 4:10 PM Post #1,199 of 1,215
Trying to decide on a new player at the moment. Options are AP100, xduoo x3ii or Tempotec V1-A.

I would like to ask a question to anyone who might know - has the 5800 track limit for the id3 database been fixed in a later firmware for the AP100?

If this is fixed I'm pretty sure I'll buy this thing.. even though it's a bit old now it looks like the perfect player for me. I'm tempted by the Tempotec but I don't really like touchscreens. And I'm trying to find out if the x3ii has the pitch problem at 44.1khz like the x3.

Thanks

To my knowledge the issue is still there for the 5800 track limit. I never really had an issue with it however because you could still folder browse all the collection instead of using Id3tags. If you want to be super organised you can create genre folders>artist>album>tracks and pretty much get around tags completely. I use a folder structure of Artist>Album>Tracks and can indeed find and play any song in my collection (64gb maxed) and have over 10,000 tracks/files. It's just the Id3tag data base that struggles I believe. It is a great DAP, one of my all time favs.

The X3ii also piqued my interest, so if you do grab it I'd love some feedback on it. Keep me posted.

Nov 29, 2019 at 4:24 PM Post #1,200 of 1,215
To my knowledge the issue is still there for the 5800 track limit. I never really had an issue with it however because you could still folder browse all the collection instead of using Id3tags. If you want to be super organised you can create genre folders>artist>album>tracks and pretty much get around tags completely. I use a folder structure of Artist>Album>Tracks and can indeed find and play any song in my collection (64gb maxed) and have over 10,000 tracks/files. It's just the Id3tag data base that struggles I believe. It is a great DAP, one of my all time favs.

The X3ii also piqued my interest, so if you do grab it I'd love some feedback on it. Keep me posted.

Thanks for the reply. Man that's a buzzkill as it is a deal breaker. I can appreciate that you can browse folders, but that's just not something I really want to do. I'm at a point where I just want an easy life, not workarounds :D Actually that's why I was initially attracted to this player, as it seems very simple and focused. Sad that they cannot fix this as it seems perfect otherwise.

I will definitely keep you updated if I get the x3ii. I just need to know if that pitch issue is there at 44.1, as that would also be a deal breaker :D

Looks like it will be the V1-A, although there isn't a massive thread on this so not much info. There might well be some deal breaking flaws there too. Sigh :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back