Review of Hidizs AP100 portable HiFi music player
Jan 16, 2017 at 1:06 PM Post #1,156 of 1,215
  I have never timed it as there is always a phone call or an email or text to deal with but I would guess about 3.5 hours max as my Yamaha MT220 seem to suck the juice more than most perhaps because of their low end response - mine are approaching 2 years old but still enjoying it most of the time - but like you I usually have my eye on new gear but can't justify buying anything else until it packs it in. 

Well I said no new DAPs until this one dies because I can't justify buying a new one either but we'll see if I can hold out :) Too bad the life of the batteries in these didn't have a longer life...not just per charge but you would think that after 2 years the battery would last as long as it did when it was new...I don't know if that is a reasonable expectation or not.

Feb 22, 2017 at 12:25 PM Post #1,157 of 1,215
Good news from Hidizs. I asked if the AP100 was going to be discontinued once the AP200 is launched but I was told that they will continue to manufacture the AP100 only adding the AP200 to their DAP lineup. No word on exactly when the AP200 will launch except "soon".

Feb 22, 2017 at 12:31 PM Post #1,158 of 1,215
Good news from Hidizs. I asked if the AP100 was going to be discontinued once the AP200 is launched but I was told that they will continue to manufacture the AP100 only adding the AP200 to their DAP lineup. No word on exactly when the AP200 will launch except "soon".

I would gladly review the AP200. I was curious about it for quite a while.

Mar 4, 2017 at 8:56 AM Post #1,162 of 1,215
Hi, greetings everyone. I'm new to this forum although i have been watching it Quite a while for some reviews here.

So i recently bought used ap100 after read many positive reviews here. I added some music to it and everything seems fine. the problems is, it showing 'files not supported' message in some albums/ music with the .mp3 and .flac format when the others just plays well. Was this ever happen to anyone in this forum? How i can fix this issue? It's running on fw 070.

Thanks head-fi :)

Mar 5, 2017 at 4:04 AM Post #1,164 of 1,215
I think i just found the problem. The files was damaged from recovery, my bad :). Everything just works normal. Has anyone compare the ap100 with xduoo x family? Especially x3 and x10? I'm curious how they compared, as x3 actually my main target. I think I'm going to compare the ap100 to other dap's on my local store, as this is my first dap. Just had to know that this dap was as great as stated on this thread :)

Mar 5, 2017 at 5:19 AM Post #1,165 of 1,215
I think i just found the problem. The files was damaged from recovery, my bad :). Everything just works normal. Has anyone compare the ap100 with xduoo x family? Especially x3 and x10? I'm curious how they compared, as x3 actually my main target. I think I'm going to compare the ap100 to other dap's on my local store, as this is my first dap. Just had to know that this dap was as great as stated on this thread :)

I don't think xduoo x3 is better than AP100. Before I bought AP100, I have tried fiio X1, X3ii, X5ii plus 2 other iBasso DAPs: dx50 and dx90. My conclusion is AP100 is almost at the level of X5ii (just different types of sound, AP100 is brighter than). The only DAP I found better than AP100 at that time was dx90 which was over my budget.

Mar 12, 2017 at 4:20 AM Post #1,166 of 1,215
Ap 100 in my opinion the best solution for the ratio of price / quality. If consider his technical characteristics, he defeats opponents 2-3 times more expensive. It is only necessary to pick up the right headphones because hi has a dark sound. I got an excellent bunch with etymotic er-4p. It is worth pick up the right headphones and you will be very satisfied!

Mar 12, 2017 at 3:34 PM Post #1,167 of 1,215
  Ap 100 in my opinion the best solution for the ratio of price / quality. If consider his technical characteristics, he defeats opponents 2-3 times more expensive. It is only necessary to pick up the right headphones because hi has a dark sound. I got an excellent bunch with etymotic er-4p. It is worth pick up the right headphones and you will be very satisfied!

Yeh i bought mine for $330AUD, which was pretty much peak price, and I'm still happy with it's value. Soon after I paid that for it on Amazon it dropped down to around $170USD, far better deal, really I think it's a no brainer at that price (have no idea what it's selling for nowadays)...
If mine breaks I would seriously contemplate buying another rather than trying something new, which is a rarity for me as I have 10 DAPs and would love to add another to the collection lol.

Things it has going for it;

1) Power. At 150g I find it doesn't need an amp, unlike most other DAPs I own. I am a high volume junkie and this thing can play stuff LOUD (with my IEMs of choice).
2) Tactile feedback. Blind control operation is easy due to buttons and not touch screens or touch capacitive controls (urgh).
3) Dedicated EQ and SRC buttons. By far it's greatest strength imo, thus allowing the user to toggle sound signature significantly at a touch of a button, without needing to delve into menus and options! Why oh why has it taken so long to see this on a DAP!
4) EIGHT custom EQ slots to tinker with. Perhaps a bug, there are only 3 User slots, but you can in fact tweak the stock 'Rock, Pop, Classic etc' EQ Presets, which is a another great thing because often we can find with these DAPs that some of these presets are quite good, but the user would like tweak a few of the bands slightly, and now you can!
5) M3U Support
6) Adding  Favourites.
7) Lyric Support (.lrc files only).
8) A Good shuffle algorithm (some DAPs do this poorly, this doesn't thank god).
9) OTG Playlist Support
10) USB DAC Feature
11) Line Out (with EQ support!)
12) Came included with a very nice and durable leather case (and silicon ones are available for purchase)
13) Build quality is excellent, the thing is a tank! more than a year on and I have yet to scratch or dent this thing in anyway, it looks brand new!
14) Battery life is still performing very well for over a years worth of use.

What it doesn't have going for it;

1) Weight, 150g is still pretty hefty, but then power seems to come at a price.
2) 10hr battery life.
3) Removing added Favourites seems not possible, a bug never addressed.
4) Adding songs to the OTG playlists is only file at a time, no way to add entire albums or artists (or genres) at a time... a real missed opportunity :frowning2:
5) ID3 Tag Database File Limit. (I forget the file limit from which the player can read from tags, however it IS possible to access ALL your files from the Folder Structure menu (and shuffle all music works fine as well).
6) No Text Lyric support (UNSYNCED).

No DAP is perfect, but this one has been the closest I have had to being exactly that. I kinda wished they had released a later firmware than 075 (which is what I run) to address a few of the things in that second list, but it's still not ruined my user experience too much. Certain things like a dedicated EQ button has become an extremely high priority for me now that when considering other DAPs if it doesn't have this feature I move on to looking at something else!
(having said that however, I recently discovered that with Foobar I can convert files to having a certain EQ FR, therefore permanently altering the file, which (for my purposes) might really help navigate lack of EQ in players in the future.

Mar 13, 2017 at 4:15 PM Post #1,168 of 1,215
I think i just found the problem. The files was damaged from recovery, my bad
smily_headphones1.gif
. Everything just works normal. Has anyone compare the ap100 with xduoo x family? Especially x3 and x10? I'm curious how they compared, as x3 actually my main target. I think I'm going to compare the ap100 to other dap's on my local store, as this is my first dap. Just had to know that this dap was as great as stated on this thread
smily_headphones1.gif

The only argument in the direction of xduoo x3 is its size. In all other aspects ap100 exceeds it more than several times. Just want to pity you from the fact that x3 even on the latest firmware is often buggy. It is often necessary to use the reset button otherwise the player will not turn on. Ted Presley is right about the level of ap100 is approximately equal to x5 ii.

Mar 13, 2017 at 4:46 PM Post #1,169 of 1,215
  The only argument in the direction of xduoo x3 is its size. In all other aspects ap100 exceeds it more than several times. Just want to pity you from the fact that x3 even on the latest firmware is often buggy. It is often necessary to use the reset button otherwise the player will not turn on. Ted Presley is right about the level of ap100 is approximately equal to x5 ii.

I also feel the same way. AP100 is a better package than X3. Even with rockbox firmware on X3 , I prefer AP100.  Brucebanner's post above lists a lot of good points.

Mar 13, 2017 at 10:14 PM Post #1,170 of 1,215

Yeah, I have used it for a week now, and I found the AP100 was a great DAP, especially with Allesandro MS1i that i've been sold. I'm using carbo tenore now, it's good but nothing compared to the Allesandro's. I haven't compared it to other DAP's yet but at least it's a big margin compared to my Iphone 5s. If the AP100 equal to x5ii do you think it outmatched the x3ii? the design of fiio's really tempting for me especially the x3ii form factor, and i found a really good price for the secondary unit. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back