Review of Hidizs AP100 portable HiFi music player
May 14, 2015 at 4:22 AM Post #512 of 1,215
So the new model is ready right? Would you mind sharing a picture of the new Hidizs?

cool.gif

May 14, 2015 at 10:36 AM Post #514 of 1,215
Are we talking about an Ap100 II, new hardware, or the same player with some hardware modifications? I'm confused.

Asking because I'm ready to buy one (will sell my X3) and of course, would like to buy the latest, the better one.

May 14, 2015 at 11:36 AM Post #515 of 1,215

So the new model is ready right? Would you mind sharing a picture of the new Hidizs?

cool.gif

An analog volume knob and a scrolling wheel (Cayin N6 style?), and a bigger screen and modern design with sharp A&K style edges - I LIKE what I'm seeing
wink.gif

May 14, 2015 at 1:18 PM Post #516 of 1,215

An analog volume knob and a scrolling wheel (Cayin N6 style?), and a bigger screen and modern design with sharp A&K style edges - I LIKE what I'm seeing
wink.gif

Perhaps bigger screen, yes. Dimensions of the device look the same (if these are the numbers) but screen might be oriented in portrait (so, not larger but higher due to lack of button on the face). 

May 14, 2015 at 2:52 PM Post #517 of 1,215
May 15, 2015 at 9:09 AM Post #519 of 1,215
Looks like it might be called the AP300 and have twin DAC chips (same chip as the AP100 which only has one).

I hope Hidizs is at the High End show more for the High End sound and not for High End prices as in the AK series.

I imagine it will follow the trend with native DSD playback.

I hope that Hidizs concentrates on sound quality, decent ergonomics and UI and good value and not at the expense of styling and go faster stripes.

May 15, 2015 at 10:11 AM Post #520 of 1,215
  Looks like it might be called the AP300 and have twin DAC chips (same chip as the AP100 which only has one).

I hope Hidizs is at the High End show more for the High End sound and not for High End prices as in the AK series.

I imagine it will follow the trend with native DSD playback.

I hope that Hidizs concentrates on sound quality, decent ergonomics and UI and good value and not at the expense of styling and go faster stripes.

Are you guessing about AP300 name and dual DAC architecture or do you have some inside info?

May 15, 2015 at 10:39 AM Post #521 of 1,215
Hi Twister, I wish I did but it seems that you are well placed to have all the inside info from all the new stuff you are reviewing.

I just saw the AP300 hint from their face book page as they gave us the link and I got the dual DAC aspect from the thread that Hidizs had started.

You probably have the AP300 burning in for your usual 48 hours as we speak, before you do your next review - sorry I forgot that there is no such thing as burn in, only brain burn, AKA wallet burn. lol

May 15, 2015 at 11:21 AM Post #522 of 1,215
  Hi Twister, I wish I did but it seems that you are well placed to have all the inside info from all the new stuff you are reviewing.

I just saw the AP300 hint from their face book page as they gave us the link and I got the dual DAC aspect from the thread that Hidizs had started.

You probably have the AP300 burning in for your usual 48 hours as we speak, before you do your next review - sorry I forgot that there is no such thing as burn in, only brain burn, AKA wallet burn. lol

Trust me, I'm still in the dark with this new Hidizs release
frown.gif
Have no idea what/when/how, so I'm in the same boat as everybody else, being very curious about what Hidizs guy have cooking for us.  Original AP100 had a great sound, but with so many other competitive releases its interface and controls became quickly dated.  Just my personal opinion, but when it comes to DAP (and as you guys seen I've tested a lot of them) I find it important to have a synergy of both a sound and sw/hw interface.  I still have my review loaner of AK120ii, and even so it's not the best sounding DAP I have tested (and way overpriced at $1.7k), the footprint, the hardware controls, the software/touch interface all makes it quite an amazing experience when using it.  On the other hand, I consider N6 to be the best DAP I heard so far (again, just my personal opinion, and I haven't heard HM901 or Lotoo Paw Gold), but it's too big and controls can get a bit awkward.  AP100 has a great sound, especially when you keep SRC in max oversampling, but GUI and button interface is lagging behind AK, FiiO, Cayin, etc.  Again, just my personal "spoiled" opinion as a reviewer.  I know a lot of people with whom I had a discussion and who told me that AP100 interface is exactly why they chose it over FiiO scrolling wheel.

When I saw this new teaser with a volume pot, scrolling control wheel, and new body style - it looks to me that Hidizs is taking this competition seriously, trying to excel in both sound (dual DAC is a HUGE step forward in improving stereo separation and dynamics) and interface with more robust controls.  Just hoping we can get more info about this release soon, and perhaps I can get a chance to test/review it.

May 15, 2015 at 12:12 PM Post #523 of 1,215

Trust me, I'm still in the dark with this new Hidizs release
frown.gif
Have no idea what/when/how, so I'm in the same boat as everybody else, being very curious about what Hidizs guy have cooking for us.  Original AP100 had a great sound, but with so many other competitive releases its interface and controls became quickly dated.  Just my personal opinion, but when it comes to DAP (and as you guys seen I've tested a lot of them) I find it important to have a synergy of both a sound and sw/hw interface.  I still have my review loaner of AK120ii, and even so it's not the best sounding DAP I have tested (and way overpriced at $1.7k), the footprint, the hardware controls, the software/touch interface all makes it quite an amazing experience when using it.  On the other hand, I consider N6 to be the best DAP I heard so far (again, just my personal opinion, and I haven't heard HM901 or Lotoo Paw Gold), but it's too big and controls can get a bit awkward.  AP100 has a great sound, especially when you keep SRC in max oversampling, but GUI and button interface is lagging behind AK, FiiO, Cayin, etc.  Again, just my personal "spoiled" opinion as a reviewer.  I know a lot of people with whom I had a discussion and who told me that AP100 interface is exactly why they chose it over FiiO scrolling wheel.

When I saw this new teaser with a volume pot, scrolling control wheel, and new body style - it looks to me that Hidizs is taking this competition seriously, trying to excel in both sound (dual DAC is a HUGE step forward in improving stereo separation and dynamics) and interface with more robust controls.  Just hoping we can get more info about this release soon, and perhaps I can get a chance to test/review it.

Hi Twister, it is always good to get your views especially as you have tried so many DAP's etc.

I have never had a problem with the UI on the AP100 and it seems very simple and logical to me especially after having had the original Fiio X3.

The X1 and X3ii screen is smaller and to me has noticably lower screen resolution than the AP100. I think the biggest issue with Hidizs is that the brand is not well known like Fiio for example and the photos of the AP100 dont look great, but it is much better looking and well built when you have it in the Hand (the latest batch that is).

The problem to me with the Cayin N6 is the bulk of it and the look of the round bezel shaped glass screen. I think Hidizs have shown that it is not necessary to have such a bulky DAP to sound really good. From what I hear the AP100 is a powerful as the Cayin N6, so all that extra bulk cannot be explained away with the extra DAC chip that the Cayin has inside. (the Cayin is about twice the price)

Overall I think that Hidizs have done a great job on their first DAP and it is great to have so much choice in the DAP market and hence good competition that keep standards high and prices reasonable.

I was very tempted to get the AK100ii but I hear that some owners are having problems with file transfer speeds and others who dont like aspects of the UI, I suppose you cannot please everyone.

May 15, 2015 at 12:50 PM Post #524 of 1,215
The problem to me with the Cayin N6 is the bulk of it and the look of the round bezel shaped glass screen. I think Hidizs have shown that it is not necessary to have such a bulky DAP to sound really good. From what I hear the AP100 is a powerful as the Cayin N6, so all that extra bulk cannot be explained away with the extra DAC chip that the Cayin has inside. (the Cayin is about twice the price)

The size of DAP is often dictated not just by a display and battery footprint, but also power filter components such as capacitors and inductors.  That is why all those desktop amplifiers are so big - power supply filtering and analog amplifier section design.  Ideally, you would want to separate digital and analog parts of any DAP into two separate circuit boards to keep noise from coupling over, and also have more room for larger capacitors, but then you are going to end up with a thick brick like HM901 :wink:  So, it's always a tradeoff between the size and quality of power filtering components.

May 15, 2015 at 1:19 PM Post #525 of 1,215

The size of DAP is often dictated not just by a display and battery footprint, but also power filter components such as capacitors and inductors.  That is why all those desktop amplifiers are so big - power supply filtering and analog amplifier section design.  Ideally, you would want to separate digital and analog parts of any DAP into two separate circuit boards to keep noise from coupling over, and also have more room for larger capacitors, but then you are going to end up with a thick brick like HM901 :wink:  So, it's always a tradeoff between the size and quality of power filtering components.

Twister, talking about desktop options, I got a Geek-Out 450 (DAC-Amp) a few days ago, only got about 40 hours on the clock, I find it has very good mid-range (voices etc.) good bass etc. but I was expecting a bit more top end and 3D soundstage. Does it improve with burn in and is it still one of the best value options you have heard so far?

Also which of the ATH headphones that you have reviewed lately do you think would pair best with both the AP100 and Geek Out?

Thanks LM

Users who are viewing this thread

Back