Review of Hidizs AP100 portable HiFi music player
May 1, 2015 at 9:59 AM Post #496 of 1,215
I had tried my friend's x3 first gen and love it too

Yeah its amazing what FiiO did with it, and with firmware 3.3 that I'm running its stable as a rock.

Also correct me if I'm wrong but the AP100 doesnt have gapless playback?? (and thats a feature that I MUST have!)

May 1, 2015 at 10:59 AM Post #497 of 1,215

Yeah its amazing what FiiO did with it, and with firmware 3.3 that I'm running its stable as a rock.

Also correct me if I'm wrong but the AP100 doesnt have gapless playback?? (and thats a feature that I MUST have!)

No, AP100 has gapless playpack. 

May 1, 2015 at 12:27 PM Post #498 of 1,215
Yup with the latest FWs. It can also play DSD now... Not that it is important, ofc. :smile:

May 1, 2015 at 7:44 PM Post #499 of 1,215

Thanks!

Yeah I will probably hang on, because my X3 is still going strong. Also since FiiO has abruptly discountinued it now too, it feels quite special to own.

Yes there is something special about the first X3 (mark1) but I had to have the "hardware" treble up very close to max to get decent top end, but when you hear the AP100 you realise the game has moved on re: soundstage, hopefully similar with the new X3ii.

How is your battery life now? mine was only about 2.5 - 4 hours max, thats going down hill with the wind behind me after only 2 months. (but the new X1 seems to go on forever)

BTW, You have me reminiscing about the old days now, LOL, enjoy.

May 3, 2015 at 1:27 AM Post #501 of 1,215
May 3, 2015 at 4:20 AM Post #502 of 1,215
IMHO, Hidisz AP100 is way better of FiiO X3 - 2° Gen:
- superior sound quality
- better button layout
- dedicated Source button
- equalizer
- ampli

I really don't understand why FiiO keep mapping preview/next track button on bottom row of buttons while would be better mapping them on top buttons.

I think that FiiO X3 - 2° Gen is a great DAP, but sound quality is lower.
Besides, owning also the first FiiO X3, i think that it has a more "anemic" ampli then the preview model.

Sony A17 has lower sound quality then those two players, but it is a nice little player with excellent sound quality, excellent bluettoth connectivity, great internal memory, some interesting function as SenseMe and a great battery life.

As cons, not so good ampli section, especially in the EU volume capped version (i have also an EU A15), and no support for CUE.

May 3, 2015 at 12:30 PM Post #504 of 1,215
  @miriddin nice review.. and how if A15/17 paired with an amp like Sony PHA series, have you try it? Is there any sound quality improvement? Then do you still choose AP100 without an amp than A15/17 with amp?

I haven't any Sony amp, but i tested my Sony A17 with several amps, as Cayin C5, iBasso D12 and D-Zero, FiiO E11K and SoundBlaster E5,

Those DAP, as well preview X1060 model have a warm signature and i prefere to use with them amps with a more neutral signature, has iBasso amps.
With amps i get a better soundstage and better and fuller sound but Hidisz keep a more detailed sound and a better instrument positioning on stage.

Besides you can also use the Source button to change on the fly the sound to get the better sound for you personal taste.

Besides, i think that with Sony DAP we need to valuate other aspects:
- small form factor with full of space for songs (with a 128 microsd you have a total 192 GB of memory on a Sony A17)
- lower output volume but a better battery life
- really excellent bluetooth connection with full APTX support (now even better, as with the last firmware you get also LDAC)
- the best graphic UI that you can find in any player

Actually i use the Sony A17 mainly with my MEElectronics AF62-CF Air-Fi Matrix2 and i'm really enjoyimg this combo on the move!
I think that it is a good upgrade on my preview bluetooth setup with the Cowon J3!

May 9, 2015 at 5:22 PM Post #506 of 1,215
smily_headphones1.gif
The Deal Breaker for me will be whether or not I can use the SD Cards from my X1 and X5 in Fat 32 in the AP100. I have too much stuff to re-do a New card. I would just get the X3ii as I know the cards will work in that Player.

smily_headphones1.gif
smily_headphones1.gif
TWIN

May 10, 2015 at 7:26 AM Post #507 of 1,215

smily_headphones1.gif
The Deal Breaker for me will be whether or not I can use the SD Cards from my X1 and X5 in Fat 32 in the AP100. I have too much stuff to re-do a New card. I would just get the X3ii as I know the cards will work in that Player.

smily_headphones1.gif
smily_headphones1.gif
TWIN

I had no problems using my 3 cards formatted with Fiio DAPs and they work fine.

However I have an on-going occasional problem with my AP100 where it does not recognise the card, I am not sure if it is hardware or software related.

I am sticking with fw69 as for me it has the best sound. I have tried fw 70 and 70 beta 2.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back