Review of Hidizs AP100 portable HiFi music player
Apr 2, 2015 at 10:13 AM Post #422 of 1,215
Very interesting reviews,  if i were to compare it to Fiio X5  , what would you guys recommend among the two?  my primary interest is classical rock, modern techno etc. Using Dunu2000 for ear phones.

Apr 2, 2015 at 10:52 AM Post #423 of 1,215
Sony xperia zl with OTG connect USB cable to ap100 as DAC.... Sounds very good. Just can't listen to it very long time because an album 10 songs consumed about 20% of my phone battery. How I wish hidizs can make a switch maybe hold button to control the dap to charge or not to charge function. Just a wish haha. ..

Apr 2, 2015 at 11:03 AM Post #424 of 1,215
After the burn in the ap100 has improved tonality but as a side note the noise level remains the same as my previous entry and basically the same as the original version of ap100.

The headphone out is much more musical n resolving than before with more colour and life to the music, creating a fun atmosphere.

The line out on the other hand is like a low gain setting, the sound is very analytical clear.

Overall the new ap100 is more resolving n musical (more life like) for both outputs. I am hoping to pair this with fiio e12a to see how the overall system will improve.

My 3 gripes for the current firmware "v1.31070Beta1" implementation apart from the backlight setting previously mentioned are the sleep timer not working properly and the occurrence (once) of the "blue screen " where the ap100 glitches and the volume goes to the max. That occurrence almost damaged my hearing n my iem. The error code is attached. The 3rd problem is that the user defined eq displays as neutral even after adjustment until each individual ban is highlighted, only then the existing setting will be displayed.

I hope that Hidizs will release a new firmware to fix the current bugs and maybe add multiple playlist/favorite group options.

The error blue screen is attached.

Apr 3, 2015 at 9:49 AM Post #430 of 1,215
Hi Fxim,

Good to hear your comparison view on the first batch and the latest batch with some hardware changes.

I thought that I would mention to fellow Heads that I also have had software issues with the newest model with stock FW 67 with crashes and not turning off (even with reset) and suddenly not recognizing my SD branded cards when they had been working fine and also again the same problem of not recognizing my SD branded cards on FW 69. These issues have not happened too often and the sound makes up for it.

Hidizs have managed to make a remarkable player for their first attempt but they should not come complacent with hot competition from the New Fiio X3ii which uses the same DAC chip and which is smaller and cheaper.

Fxim - looking forward to your view on the amping of the AP100 with the Fiio E12A. I tried it with the Cayin C5 amp and it was only a side ways upgrade as it cleans up the mid range slightly a bit but at the same time you loose some airiness which was a bit of a surprise to me (and certainly not worth the hassle of stacking).

p.s. I dont think the new Fiio X3ii can match the airiness and sound stage of the AP100 from all the reviews I have read

Apr 6, 2015 at 10:25 PM Post #431 of 1,215
No, ap100 is still better than x3k. I tried, bass on ap100 is more deep and refined, soundstage is wider. But highs on x3k are non fatiguing.

Apr 6, 2015 at 10:36 PM Post #432 of 1,215
Just got the Fiio e12a to pair with ap100.

Still burning in amp so far so good. Initial impressions are that The e12a fixes the problems of the ap100, namely base noise and compressed sound depth.

The sounds are much more holographic and the noise problem of ap100 is history:).

By the way, I think that the ap100 ver. 2 is lighter as previously mention is because it the new shell may be made from aluminium instead of magnesium as I noticed that the new shell scratches easily, feels lighter, and provides better better emi sheilding than my previous version of the ap100.

Apr 9, 2015 at 4:41 AM Post #435 of 1,215
  Very interesting reviews,  if i were to compare it to Fiio X5  , what would you guys recommend among the two?  my primary interest is classical rock, modern techno etc. Using Dunu2000 for ear phones.

I just notice your question, I dont know your phones but I would describe the X5 as analytical and to me it has an in your face sound and that you either love or hate - so much so that I found myself getting irritated. I found I had to have the volume up high to get a satisfing full bodied sound, which is not good for ones hearing. (using Yamaha HPH 200 cans)

I would decribe the AP100 as musical and well balanced with good dynamics and has a non tiring sound with great sounstage, it does very well with all types of music. I have mine about 2 months with some serious burn in time and it keeps on improving. My opinion is that the AP100 is way better and I was relieved to pass on my X5. But I accept that the X5 will have a synergy with certain IEM's but I dont have any decent ones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back