Review of Audio Technica ATH-CKR9 & ATH-CKR10
Sep 25, 2015 at 2:38 PM Post #1,021 of 1,193
I've been reading through this thread and other and the CKR9/10 both have my keen interest (among a couple others).  They're both within the budget since the 10 has come down under $200.  I favor a neutral-ish profile but like a bit of warmth or color and listen to a few genres but would like vocals to sound as good as possible for the budget.  Radiohead, David Gray, some classic rock like Pink Floyd and artists like Florence + The Machine, Sia, Tori Amos is largely what I listen to.

It seems the detail on these is quite good, especially for DD IEMs and I was originally considering the DN1K largely for clarity and detail but the stiffening of the cable turns me off as I've had to warranty things before and it can be a PITA.  The sources are a Lumia Icon smartphone, original X3 usually with an E12 but sometimes without.  One reviewer (Earfonia?) remarked that the X3 headphone out was a bit much on the bass end paired with the ckr10.  I'm a sensitive to upper mid and treble spikiness so am not sure the ckr9 is the ticket.  Sibilance and shouty vocals I just cannot take. I'm not a basshead though I enjoy it, the RE600 bass was fine to my ears but the H200, which had way more than my EQ5 or RE600 was too.

I briefly had the re600 but they broke too quickly for me to give them a real shot but I found them a bit congested in the mids for my liking right out of the box.  Comparing them to the H200 gave me the impression the hybrids showed a lot more detail and clarity.

How do the CKR9/10 do on detail and clarity relative to a hybrid design like the dn-1000 or H200?  

How about run through the X3/E12?  (I don't mind the bulkiness of the setup, I'm use to it)

AT offers a 2 year warranty and service within the ConUS so that is a huge plus for me.

The reviews of how the vocals sound on these two IEMs has me pretty excited.  

Thanks for any input provided!

Sep 28, 2015 at 9:32 PM Post #1,024 of 1,193
http://www.head-fi.org/t/782445/ath-ckr-9ltd
Just listed, i have opportunity to buy Rockets w/black cable, rockets are my favorite iems, but hated the unforgiving white cable. But gotta sell these 1st lol

Sep 29, 2015 at 1:23 AM Post #1,025 of 1,193
Just got my ali ckr9ltd bout a week ago.
And I just want to share my honest opinion regarding these "fakes" .

after bout a week of burn in (roughly 50 hours ++) I had the opportunity to compare it directly with the ATH IM70 and to my surprise the description by earfonia is exactly spot on.

Compared to ATH-IM70, CKR9 bass level is a tad less than IM70, but much tighter and less boomy. Bass quality of CKR9 is better than IM70 bass. Somehow IM70 imaging is slightly less congested, like listening to music in a big reverberant music hall. While CKR9 gives the perception of listening music in a dryer, less reverberant hall. Vocal is again more forward on CKR9. Overall detail and clarity is better on CKR9

That was exactly how I found the CKR9LTD compared to the IM70. First and foremost, the increased bass quantity that IM70 has over the CKR9LTD, and also the dryer/colder sounding presentation compared to the IM70.
And I compared them both before I found the part where earfonia compares the ckr9 with the IM70.

So for those of you who assumed that the ALI-CKR9LTD are fakes, I'm pretty sure they ain't :)

Sep 29, 2015 at 5:24 AM Post #1,026 of 1,193
Just got my ali ckr9ltd bout a week ago.
And I just want to share my honest opinion regarding these "fakes" .

after bout a week of burn in (roughly 50 hours ++) I had the opportunity to compare it directly with the ATH IM70 and to my surprise the description by earfonia is exactly spot on.

That was exactly how I found the CKR9LTD compared to the IM70. First and foremost, the increased bass quantity that IM70 has over the CKR9LTD, and also the dryer/colder sounding presentation compared to the IM70.
And I compared them both before I found the part where earfonia compares the ckr9 with the IM70.

So for those of you who assumed that the ALI-CKR9LTD are fakes, I'm pretty sure they ain't :)

Glad to hear it. I've been rocking mine for a week or so now, and they sound awesome. Easily worth more than the 60 CAD paid. Deal of the year? :D

Oct 1, 2015 at 2:56 AM Post #1,028 of 1,193
I really like the 10s so far and think they were the right choice for me.  I'm surprised how comfortable they are and stay in my ears really well.  The bass is a bit too present on certain tracks but they only have a day or so of play time. Vocals are great on them.  

Oct 1, 2015 at 3:09 AM Post #1,029 of 1,193
I really like the 10s so far and think they were the right choice for me.  I'm surprised how comfortable they are and stay in my ears really well.  The bass is a bit too present on certain tracks but they only have a day or so of play time. Vocals are great on them.  

I'm glad you're enjoying them. I agree with everything you say about them: slightly bassy on some recordings, amazing vocals and excellent ergonomics :)

Oct 15, 2015 at 12:09 PM Post #1,030 of 1,193
I bought a used version of the CKR9LTD on ebay for around 56 bucks. 

Wow, all I can say is that the bass really digs deep and maybe slightly overpowering than my CKR10's.

Mids a touch more recessed than the CKR10's which I loved on the CKR10's.

I think due to the more recessed midrange, it does leave room for the treble to be more noticeable.

I also have the CKR9's but one side now has lower volume for some reason. They literally sat in their case for like a month or 2 and when I tried them back on a few weeks ago, I almost cried.

But what I do remember is that I found the CKR9's a bit too nasal sounding for male vocals which was a bit too unnatural sounding for me. I could live with those IEMs, but I much prefer the CKR10's and for now the CKR9LTD.

No idea if the original owner has burned them in (which I will to see if there will be any differences) or the hours they've used them for as the ebay seller was selling them for their brother.

The cable does seem to be a LOT more rubberized than the cable on the CKR9's and CKR10's.

The strain relief is a little damaged but hopefully it's because it was a cosmetic damage from factories or something (as said from the "knock offs" from China on ebay)

All in all, for 56 bucks it's pretty great! I just hope they'll last me for a year at least.

EDIT: Could someone link me to where or how you can check the serial numbers?

Oct 23, 2015 at 4:32 PM Post #1,033 of 1,193
Can anyone comment on the difference between the technical characteristics of headphones ATH-CKR10 different sites of AT?
https://www.audio-technica.co.jp/atj/show_model.php?modelId=2601

http://www.audio-technica.com/cms/headphones/df517c93c488bb58/index.html

http://eu.audio-technica.com/en/products/product.asp?catID=5&subID=38&prodID=4668

http://audio-technica.ru/catalog/casual/#rubric_35/283

Oct 27, 2015 at 10:50 AM Post #1,034 of 1,193
Got CKR9LTD. Not fan of these. Hard to listen it with loud volume unlike IM02/IM04. This might be because of uneven frequency response. I even prefer IM02 to these. IM04 is amazing. Lows of CKR9LTD easily lose to IM04.
Will try to adapt my brain more with these.

Oct 27, 2015 at 10:52 AM Post #1,035 of 1,193
Got CKR9LTD. Not fan of these. Hard to listen it with loud volume unlike IM02/IM04. This might be because of uneven frequency response. I even prefer IM02 to these. IM04 is amazing. Lows of CKR9LTD easily lose to IM04.
Will try to adapt my brain more with these.

Based on a lot of what I've read I'm certain the ali ones are like 70% fakes. No way the CKR series should sound as bad some say.

FWIW, I like the CKR9 better than the IM02, but I've never heard the LTD. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back