Review of Audio Technica ATH-CKR9 & ATH-CKR10
Jul 7, 2014 at 11:51 AM Post #121 of 1,193
Depend a lot on the recording.
Dita has mild treble peak, when vocal recording is not smooth, or sibilant, DITA will reveals it. DITA is good for those vocal recording that is natural like the Chesky recordings. I don't like DITA for Stockfisch recordings for example. So depend on the recording.

IMHO CKR10 is more forgiving for vibrant vocal recording.

I'm curious, how does the bass on the CKR9 stack up to the DITA? Does it have less quantity or about the same? I'm also curious of how the two compare in staging. Does the DITA have a larger stage since you said the CKR9 was just average? I used to own both DITAs but sold them off for the UERM. I'm curious as to whether the CKR9 has a comparable sig to the DITA or if it's different

Jul 7, 2014 at 1:06 PM Post #122 of 1,193
I'm curious, how does the bass on the CKR9 stack up to the DITA? Does it have less quantity or about the same? I'm also curious of how the two compare in staging. Does the DITA have a larger stage since you said the CKR9 was just average? I used to own both DITAs but sold them off for the UERM. I'm curious as to whether the CKR9 has a comparable sig to the DITA or if it's different

Just for bass alone, CKR9 wins. CKR9 has the best bass I ever heard from an IEM.
Staging / imaging, DITA wins, more spacious than CKR9.
Both have different signatures, not really comparable.

Jul 7, 2014 at 1:17 PM Post #123 of 1,193
Too bad on staging. But I guess I have the UERM for that. I'm glad to hear its a different sig at least. Last thing I want is redundancy in my phones. Interesting about the bass as well. I know the CKR9 shares a very similar design to the Tralucent REF1 (push/pull). I'll be able to listen to my friend's REF1 in the coming days so I'm very curious of how the two will stack up.

Jul 14, 2014 at 5:15 AM Post #128 of 1,193
Isthe microphonics really that bad? I am coming from a JVC fxd80 and the microphonics are quite annoying

I have FXD80, about the same.
But FXD80 is more comfortable because it is smaller, and can be worn over the ears.

Jul 14, 2014 at 9:50 AM Post #130 of 1,193
  but in terms of sq is ckr 9 better? plan to pair it with fiio x5 :) coming from a sansa clip+ and jvc pair

CKR9 is better, more natural than the V shape tonality of FXD80.  FXD80 was one of my favourite IEM for about a year, and still is, especially for some classical recording. But I would say, overall CKR9 quality is better. But, but, CKR9 has a certain tonality, slight emphasize on the midrange and upper mids, that you might not like it when you try it on the first time. I do need some time to adjust to CKR9 tonality. It is not perfectly natural.

Coming from FXD80, I suggest you consider DUNU DN-1000 with JVC EP-FX8 eartips. It might suits you better.
FYI, I'm writing comparison of DN-1000, DN-2000, and JVC FX850 now, finishing soon. You might want to wait for it to get better picture.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back