[Review] NVX XPT100, A direct Brainwavz HM5 competitor
Oct 30, 2014 at 12:21 PM Post #106 of 161
To be honest - these headphones sound thin, hollow...no body to me. I'm kind of disappointed in them, even if they only cost me $80.  Vocals sound a bit nasally - but maybe thats what neutral headphones sound like?  I'm comparing against my HE-400is (i know several price classes above these) and my UE6000 in passive mode.  I've always thought the UE6000 were a warm tilting but mostly neutral can, even more neutral with the 400i since it shares a similar sound with the 560. 

Looking at the Brainwavz HM5 and Fischer FA003 graphs, it looks like sub bass is pretty weak (drops off pretty hard < 50hz) and theres a weird dip around 300hz - i wonder if this might be the cause?

Oct 30, 2014 at 1:17 PM Post #109 of 161
Oct 30, 2014 at 3:57 PM Post #110 of 161
I got these headphones for $80 also and for that price I think they sound good. I think they have good body and tone, but yes, the bass could extend deeper, and there is a bit of warbliness in the mid range where the vocals are normally placed. It was not a dealbreaker for me, I only noticed it on certain songs,but I definitely see what you mean.you can always send them back and get something else in the price range.

Nov 14, 2014 at 11:44 AM Post #111 of 161
Will I need some kind of amp or DAC or something to get the best quality out of these headphones, or will they sound fine as soon as I plug them into my computer/iPod?  I'm really hoping to use these to make games sound beautiful and for listening to music genres like jazz, electro, orchestral/choir pieces, and some bass-heavy rock/metal stuff. 

Nov 14, 2014 at 11:51 AM Post #112 of 161
They are sensitive enough where you can enjoy them out of a smart phone or an iPod, and they will sound even better out of an ipad or a laptop.. But of course, it will sound better plugged into an amp...

Nov 14, 2014 at 4:38 PM Post #113 of 161
They are sensitive enough where you can enjoy them out of a smart phone or an iPod, and they will sound even better out of an ipad or a laptop.. But of course, it will sound better plugged into an amp...

I know amps have their merits, but I'd rather not spend money on extra hardware just to fully enjoy a good pair of headphones like these.  I'm not much of an audiophile, I just want my games and my music and my movies to sound wicked nice without spending more than I really need to.  I have been looking at a couple of other pairs of headphones, namely the Sennheiser HD 280 PRO and the Audio-Technica ATH-M50S.  Based on what I'm looking for in a pair of circumaural, closed-air headphones, which of these three would be the most suitable?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back