Review -Nuforce uDac & HDP, Aqvox, Naim DAC
Apr 1, 2010 at 5:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

waterlogic

100+ Head-Fier
I found this review

http://macrewind.de/Ausgabe212.pdf

Since I (still) have the Aqvox Dac, I found it quite interesting.

Have a look, it might be interesting for you too.
regular_smile .gif

Apr 1, 2010 at 5:26 PM Post #2 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by waterlogic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I found this review

http://macrewind.de/Ausgabe212.pdf

Since I (still) have the Aqvox Dac, I found it quite interesting.

regular_smile .gif

Note: at the end of the review there is a comparison table:
I noticed there is a mistake with Aqvox it can do only 24/41.6, 48 via USB and not 24/192 (Aqvox people have announced an upgrade for USB to do 24/192, but as far as I know not available yet.).

Also: The review is in German language (could not find an english version ...).

Apr 1, 2010 at 5:28 PM Post #3 of 14
It's all Germaaaaaan.... which I doubt majority of Head-fi can read.
tongue.gif

Would be cool if someone can translate it.

Apr 1, 2010 at 5:30 PM Post #4 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by K_19 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's all Germaaaaaan.... which I doubt majority of Head-fi can read.
tongue.gif

Would be cool if someone can translate it.

I could do it, but I am quite busy this month...

I am sure someone will jump in .

Apr 1, 2010 at 7:08 PM Post #5 of 14
Quote:

ja ja ja, but we don't spreken zie deutsch...what's their conclusion anyway?

Apr 1, 2010 at 9:16 PM Post #7 of 14
Yeah, what is the conclusion? I have been considering the Naim Dac as I already have a Naim/Monitor Audio stereo setup.

Apr 1, 2010 at 10:18 PM Post #9 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by leeperry /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ja ja ja, but we don't spreken zie deutsch...what's their conclusion anyway?

Hello perry-lee.

Always time to learn whatever language (german is not my language btw, you see I managed to learn it, so for you would be a piece of cake. It is a nice language, lots of great literature etc).

Until then I will try to make a short brief for you and of course everybody else :

The author tries to walk a potential computer music user through possible approaches of how to achieve digital music reproduction.
He is pointing out especially what is appropriate for mobile use, what is better for desktop use, also taking into account if you need red book or hi-res capability, quality of sound. With each product he points out its pluses and minuses.

GEFEN D to A - somewhat edgy digital sound, upto 24/96, no USB, separate PSU - it helps Mac Pro to better sound than its on-board sound card though.

NUFORCE UDAC - he admires this match box sized device and its sound if you need red book reproduction only, sound-wise surpassing most computer standard sound cards. Recommends its use on long journeys (airplane) for it is USB-powered. He believes, it is very good with appropriate headphones, very nice quality of how well it is made. He says it is "sweet" and money well invested - ie. good value.

NUFORCE ICON HDP - He marvels everything about this device, praising sound, very good DAC part, quality components, more than adequate HP amp, lot of inputs and outputs for its compact size, also appropriate amp for desktop speakers.
He believes it is excellent value saying it is a bullseye (Volltrefer) product, recommends it for desktop use (compact size).

AQVOX - Good sound, good quality parts, good case, good HP amp (but problematic with hi-impedance HPs - i.e. not loud enough - I can confirm this since I have Aqvox - good but too quiet with Sennheiser HD 800), mic in , good set of inputs/outputs (also balanced outs). Relatively big for desktop use.

NAIM DAC - Fantastic sound (one of the best), high (top) quality design/components/build , has the apple chip - i.e. you can feed digital data from ipods, iphones - that is bypassing ipod/iphone internal DAC - no need for separate dock (like Wadia) - you just need the usb sync cable that comes with ipod/iphone, you can control ipod from the unit (you can trigger sync also) - Main drawbacks (on/off at the back -> not useful in a rack, scarce on outputs, expensive - no HP amp as Aqvox). Too big for desktop use.

ONKYO ipod dock (with apple ID chip) is also being used in the audition.
The reviewer believes Onkyo is the cheapest doc to his knowledge to get digital data out of ipod/iphone (140 Euros). (note: only NAIM has this capability built in here - in this review)

Conclusion - I think it is a nice review (more than informative) and the reviewer looks non-biased (from the name of this online paper "Mac Rewind" I believe it is aimed at Apple comp users - which is ok ?) and I think he succeeds in addressing novice and advanced users in an interesting way.

NOTE: since English is not my mother tongue either, please excuse any tipos etc...

Apr 1, 2010 at 10:30 PM Post #11 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by adiZero /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah, what is the conclusion? I have been considering the Naim Dac as I already have a Naim/Monitor Audio stereo setup.

Hi

The guy is full of praise for NAIM DAC Sound. The minuses are as far as I am concerned minor ones if it sounds as he says. (there are plenty of inputs i.e. you can hook CD players etc - I think the lack of more outputs is not vital)

Personally I am intrigued to grab a chance to audition this dac, it is maybe too expensive though...

If you buy it please tell us how it sounds.

Cheers

Apr 1, 2010 at 10:41 PM Post #12 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by adiZero /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks a lot for a very nice summary!

No problem. I can do some more regarding Naim if you need, but as said if you take away the price-tag looks that Naim has done it again !

Apr 2, 2010 at 1:07 AM Post #13 of 14
Quote:

Hello perry-lee.

Always time to learn whatever language (german is not my language btw, you see I managed to learn it, so for you would be a piece of cake. It is a nice language, lots of great literature etc).

[..] English is not my mother tongue

thanks for the translation! english ain't my native tongue either, and I'm also quite fluent in spanish FWIW...german is pretty much the only language that's totally unbearable to my ears, maybe it's written in my genes(being français and all), dunno
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back