Review: NAD Viso HP50
May 28, 2014 at 5:59 PM Post #61 of 184
I respectfully disagree. The PSB M4U1 (also voiced by Paul Barton based on "Room Feel" principles) sound virtually the same (a very slight bit less bright), but with much more robust and quieter construction. At the same $300, those are the giant killers. For anyone able to get comfortable with them, the Sennheiser Momentum are not very far off the mark, and are arguably more musical, if not quite as spacious sounding–and definitely are more portable and utterly creak-free. The HP50's creaky build quality and resulting noise are more distracting than ambient noise when listening to my open back headphones. It's a significant shortcoming in otherwise outstanding headphone.

May 28, 2014 at 11:32 PM Post #62 of 184
So I've been using the HP50s for months now. For some reason, the T and S sounds are super strong and hurt my ears, I've never had this problem in the first months of using it, and what's even weirder is that these headphones are more known for being slighty dark. Super weird...

May 29, 2014 at 9:05 AM Post #63 of 184
I respectfully disagree. The PSB M4U1 (also voiced by Paul Barton based on "Room Feel" principles) sound virtually the same (a very slight bit less bright), but with much more robust and quieter construction. At the same $300, those are the giant killers. For anyone able to get comfortable with them, the Sennheiser Momentum are not very far off the mark, and are arguably more musical, if not quite as spacious sounding–and definitely are more portable and utterly creak-free. The HP50's creaky build quality and resulting noise are more distracting than ambient noise when listening to my open back headphones. It's a significant shortcoming in otherwise outstanding headphone.

Well I haven't noticed the short coming you mention... so my statement still stands true. Let's call it 3 potential giant killers for those out there pondering the choices :)

May 30, 2014 at 6:53 PM Post #64 of 184
I wouldn't wear the HP 50 publicly, they are the goofiest looking headphones that I have ever seen that were designed for portable use. They make you look like Frankenstein.

I think the Momentum has the trifecta of style, sound, and (for me), comfort.

May 31, 2014 at 11:10 PM Post #65 of 184
I wouldn't wear the HP 50 publicly, they are the goofiest looking headphones that I have ever seen that were designed for portable use. They make you look like Frankenstein.

I think the Momentum has the trifecta of style, sound, and (for me), comfort.

That is a little rude don't you think? I wore them in public, are you saying I looked like Frankenstein, but if I wore the Momentums I would look cool?

Jun 2, 2014 at 4:51 PM Post #68 of 184
No worries there mate, and frankly now that I think about it I kind of like the Frankenstein comparison. I agree that these are not the best looking headphones for out in public anyway. I almost bought the Momentums, but for $50 more and with a significant number of users feeling the HP50 sounded better (very subjective I realize) I opted for the HP50s. Love the sound signature, not the looks as much (but I don't find them ugly at all either).

Jun 2, 2014 at 6:23 PM Post #69 of 184
Ah yeah, the looks are a downside so far as I'm concerned.  I've ordered a pair because
I'm interested in what Inner Fidelity said about the "Room Feel" sound signature.  But really
I put it off for months because the visual design strikes me as awkward.  IMO.

But sound is the thing... just hoping it is not too warm.

Jun 9, 2014 at 4:21 AM Post #71 of 184
Well, I'm full time Frankenstein for about a month (around 2h travel, to-and-back from work).
I didn't notice any negative crowd reactions for my+hp50 "look". I have "white" version.
I was using iem's for a long time when travelling. But when I first tried hp50 on - I knew, there is no way I'm leaving them home.

Respect to every Frankenstein out there!

Jun 14, 2014 at 1:53 PM Post #73 of 184
The HD 600 is an excellent hi-fi headphone, but it is an open back phone designed to be connected to stereo equipment at home. You will need an amplifier to bring out all of its capabilities. The HP 50 is something you could use right out of the smart phone or connected to a stereo.
Both are excellent. Both are fairly neutral. If you are using it primarily at home, HD 600 is what I would go with. HP 50 is what I would go with if I wanted to listen out of my phone.

Jun 14, 2014 at 2:05 PM Post #74 of 184
The HD 600 is an excellent hi-fi headphone, but it is an open back phone designed to be connected to stereo equipment at home. You will need an amplifier to bring out all of its capabilities. The HP 50 is something you could use right out of the smart phone or connected to a stereo.
Both are excellent. Both are fairly neutral. If you are using it primarily at home, HD 600 is what I would go with. HP 50 is what I would go with if I wanted to listen out of my phone.

I plan on getting the iBasso DX50, would i still need an amp to drive the hd600s or no?
'

Jun 14, 2014 at 2:43 PM Post #75 of 184
You will eventually want to get it. You can definitely get okay volume out of your player, but the HD 600 is many times better with the high quality amp. Mine sounds amazing with the $120 Schiit Vali, but the 600 gets better and better the better you feed it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back