Review: NAD Viso HP50
Jan 9, 2014 at 7:52 AM Post #16 of 184
Than you for this great review! I have had the NAD Viso HP50 for a bit over 6 weeks now and I really love them! They simply sound great, are not picky on the amp, are very comfortable, and transportable. Just the cable is a bit too short for some situations. They (luckily) do not compete with my Fostex TH-900, which has a very different soundstage and presence. But the NAD Viso HP50 sound excellent (and for the price they are incredibly good)! Hope that one can get a little longer cable from NAD soon or a aftermarket cable. For now, I am using a simple extension but I am not a huge fan of having multiple connections in particular when the connector have a different form (ie, straight vs angled). 

Jan 11, 2014 at 5:04 PM Post #17 of 184
They are nowhere near my modded JVC DX 1000 and Sony CD 3000. But they do certainly isolate quite a bit bette.  I find it odd to read that these are "bass shy" to some though I can see they are if you go from headphones like EPH-100, P7 and Momentum. Everything is relative. I have kind of looked myself as a bass head but it appears that have changed. I am really running from amps that add extra warmth and bass also with the NADs and I kind of have a preference for that I am not a treble head.

I am sitting now with my LCD-2 and DX 1000 and wonder where did the bass go... Well not really it´s all there of course and more detailed but not the sheer volume. As for the comfort as I kind of already knew on ear don´t quite work in long term for my ears but I can alternate between EPH-100 and the NADs so that will work out.

Anyway I am quite happy with them. Whenever I wear them I am never in a hurry to change headphones but yes it´s not like they can really compete with my other closed headphones. The Yamaha EPH-100 is quite a bit cheaper so it´s hard then to find them being a super value or something particularly since comfort is compromised here too.

Jan 20, 2014 at 12:39 PM Post #19 of 184
  Hi everyone,
I am interested in buying either the hp50 or the sennheiser momentum. The favourable things being said about the soundstage of the hp50 and its midrange do make me very happy.
Can anyone post a bit more in-depth comparison with the momentum over the ear?
Thanks,
Greetings, Anouk,

I ended up returning my pair of HP50's. Nevertheless, its sound was very clear and slightly warm. However, I ended up preferring the Momentum's midrange presentation. It seems to just nail it in terms of vocal tonality. Also, the bass quantity, though accurate, on the HP50 was simply lacking in drum and bass while the Momentum had just the right amount of boost to transition through different genres with no sense of bass deficiency. Soundstaging on the HP50 was marvelous and very spacious making the Momentum sound somewhat congested in direct comparison. It is until you listen to the Momentum more and readjust to it you realize that it's not congested sounding, but rather intimate, forward and warm sounding. 

Ultimately, it boils down to preference between the two where the HP50 is a open, controlled and accurate sounding headphone while the momentum is a more laid back, rich and warm sounding headphone.

Jan 20, 2014 at 2:31 PM Post #21 of 184
  You started a post saying the HP50s were the second coming of Christ, the HD800 killers, and you returned them?

Not HD800 killers, the HD800 are still technically superior, however I prefer the HP50's and a lot of other headphones' sound signature to the HD800. And ultimately, I prefer the Momentums' sound signature to the HP50. 

For me, sound signature beats sound quality any day.

Jan 28, 2014 at 6:46 PM Post #27 of 184
Has anyone use the NAD HP 50 in an airplane? I just hate noise canceling headphones. Since these NADs have good sound, I was wondering if the do a decent job blocking the airplane noise.

I've used mine on an airplane. The do a decent job of noise reduction. I used to travel with Sony MDR-V6s years ago, and from memory the HP 50s are better at reducing airplane noise. My go to noise busters are IEMs however, and my Westone 3s do a much better job than both the HP50s and the MDR-V6s. 

Jan 28, 2014 at 9:48 PM Post #28 of 184
Thanks, I also use iem when I travel (shure se310) probably not as good as yours, but they do good job blocking the noise. However, I recently made a long trip to Asia, 18 hours, and my ears started to hurt after a while. I started looking for a better alternative. I thought of custom iems, but too much hustle and $$$. I am not a big fan of noise canceling, nor I am of Bose , but I did try the Bose Q15 anyway and I hated its sound (I don't really understand why people like Bose products).
Now I am thinking, if the NAD HP50 sounds great and do a decent job blocking outside noise, they could be a good solution when I travel, at least for very loooooong trips.

Jan 30, 2014 at 2:55 AM Post #29 of 184
I am sitting now with my LCD-2 and DX 1000 and wonder where did the bass go... Well not really it´s all there of course and more detailed but not the sheer volume. As for the comfort as I kind of already knew on ear don´t quite work in long term for my ears but I can alternate between EPH-100 and the NADs so that will work out.

Hi oqvist,

What do you mean, that the bass of the HP50 is more detailed but lower in volume than the Audeze LCD-2 or viceversa?

I have the LCD-2 but I need closed headphones when there is noise at the street. I am considering something in the price range of the HP50. Reading this review they seem like a good option.

Jan 30, 2014 at 10:59 AM Post #30 of 184

Hi oqvist,

What do you mean, that the bass of the HP50 is more detailed but lower in volume than the Audeze LCD-2 or viceversa?

I have the LCD-2 but I need closed headphones when there is noise at the street. I am considering something in the price range of the HP50. Reading this review they seem like a good option.

HP50 has way more mid bass but less extension and detail. The LCD-2 comparison is perhaps not the most relevant for your use. For me I need to equalize it heavilly if I would be fine with it for other genres then classical, accoustic where it seems to be easier to live with huge treble drop for whatever odd reason... I know the HP50 is supposed to be designed to make the presentation more speaker like but no speaker I ever listened to has been this dark sounding. You don´t need to subdue the treble this much to make for an entirely fatiguefree listening session. But maybe it´s something with my pair or the pad accoustics not working right with my ears. Curious what headphones people tried that they find even darker? I have more experience with full sized and my HP50 is darker then both HD 650 and Audeze LCD-2 Rev 1

Users who are viewing this thread

Back