REVIEW (more to come) - CEntrance DACport 24/96 USB DAC Amp
Dec 24, 2011 at 7:52 PM Post #243 of 515
I like to hear about DacPort vs. Apogee Duet 2 in sound.  Anyone has them both?

Jan 28, 2012 at 5:41 PM Post #244 of 515
Does the Dacport short out/looses signal when there is not enough USB power? 
When Dacport is connected to my Macbook Pro (running on battery and not ac power), and I turn up the volume, there is zap sound and my itunes turn off because Dacport looses signal.  Is this a common problem? 
It seems like I need a USB powered Hub to give the Dacport enough juice.

Jan 29, 2012 at 1:16 AM Post #245 of 515
Does the Dacport short out/looses signal when there is not enough USB power? 
When Dacport is connected to my Macbook Pro (running on battery and not ac power), and I turn up the volume, there is zap sound and my itunes turn off because Dacport looses signal.  Is this a common problem? 
It seems like I need a USB powered Hub to give the Dacport enough juice.

I haven't seen that problem. Try plugging the DACport into either the left USB or Rear USB port, depending on what year model MacBook Pro you have. I've read that those have more power because they don't share power with the keyboard.

Jan 29, 2012 at 11:43 AM Post #247 of 515
I noticed less problem with the USB on the right vs left.  But Dacport plugged on the left makes the light on the Dacport blink on and off with the signal turning on and off. 
It must be my battery.  My mackbook pro is pretty old.  Had the battery replaced but still not keeping the charge.  I have the Dacport hooked to a powered USB hub and it works well on the iMac.  But I do realize that this Dacport needs a lot of power.  

Having said that...I didn't think I would find a better portable dac/amp than the Pico and I regretted ever selling it but now I'm finding that HeadphoneAddict you are right.  Sound wise, the Dacport really sounds better to my ears than the Pico dac/amp.  The transparency, detail and the midrange is superior. Thanks for your review.  It's why I purchased the Dacport instead of going back to the Pico.  
Quote:
I haven't seen that problem. Try plugging the DACport into either the left USB or Rear USB port, depending on what year model MacBook Pro you have. I've read that those have more power because they don't share power with the keyboard.

Jan 31, 2012 at 12:43 AM Post #248 of 515

Have you had any problems with this?
Ok, I reported that when there's not enough power coming from my Macbook, and when I turn up the volume, the Dacport will make a "zap" sound and cut off/out.  
But also when I plug the Dacport to my iMac without turning the volume down with headphone plugged in, it will also make a "zap" sound.  
Is this normal?  I guess I should remember to turn down the volume or at least not have the headphone plugged in but anyone else have these problems?

Should I be concerned?  I got it used here. 

Feb 5, 2012 at 4:01 AM Post #249 of 515

Quote:

Ok, I reported that when there's not enough power coming from my Macbook, and when I turn up the volume, the Dacport will make a "zap" sound and cut off/out.  
But also when I plug the Dacport to my iMac without turning the volume down with headphone plugged in, it will also make a "zap" sound.  
Is this normal?  I guess I should remember to turn down the volume or at least not have the headphone plugged in but anyone else have these problems?

Hmm, I have never plugged it into a computer while connected to headphones on my head.  When I tried it just now I only get a quiet "Splooop" sound when I unplug or plug in the DACport while listening.  Don't know if my Sploop sound is like your Zap sound or not.

Feb 5, 2012 at 11:40 AM Post #250 of 515
I'm not sure if I experienced the same issue but with my DACport that I use everyday at work I do hear sometimes (3-4 weeks average) a zap noise and to headphone out port become silent. I can see the music being played in Foobar. I have to go in the Foobar output and reselect the DACport and save the setting. The music start to play again. I'm not sure if it's my new Windows 7 computer at work or the DACport that is the problem.

Quote:

Feb 9, 2012 at 4:54 PM Post #251 of 515
Picked up the DACport LX. Listening to it directly without an amp. Definitely losses some punch without the amp section, but it's quite a bit more transparent than the original DACport.

Feb 9, 2012 at 8:39 PM Post #252 of 515

Hi vert,
Quote:
Picked up the DACport LX. Listening to it directly without an amp. Definitely losses some punch without the amp section, but it's quite a bit more transparent than the original DACport.

Are you using IEMs or something that requires more power?  

I have a friend who loaned me his DACport LX.  I also found that it lacks "punch" as you say when used without an amp - and when used with full size headphones, too bright for my tastes.  The LCD-2 or even the Senn HD280, both of which are technically low-impedance phones, are far more power hungry than an IEM like the Shure SE530, which worked very well with the DACport LX (and no amp).  With the IEMs, I found the DACport LX to be really spectacular - just as transparent as with the LCD-2, but nowhere near as bright as with the full size phones, where the lack of power fails to push the bass frequencies as well as the mids and highs.  The biggest nuisance with using the DACport LX without an amp is keeping the volume way down, via the software that's running on your laptop or PC.  

My friend uses his DACport LX with his Thinksound Rain IEMs, exclusively.  He doesn't even own a headphone amp.  I really don't have enough experience at listening to various equipment to carry much weight when I say this, but I've praised his purchase decisions for how great his rig sounds (DACport LX + Thinksound Rain) for so little money invested.  It's extremely detailed, without sounding edgy or harsh, and very balanced.  I have to say, however, that this setup is pretty unforgiving of poor recordings and probably wouldn't be very appealing to those who have a strong preference for the smoother, more lush sound of tubes.  But if you like a really balanced, transparent, colorless, and detailed reproduction, it's a lot of bang for the buck.  

In other words, the DACport LX makes even affordable IEMs sound great.

Here's Average_Joe's review of the Thinksound Rain IEMs, by the way (not used with the DACport LX, but it may be of interest to those who haven't heard of these IEMs):  
http://www.head-fi.org/t/464801/thinksound-thunder-rain-iem-reviews-the-eco-friendly-iem-or-more-wood-note-thunder-will-be-renamed-ts01#post_6289179

Mike

Feb 9, 2012 at 11:12 PM Post #253 of 515

With the IEMs, I found the DACport LX to be really spectacular - just as transparent as with the LCD-2, but nowhere near as bright as with the full size phones, where the lack of power fails to push the bass frequencies as well as the mids and highs.  The biggest nuisance with using the DACport LX without an amp is keeping the volume way down, via the software that's running on your laptop or PC.  

Yes, I'm using them with Phonak 232s. I agree with the volume control setting nuisance. And you're right, it's a great setup for computer headphone listening. I find the loss of punch compared to the original Dacport to be more than offset by the increase in transparency and musicality. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back