REVIEW (more to come) - CEntrance DACport 24/96 USB DAC Amp
May 25, 2011 at 9:47 PM Post #136 of 515

Quote:
Some questions:

Would the DACport out of a MAcbook to Grado RS-2i and/or Beyer DT880 600s sound good? Right now I have a nuforce uDAC, out to either a headstage Arrow 3G or a LD 1+. Will the DACport make a substantial difference in any of the configurations with the above amps and headphones?

I never test 2 headphones you mentioned in DACport, but from my experience, DACport is better than set up uDac2 + M-Stage in term of detail and overall refinement sound.

May 27, 2011 at 3:40 PM Post #137 of 515
How does this compares to the Apogee One?  The Apogee One is only $249.

http://www.apogeedigital.com/products/one.php

May 27, 2011 at 9:55 PM Post #138 of 515
if you read the original review, Headphone Addict finds it superior to Apogee's mini, which is two steps above. (one = $250, duet = $450, mini = $750)  but this is the new version of the one, which like the new version of the duet, has just come out, so it hasn't yet been reviewed here.  Could be lots better!

May 30, 2011 at 2:33 AM Post #139 of 515
http://centrance.com/blog/2011/05/22/come-see-us-at-the-show/

Some news about the DACport LX
Quote:
The Home Entertainment Show, aka T.H.E. Show focuses on High-End Audio & Home Theater. It will be held this year in Newport Beach, CA from June 3rd through the 5th. CEntrance will be exhibiting its popular DACport and DACmini, and will also show something new – DACport LX, our latest product.

Designed to be the smallest 24/96 USB DAC, DACport LX is mighty for its size. It shares the technology with our award-winning DACport, and comes with a fixed output level. DACport LX is ideal for connecting a Mac or PC to an external amp with speakers. It will bypass the built-in sound card offering a professional-level improvement in sound quality, jitter and noise. Check out DACport’s reviews to get a sense of what DACport LX will bring to the table.

May 30, 2011 at 8:25 PM Post #140 of 515

Quote:
http://centrance.com/blog/2011/05/22/come-see-us-at-the-show/

Some news about the DACport LX

So an ampless DACPort basically.  Interesting.  

May 31, 2011 at 1:46 AM Post #143 of 515

Quote:
From their latest blog entry , it is $349.95

$350 for an ampless DACPort that costs $399?  Unless they are doing something to enhance DAC performance beyond removing the amp section I think that is a bit much.

Jun 3, 2011 at 2:02 AM Post #144 of 515

Quote:
$350 for an ampless DACPort that costs $399?  Unless they are doing something to enhance DAC performance beyond removing the amp section I think that is a bit much.

Have you looked at the price of a Pico DAC-only lately?  It's $299 with no amp and only 16/48 native with up-sampling to 24/96, but no native hi-res support.  On the other hand, I do think $299 would be a better price point for an amp-less DACport, to make up for the lack of an amp.  Even better would have been to add a line out to the headphone amp, and maybe charge a little more above the standard DACport.

Jun 3, 2011 at 2:10 AM Post #145 of 515

Quote:
Have you looked at the price of a Pico DAC-only lately?  It's $299 with no amp and only 16/48 native with up-sampling to 24/96, but no native hi-res support.  On the other hand, I do think $299 would be a better price point for an amp-less DACport, to make up for the lack of an amp.  Even better would have been to add a line out to the headphone amp, and maybe charge a little more above the standard DACport.

I agree with all of that.  Including Pico gear being on the high side.  As good as the DACPort sounds I am intrigued about how much better it could get if I provide my own amp section.

Jun 3, 2011 at 2:19 AM Post #146 of 515
plus isn't $349 like the $499 "standard" price?  I'd imagine this might realistically be $299 street, which would be quite reasonable.

Jun 4, 2011 at 10:30 PM Post #149 of 515
and a lot of dealers used to list the price as $499 list, Sale: $399, even though it wasn't a sale, per se, since it had never been any higher.

Jun 5, 2011 at 12:47 AM Post #150 of 515
For something for me to easily setup with my laptop when I'm at work, I'm impressed! Only had it for about 2 hours, did a quick comparison with my iMod/iQube combo, and its close! In fact I think the Macbook Pro/Amarra/Dacport combo wins in soundstaging and clarity, not as "musical" and the bass lacks some "oompf" in my opinion via the short comparison.

Very happy with the purchase from AVU :)

Man, it does get hot though... does that mean its a battery hog since its converting that much energy into heat? Will prob stick to my iMod for on-the-go listening and not switch to the iPad/Dacport~

Users who are viewing this thread

Back