Review: Meier Audio Prehead
Jun 25, 2003 at 3:46 AM Post #16 of 28
Enjoyable, informative, clear, and authoritative. But, Tubes, what did you really think?
tongue.gif

BTW, Tubes, you exercising that suture line in a proper and required fashion with the Buell yet?

Jun 25, 2003 at 3:47 AM Post #17 of 28
Quote:

Originally posted by elrod-tom
4) This amp is not the greatest in combination with the AKG K501. As some have said, this headphone (though one of my favorites) is a bit lacking in bass response. The PreHead is, IMHO, very strong in the upper end. I'm thinking that it's TOO strong for the K501's.

Heh heh I actually quite like the AKG501 with the Corda HA-2 and since the HA-2 is close to the PreHead chances are I think I'll like the PreHead too. The word "effortless" comes to mind. I also like the AKG501 with the Gilmore V2 as well. Very well driven. Other amps (Creek OBH-11, X-Cans V2, etc) just doesn't sound right with the AKG501 for me. But then again I heard all this in a meet full of people so take it as you will.

Jun 25, 2003 at 4:32 AM Post #19 of 28
Quote:

Originally posted by SuperMario
The PreHead is already in my list, but I would like to hear about the battery-powered version of the Emmeline.

Great review, Tuberoller... as usual!

Thanks

I think that might be the first double-post that has gotten through since the software upgrade!

Anyway: thanks for the review under difficult circumstances, TR.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 25, 2003 at 5:42 AM Post #20 of 28
Quote:

Originally posted by Masz
Heh heh I actually quite like the AKG501 with the Corda HA-2 and since the HA-2 is close to the PreHead chances are I think I'll like the PreHead too. The word "effortless" comes to mind. I also like the AKG501 with the Gilmore V2 as well. Very well driven. Other amps (Creek OBH-11, X-Cans V2, etc) just doesn't sound right with the AKG501 for me. But then again I heard all this in a meet full of people so take it as you will.

This has been my experience as well. The HA-2 is the best I've heard with the 501 and, as Tubes says, the 880 absolutely sings with the Cordas.

Jun 26, 2003 at 4:04 AM Post #22 of 28
As the former Corda Rep in Singapore. I can now say that the Corda line offers great versatility for matching with headphones. So when we do change headpohones a change in amp becomes less necessary. The PreHead-1 is indeed the most versatile of all the Corda amps as it offer 4 inputs, has 3 levels of crossfeed, a pre-out etc. It's also built (like all Corda amps) to last.

I have tried the Corda line with Beyer DT880, Senn HD-600, AKG 501, Grado RS-1 (as well as the whole of the Grado line) and HP-1 and many other cans like Sony CD-3000 and AT w-1000. They may not be the best match for all, but they do sound very good with the above cans.

My 2 ¢

Please note that I have given up being a Corda Rep in Singapore because the market just isn't there - hence I'm giving up the Grado bit as well.

Jun 26, 2003 at 12:53 PM Post #23 of 28
Nice review Tube. I really want to have a listen to the Prehead, Headroom Max and the Emmeline HR2. This will round out my SS adventures nicely.

Jun 27, 2003 at 4:05 PM Post #24 of 28
It's always good to see another PreHead review. I'm not sure why this amp isn't more popular around here.

"Knobs,switches and jacks are the best available as is typical with all Meier Audio products" (Tuberoller)

I had to disagree here. He uses pretty cheap jacks but they get the job done. Meier keeps the price/performance ratio strong by upgrading the parts that really impact sound quality and going cheap on the rest.

I also think it's weird the Tuberoller likes the PreHead so much but doesn't like the Gilmore. The Gilmore I heard (which was only Antness' first generation model) was very close in performance to the PreHead. The PreHead had a slightly smoother and more even midrange but I really thought it was close.

Jun 27, 2003 at 4:34 PM Post #25 of 28
Quote:

Originally posted by kelly
It's always good to see another PreHead review. I'm not sure why this amp isn't more popular around here.

I intend to get one as soon as Jan's done with the corresponding power amp, which should be sometime this fall...

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

Jun 28, 2003 at 4:25 PM Post #26 of 28
Dear Headfellows,

I'm not used to respond to any review on my own products. Normally everything is said by you fellow-head-fiers.

However, for once I would like to make an exception and add a few notes and remarks. (Maybe it's just designers proud and because I feel the PREHEAD is the best piece of equipment that I ever build :)

"I still hate those goofy,stick-on feet,which I have previously bashed.They must go."

Well, nothing in live is perfect! :wink:

I'm aware that the feet are not the best and nicest that can be had. However, truly nice feet are very expensive in many ways. Not only do they cost more, but mounting requires custom-modifications to the aluminium profile that's part of the enclosure. Such modifications, even if it would only be a few holes drilled, are generally rather expensive.

Goal of the PREHEAD was not to build the best sounding amp, but the best sounding amp for the money.

"I like an amp to sound very powerful and dynamic."

The PREHEAD has a maximum output of 5 Watts/channel at a 16 Ohm load. With 300 Ohm headphones the output is still 280 milliWatts.

It can make the mesh cover of the K1000 vibrate (no kidding, I've tested it!)

It's very unlikely that you will find a lack of dynamics! :)

"Does your unit use the LM6171 opamp?"

Yep, all the amps that are in possession of Tuberoller are based on the LM6171.

"I had to disagree here. He uses pretty cheap jacks but they get the job done."

Yesterday I got an offer from WBT on truly high-end input jacks. They would cost me approximately USD 13,- each. The PREHEAD needs 12 of them.

Now estimate how much the price of this amp would increase if I would use these jacks!

I would use them if I ever have the intention to build a no-limits headamp but this is very unlikely for the near future (unless of course Nik isn't very satisfied with his new R10 headamp and wants the best in solid-state! :wink:

Cheers,

Jan

Jun 28, 2003 at 11:01 PM Post #27 of 28
Hi Jan, have you ever considered putting high-end jacks on one input and maybe the preamp output while leaving the rest of lesser quality?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back