[REVIEW] MEElectronics M-DUO: The Treasured IEMs Under $100
Jan 18, 2015 at 12:22 PM Post #182 of 196
Anything you suggest in the under $50 range

I'm pretty sure you can snag the M-DUO for about $50 (or less) fairly regularly.  MEE also have a few single-driver IEMs on the market, which - for their price - do better than expected, such as the M6P and M9P, both of which are <$30.  Those work well for bus/train commutes, and you won't feel bad about these marinating in your gym bag between workouts.

You could also do a lot worse than Sony's MDR-EX100AP, which you can pick up for about $30.  They can be fun sounding without being too fatiguing.  They're a great upgrade over included phone-buds, and do well if you're an on-the-go listener.

Quick note: The above recommendations' weakness is the mid to treble range; mids tend to be recessed with bass reaching up into and cluttering it, and highs are either dull or a bit harsh (but never both).  None of these traits may bother you, however. :)

Jan 18, 2015 at 11:54 PM Post #183 of 196

I'm pretty sure you can snag the M-DUO for about $50 (or less) fairly regularly.  MEE also have a few single-driver IEMs on the market, which - for their price - do better than expected, such as the M6P and M9P, both of which are <$30.  Those work well for bus/train commutes, and you won't feel bad about these marinating in your gym bag between workouts.

You could also do a lot worse than Sony's MDR-EX100AP, which you can pick up for about $30.  They can be fun sounding without being too fatiguing.  They're a great upgrade over included phone-buds, and do well if you're an on-the-go listener.

Quick note: The above recommendations' weakness is the mid to treble range; mids tend to be recessed with bass reaching up into and cluttering it, and highs are either dull or a bit harsh (but never both).  None of these traits may bother you, however. :)

Explained better than me haha
Sometimes I feel a little "closed in" with these due to the recessed mids, but I can highly suggest them for your taste and budget.
And they do have an overall "fun" sound that I always enjoy listening to with music that better suits them.

Jan 22, 2015 at 6:47 PM Post #184 of 196
  Explained better than me haha
Sometimes I feel a little "closed in" with these due to the recessed mids, but I can highly suggest them for your taste and budget.
And they do have an overall "fun" sound that I always enjoy listening to with music that better suits them.

That characterizes them well!  Fun, but a little closed in.

I think it's already been said, these do a stellar job to block out ambient sound.  This is especially true if you switch to memory-foam tips.

Jan 22, 2015 at 6:57 PM Post #185 of 196
All I have to say is that I loved the treble on these when I had them. I have the RE-400s right now, and the treble is rolled-off in comparison. I'm new to higher-end audio equipment, and while I do love the RE-400s for what they are, I'm pretty sure it's safe to say that I really like bright, energetic treble.

Jan 22, 2015 at 10:24 PM Post #186 of 196
I've got about an hour on my pair, just delivered today 
ksc75smile.gif
, and something I noticed was that the treble was, to me, sibilant.  So, I turned down the treble on my X3 a couple notches, and was quite happy with that.  I then turned the bass up +5 with the stock silicone eartips, my Comply's aren't here yet, and gave them a listen.  There was some sound leak that my wife informed me about, so I broke into the other eartips, and with the triple flange tips, no leak.  Like, none at all!  I don't like the deep insertion of the triple flange, so I can't wait for my Comply tips to show up, but I can live with it a couple days.  Anyways, the bass is great on these.  I'm super impressed.  My bass reference IEM was the Atrio MG7, but these give a "feeling" of bass, where the Atrio's, while copious, the bass doesn't give the same "feeling".  I'm loving these IEM's, and I've only got an hour on them.  I will be giving these a thorough break-in, and can't wait to see what I end up with.  But color me impressed.  IEM tech has improved for sure since I got my Atrio's 6 years ago.

Jan 25, 2015 at 8:27 PM Post #188 of 196
I actually just "burned" them in for about 12 hours, and it's really tamed the sibilance. I've zeroed out the treble on my X3, and what I heard yesterday seems gone. Others have said, too, that Comply foam tips help tame the sibilance too. I have a set that should show up tomorrow, so I'll report back about it. Right now, I'm using the bi-flange tips.

Jan 25, 2015 at 9:00 PM Post #189 of 196
I actually just "burned" them in for about 12 hours, and it's really tamed the sibilance. I've zeroed out the treble on my X3, and what I heard yesterday seems gone. Others have said, too, that Comply foam tips help tame the sibilance too. I have a set that should show up tomorrow, so I'll report back about it. Right now, I'm using the bi-flange tips.

That's good! Neither time nor use tamed mine. The foam tips did help, however (the nozzles sat deeper in the ear canal), but it was not enough for me to keep them.

I liked them, but found the sound fatiguing.

Looking forward to your impressions with the foam tips.

Jan 27, 2015 at 9:27 AM Post #191 of 196
Well, I can definitively say that Comply Tsx400 tips tame treble, and increase bass response. It WILL shake your brain. At least with the Fiio X3 and the bass turned up to 10. It really is an incredible experience.

Agreed, foam tips accentuate bass too.  Another nice side-effect is the sound isolation, if you're after that.

M-DUOs pair up very well, and take on a much warmer and less harsh high-end, with foam tips.  Highly recommended.

Jun 6, 2015 at 7:43 AM Post #192 of 196
i thought this was funny http://i.imgur.com/oqn6poZ.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back