[Review] MEElectronics A161P - Intro Into Neutrality
Jun 8, 2012 at 12:04 AM Post #16 of 90
How does it compare to the RE262 (amped)?

Do you mean an amped RE262 vs an unamped A161p?  I didn't hear a whole lot of improvement when amping the A161p (maybe a little more control through the bass frequencies, but it sounded pretty great straight from my iPhone).. let's assume a head-to-head with both  being amped..

A161p is a hair faster and, obviously, more neutral.. but other than that, an amped RE262 is the better phone in every technical category.  Soundstage is larger, better dynamic range, more natural timbre, better microdetailing and extension.  The A161p's treble is a little crisper and airy (where the RE262 is smoother and a little laid back).

That being said, they're voiced quite differently.  The A161p going for neutrality & balance while the unabashedly colored RE262 is all about a liquid, smooth, lush, airy, almost ortho-like midrange presentation.  The A161p can dig surprisingly deep for a single BA phone.. it's smooth and natural sounding, but not to the extent the RE262 is.  Both are very special and offer tremendous value at their price points, but I think the RE262 is truly one of a kind.  I've heard nothing like it.

Jun 8, 2012 at 1:13 AM Post #18 of 90

Nice review Mr. Shane.  Good impressions, agree with everything that I remember reading :p

Quote:
I think I'm the same, why I love the GR07 but also the GR06 with it's more mid centric presentation. Have you heard any Phonaks? I'm very impressed with the 012.

The 012?  I hope you got some new filters in there, cause the green is nowhere close to where the A161 is.  Greys are as close as you'll get.  I still find the A161s much warmer than the grey filtered PFEs while the black ones are just as warm, just lack some midrange energy and dynamics. 

Jun 8, 2012 at 3:41 AM Post #19 of 90
Quote:

Do you mean an amped RE262 vs an unamped A161p?  I didn't hear a whole lot of improvement when amping the A161p (maybe a little more control through the bass frequencies, but it sounded pretty great straight from my iPhone).. let's assume a head-to-head with both  being amped..

A161p is a hair faster and, obviously, more neutral.. but other than that, an amped RE262 is the better phone in every technical category.  Soundstage is larger, better dynamic range, more natural timbre, better microdetailing and extension.  The A161p's treble is a little crisper and airy (where the RE262 is smoother and a little laid back).

That being said, they're voiced quite differently.  The A161p going for neutrality & balance while the unabashedly colored RE262 is all about a liquid, smooth, lush, airy, almost ortho-like midrange presentation.  The A161p can dig surprisingly deep for a single BA phone.. it's smooth and natural sounding, but not to the extent the RE262 is.  Both are very special and offer tremendous value at their price points, but I think the RE262 is truly one of a kind.  I've heard nothing like it.

Yes I was looking for a comparison between an amped RE262 and the unamped A161.
I am actually searching for IEMs with the same midrange magic that the RE262 has with a little more airiness and that without the need of an amp.

Jun 8, 2012 at 3:58 AM Post #20 of 90
I am actually searching for IEMs with the same midrange magic that the RE262 has with a little more airiness and that without the need of an amp.

Good luck with that.. I've searched for the same thing.. I don't think it exists.  The Ortofon e-Q5 came pretty damn close, though.

Like I said.. the RE262's mids have an ortho-like quality to them.. and not coincidentally, they remind me of the HE-500's mids.

Jun 8, 2012 at 4:32 AM Post #21 of 90
I find it odd people think it's as balanced and neutral as it's claimed, maybe the graphs are giving that illusion (which is really stretched out, making the bass boost smaller than it is, though it's fairly honest in graphing the treble). I like the product, but it's still not quite as neutral as a ER4S, DBA02 and even the Ety HF series. It's more like a Shure, midrange oriented sound that adds thickness, which allows it to be so accessible. Thus, I am very glad you have the CK10 as a benchmark for that. 

To be fair, people are coming from more colored IEMs than I, so there's that to consider

Jun 8, 2012 at 7:38 AM Post #23 of 90
@tinyman, thanks!

@Inks, I'm only seeing about a 2~3 db bass boost over 1k. That's about how it sounds to me too. It's not a lot more than what I hear from the ck10, which has surprisingly awesome bass. But no I'm not trying to say it's as neutral as those other sets you meantion but I think it is a great introduction to a more neutral sound than what most are used to. It sure was for me and helped open my eyes to how good more neutral signatures can sound. I'm not sure I would have tried the ck10 if not for the a161p. Thus the "intro" title to the review.

@psygeist, I plan on trying the re272 sometime in the future. I loved the re0 treble and if it is an overall improvement over that, I think I should really like it.

Jun 8, 2012 at 8:32 AM Post #24 of 90
The 012?  I hope you got some new filters in there, cause the green is nowhere close to where the A161 is.  Greys are as close as you'll get.  I still find the A161s much warmer than the grey filtered PFEs while the black ones are just as warm, just lack some midrange energy and dynamics. 

Yeah grey filter, I did state that on my later post. I'd love to have a go with the black but don't have them and have to return the PFE's now (on loan, Swimsonny). The A161 do sound great though, if they are a warmer sounding grey PFE then I'm in :)

Jun 8, 2012 at 3:40 PM Post #25 of 90
@Inks, I'm only seeing about a 2~3 db bass boost over 1k. That's about how it sounds to me too. It's not a lot more than what I hear from the ck10, which has surprisingly awesome bass. But no I'm not trying to say it's as neutral as those other sets you meantion but I think it is a great introduction to a more neutral sound than what most are used to. It sure was for me and helped open my eyes to how good more neutral signatures can sound. I'm not sure I would have tried the ck10 if not for the a161p. Thus the "intro" title to the review.

It's more like 4~6db boost over 1k, more than the EX1000 which I've been comparing to recently. 

Looking solely at the bass, specifically at 100-300hz which are the most prominent areas our ears pay attention to, an area that also causes the most midrange warmth. ER4S has no boost, GR10 has maybe a tad more, but very close the CK10's bass, though I wished I compared more to pin-point. 7550 will be like the EX1000 and A161P like UE600. If anything I think the A161 may have 1db more than UE600, but it's an educated guess since I find the bass to be easily 2db over the EX1000s. I think the EX1000 is more neutral (though not by a lot) than the A161P and perhaps the first edition GR07 is as well. 

It's somewhere between RE272 and e-Q5.

Warmer than both, EQ-5's bass was pretty identical to the GR10's IME. See above, the RE272 i'm told has less bass than even the ER4S, so it's going to the negatives. 

Jun 8, 2012 at 5:18 PM Post #26 of 90
I haven't heard the UE600 but according to Golden Ears, it has similar bass boost to the UM3X, around the 6gb mark you mentioned.  I can assure you that my A161P doesn't have anywhere near the bass presence of my UM3X.

Jun 8, 2012 at 5:31 PM Post #27 of 90
Quote:
I haven't heard the UE600 but according to Golden Ears, it has similar bass boost to the UM3X, around the 6gb mark you mentioned.  I can assure you that my A161P doesn't have anywhere near the bass presence of my UM3X.

I have no clue how the UE600 or UM3x sound, but I do have to agree that the A161s do not have the best bass presence, it's good, but definitely could use a little more improvement.  They could be a little more present in some songs.  Most they do a terrific job though.

Jun 8, 2012 at 5:41 PM Post #28 of 90
I dont take GE graphs very seriously, theyre messy at times due to their weird compensations. Wish they provided raw results.

UM3X does have a considerable amount more. Thats like a 7-8db boost.

I thought the 161 had a bit much bass, but the subbass is highly welcomed. Having more 100-300hz bass compromises midrange transparency for thickness/warmth.

Aug 31, 2012 at 8:32 PM Post #30 of 90
How many hours of burn-in should I subject these to?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back