Review: Maximo iMetal iP-HS5 iPhone earphones with mic/button (comparable to i590 / i595)
Apr 12, 2010 at 5:55 PM Post #16 of 26
Received my pair this weekend, have burned in for about 14 hours so far - already enjoying them quite a bit. No obvious / glaring faults for a $50 pair of earphones, and the seal and comfort level are better (for my ears) than my previous pair of ER-4S's. Definitely a great choice for budget in-ears.

Apr 12, 2010 at 6:17 PM Post #17 of 26
i love my Maximo-iM590s as well. And for the most part agree with HPA's review.

I preferred them over the NUfore IEMs as well. The NUforce came off as analytical sounding to me.

Can't wait for the iM790.

THe iM790s sound more refined, better balanced and wider soundstage as well.
FOr the modest increase in price they are well worth the upgrade.

Apr 12, 2010 at 7:33 PM Post #18 of 26
Hmm, I may be interested in checking out or reviewing the iM790 at some point (or their iPhone equivalent if available). 2 weeks ago at a funeral I gave my "poor" nephew (just out of college) my NE-7M, because he was using SkullCandy with his iPhone and couldn't afford better. He likes them so much he's afraid to work out with them because that's how he's been destroying the SkullCandy.

I am left with the Triple.fi 10vi and iP-HS5 for my iPhone. I mostly use the Triple.fi, but I keep the Maximo's in the arm rest of my car in case I need a stereo headset and forgot the TF. When I am in the mood for the euphonic sound of the NE-7M I can grab my NE-6 (without mic), but I'm more likely to grab my W3 if I'm not using a mic headset.

May 14, 2010 at 6:12 PM Post #22 of 26
Aug 13, 2010 at 2:40 PM Post #23 of 26
Mr. Addict,

Thank you for this review as well as your NE-7M review

I am looking to upgrade my IEMs to something with better isolation (& hopefully better sound).  I had been considering the Soundmagic PL-50 due to a Mr. Joker's glowing review of them.  However, I am planning on mating them to an Android phone (not yet purchased) & since no one is designing phones any longer w/external buttons (absurd) I need something that will provide some level of music control.  In my price range the only 2 options I have come across are the Maximo HS5 & the Nuforce NE-7M.

Not being an audiophile myself, I was wondering if you (or anyone) could elucidate some of your comparisons of these 2 IEMs for someone who does not know the language or have a proper frame of reference. 

You state:
Quote:
" If you are a "...music detail freak on a budget" the iMetal are more likely to please you than the NE-7M. If you like a smoother more musical or romantic sound then you may prefer the NE-7M."

Pardon my ignorance, but music detail (analytic often being mentioned synonymously) as well as smoothness/musicality both seem to be attributes I would like in a headset, yet in reading this forum I find these are often contradictory characteristics in various IEMs.  Which is more desirable?  Benefits/drawbacks of each?  I listen to a relatively wide range of musical styles so I would like something well rounded & balanced.  I don't want to fool with an amp.  I imagine I would prefer a more "laid back" headset to a "more energetic & forward" one, but I have nothing to compare to.

I have read some of the guides people have generously provided here;
FYI basic guide to IEM
Buying guide for newbies
Describing sound glossary

I realize I'm likely asking you to explain something that can only be demonstrated, but if you can provide any clarity or help at all, I would greatly appreciate sorting all this out.  And if properly understanding these terms requires a disposable income comparable to the GDP of Nicaragua, then I will amiably let the matter drop.

Aug 13, 2010 at 8:49 PM Post #24 of 26

Quote:
Mr. Addict,

Thank you for this review as well as your NE-7M review

I am looking to upgrade my IEMs to something with better isolation (& hopefully better sound).  I had been considering the Soundmagic PL-50 due to a Mr. Joker's glowing review of them.  However, I am planning on mating them to an Android phone (not yet purchased) & since no one is designing phones any longer w/external buttons (absurd) I need something that will provide some level of music control.  In my price range the only 2 options I have come across are the Maximo HS5 & the Nuforce NE-7M.

Not being an audiophile myself, I was wondering if you (or anyone) could elucidate some of your comparisons of these 2 IEMs for someone who does not know the language or have a proper frame of reference. 

You state:

Pardon my ignorance, but music detail (analytic often being mentioned synonymously) as well as smoothness/musicality both seem to be attributes I would like in a headset, yet in reading this forum I find these are often contradictory characteristics in various IEMs.  Which is more desirable?  Benefits/drawbacks of each?  I listen to a relatively wide range of musical styles so I would like something well rounded & balanced.  I don't want to fool with an amp.  I imagine I would prefer a more "laid back" headset to a "more energetic & forward" one, but I have nothing to compare to.

I have read some of the guides people have generously provided here;
FYI basic guide to IEM
Buying guide for newbies
Describing sound glossary

I realize I'm likely asking you to explain something that can only be demonstrated, but if you can provide any clarity or help at all, I would greatly appreciate sorting all this out.  And if properly understanding these terms requires a disposable income comparable to the GDP of Nicaragua, then I will amiably let the matter drop.

The NE-7M are not veiled, but they don't put the music under a microscope either.  The NE-7M would be more smooth like an Senneheiser, while the Maximo would be more defined or sharper in details like a Grado.  It's really something you need to try to understand.  Personally I tend to like the NE-7M's "laid back" sound a little more, but I gave them to my nephew since I use the triple fi 10 pro vi for iPhone calls.  I keep the Maximo in the car as a spare in case I forget the TF10, and I still have an NE-6 that I enjoy sometimes. 

Aug 14, 2010 at 8:51 PM Post #25 of 26
Thank you for the reply.  It sounds like it's something I need to hear for myself.  And it seems you would recommend the Nuforce over the Maximo, which is good because I was leaning that way anyway.

Aug 15, 2010 at 1:16 AM Post #26 of 26

Quote:
Thank you for the reply.  It sounds like it's something I need to hear for myself.  And it seems you would recommend the Nuforce over the Maximo, which is good because I was leaning that way anyway.

That's just a personal preference, I like the Maximo as a budget iPhone headset, but it's just not my favorite.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back