REVIEW: Matrix Cube DAC
Feb 11, 2012 at 1:48 PM Post #121 of 142
Well, I just bought me one of these... 
cool.gif
 So now I'm even more interested in this thread and opamp rolling, especially when my Cube arrives! 
rolleyes.gif

Feb 11, 2012 at 6:06 PM Post #122 of 142

Quote:
Does opamp rolling on the Cube require any adapter, or is it a straight swap?

Depends on the opamp and if its a single or dual chip. Single chips need the adaptor and a pair of the chip (one per channel). Some adaptors require soldering while others are plug and play. Which one you get depends on the version of the opamp you buy. Duals do not need anything and are a straight swap.

For example, the popular OPA627 and AD979 are singles so you'll need a set of them. 

Feb 12, 2012 at 6:59 PM Post #123 of 142
Ok, I know nothing about electronics and opamps, but the fact that opamp rolling gives the possibility to change the sound it produces, I very interesting. I might give this opamp rolling business a try, if it isn't too complicated to perform... 
rolleyes.gif

For those of you who rolled opamps on your Cube, can you tell which ones are your favourites and why (what do they change in the sound)? Oh, and if they're a straight swap or if they need adapter...

Thanks! 
wink.gif

Feb 19, 2012 at 2:03 PM Post #124 of 142
My Matrix Cube finally arrived, and I'm enjoying it! 
cool.gif

Can anyone who has a Cube with socketed opamps tell if mine, with serial number 201105008, is supposed to have those as well (based on yours SN)? I don't want to open it up just yet, as mine has a warranty seal on one side, but I'm a bit curious and it would be nice to know... 
rolleyes.gif

Thanks.

Feb 19, 2012 at 5:55 PM Post #126 of 142
Yes, I know that, but if somehow I could know if my Cube allows opamp rolling without breaking the seal, based on it's serial number, it'd be great, don't you think? 
wink.gif

At least, this would prevent me from voiding it's warranty for no reason, if mine doesn't allow opamp rolling... 
rolleyes.gif

Quote:
If you plan on opamp rolling you'll be breaking the seal anyway. 
wink.gif
 Haven't taken a peek inside yet myself.

Feb 20, 2012 at 11:30 AM Post #127 of 142
I bought mine over a year ago and it allows for opamp rolling so I'm sure yours does as well.

I really wouldn't worry about them voiding your warranty because of a broken seal, especially from matrix/tam audio.

Feb 20, 2012 at 12:37 PM Post #128 of 142
Quote:
I bought mine over a year ago and it allows for opamp rolling so I'm sure yours does as well.

I really wouldn't worry about them voiding your warranty because of a broken seal, especially from matrix/tam audio.

Thanks for your answer, clams! BTW, what's your opinion about the following: 

Quote:
For those of you who rolled opamps on your Cube, can you tell which ones are your favourites and why (what do they change in the sound)? Oh, and if they're a straight swap or if they need adapter...

Thanks! 
wink.gif

Nov 2, 2012 at 4:32 PM Post #129 of 142
Quote:

I am also interested. Can anyone share their experience with this?

Nov 3, 2012 at 3:18 AM Post #130 of 142
I had a Cube a few months ago. I suggest starting with OPA627, LM4562NA, and AD797. A quick search will inform you whether you need an adapter - if the opamp is single you will need a dual adapter.

Nov 4, 2012 at 3:24 PM Post #131 of 142
Quote:
I had a Cube a few months ago. I suggest starting with OPA627, LM4562NA, and AD797. A quick search will inform you whether you need an adapter - if the opamp is single you will need a dual adapter.

Thanks, Rictee. Ordered a LM4562NA and an OPA2227PA.

And a LME49722MA.

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2012 at 5:38 PM Post #132 of 142
Opamp rolling rocks
darthsmile.gif
. Using OPA2227PA instead of standard OPA2134PA. Begone harshness & welcome balanced analoge sound.

Nov 9, 2012 at 10:52 AM Post #134 of 142
http://hbe-shop.de. They send in Germany only. http://www.digikey.com/ is a populair international shop.

Nov 9, 2012 at 11:00 AM Post #135 of 142
Quote:
http://hbe-shop.de. They send in Germany only. http://www.digikey.com/ is a populair international shop.

Thanks. The problem is that Digikey charges me 18 EURO of shipping for a 4 EURO opamp! I can find them on eBay from sellers in China, but I'm not sure if they're original or fake...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back