REVIEW: Matrix Cube DAC
Dec 17, 2011 at 1:26 PM Post #107 of 142
Trying to decide between the Cube and Audinst. My headphones are easy to run so its just the DAC that i'm looking at. So get the Cube and live with it or buy the Audinst then upgrade to the Mstage or Asgard amp when i get better cans and just use the Audinst DAC. Recommendations?

Has anyone else found the Cube does not go well with Beyer cans? Was looking at the DT250 as my next pair and have DT440 atm so bit concerned they may not suit.

Jan 6, 2012 at 2:06 PM Post #111 of 142

Quote:
Any new owners of this DAC? I just ordered one yesterday. Also, what's everyone's opinion on ASRC? Should it be switched on or off?

I got a Cube for Christmas two weeks ago. Thanks to project86 for his advice earlier by the way. It's my first DAC/amp so not too much to say, but I've been enjoying it very much so far. I pretty much just keep ASRC on all the time. I think project86 described it well in his review. The biggest difference that I can hear is the soundstage.

Feb 4, 2012 at 9:04 AM Post #112 of 142
I'm trying to decide between this Matrix Cube and the new Audio-gd NFB-12.1, as I'm looking for a DAC+amp in this price range... I'm not shure if anyone already had the opportunity to compare them both yet, but since the Cube allows opamp rolling (since the last PCB revision), I think it's a better option for me. The NFB-12.1 allows "9 types digital filter users setting" but I'm not shure this will be a real advantage for me... 
confused.gif

Feb 9, 2012 at 2:14 AM Post #113 of 142

Quote:
I'm trying to decide between this Matrix Cube and the new Audio-gd NFB-12.1, as I'm looking for a DAC+amp in this price range... I'm not shure if anyone already had the opportunity to compare them both yet, but since the Cube allows opamp rolling (since the last PCB revision), I think it's a better option for me. The NFB-12.1 allows "9 types digital filter users setting" but I'm not shure this will be a real advantage for me... 
confused.gif

I'm in the same boat, but add the U100 and Audinst HUD-Mx1 to the list.  Though U100 and Audinst HUD-Mx1 are on the bottom of my list since I'm a bit of a sucker for the gain switch on the others, the upsampling on the Cube and all the crazy tweakability on the NFB 12.1.  I think I'm leaning towards the Cube since it seems a little more compact for my work desk and project86 seems to favor it slightly over the others.  Also I'd like to get an M-stage some point down the road, and it seems to be a good pairing and easy upgrade.  Crazy how much competition has come up in this category in the year since I made my initial headphone purchase.  And I thought THAT was a hard choice.

Feb 9, 2012 at 4:40 AM Post #115 of 142
I believe that both the MX1 and the U100 are a bit bellow the Cube and the NFB-12.1 in terms of performance and features. My choice will be just between those two. Both offer the possibility to "tailor" the sound, the NFB-12.1 with it's filters, and the Cube with opamp swap. Even the price for both is the same (for me, with delivery included)! Choices, choices... 
rolleyes.gif

Quote:

I'm in the same boat, but add the U100 and Audinst HUD-Mx1 to the list.  Though U100 and Audinst HUD-Mx1 are on the bottom of my list since I'm a bit of a sucker for the gain switch on the others, the upsampling on the Cube and all the crazy tweakability on the NFB 12.1.  I think I'm leaning towards the Cube since it seems a little more compact for my work desk and project86 seems to favor it slightly over the others.  Also I'd like to get an M-stage some point down the road, and it seems to be a good pairing and easy upgrade.  Crazy how much competition has come up in this category in the year since I made my initial headphone purchase.  And I thought THAT was a hard choice.

Well, in my case not by aestehtics alone, but the size of the Cube is very favourable for the place I intented to put it, and might be something that will help me choose it... 
wink.gif

When all else fails, I just choose on aesthetics. 
evil_smiley.gif

Feb 9, 2012 at 5:28 AM Post #116 of 142

Quote:
Has anyone else found the Cube does not go well with Beyer cans? Was looking at the DT250 as my next pair and have DT440 atm so bit concerned they may not suit.

I too would like to know this.  Was thinking of getting a DT880 but then read project86's review specifically about it not matching well in the AMP section.. big put off :frowning2: 

Feb 9, 2012 at 8:14 PM Post #118 of 142

Quote:
rictee, I read some posts back that you were rolling opamps in your Cube! Do you have any more new findings/suggestions about this matter? 
rolleyes.gif

Right now I've sort of settled for a OPA627 and LM4562NA in phone-out.  Highly recommended.  Wider soundstage, amazing clarity & detail.  Sometimes I swap to AD797 for more low-end impact & crazy amounts of detail (eg. when watching movies).

Feb 9, 2012 at 9:18 PM Post #119 of 142

Quote:

Right now I've sort of settled for a OPA627 and LM4562NA in phone-out.  Highly recommended.  Wider soundstage, amazing clarity & detail.  Sometimes I swap to AD797 for more low-end impact & crazy amounts of detail (eg. when watching movies).

Is it the OPA627 in the I/V stage? Which OPA in the IVA stage is warmer?

Feb 10, 2012 at 7:49 AM Post #120 of 142
Does opamp rolling on the Cube require any adapter, or is it a straight swap?

Quote:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back