REVIEW: Matrix Cube DAC
Mar 28, 2011 at 6:12 PM Post #76 of 142
I didn't mean to be hard on the Cube for the USB performance.... Sorry if it read that way. In the actual review post, I tried to be clear that it sounded quite good over USB, and I couldn't tell the difference between that and SPDIF.  

I've never heard the USB version of the Lehmann, but I'm glad you like it. Don't let what you read around here influence you too much - if you like it, then you like it. That's it.

I don't know what might be causing the clicking. Clicking between songs could be something to do with the loss and then re-acquiring of a signal. But if it is only at the beginning then I'm not sure. Is it a click over your headphones, or an actual click coming from inside the case itself?

Mar 29, 2011 at 6:23 AM Post #77 of 142
Purely based on the DAC, does this sound better than the Yulong U100 over USB? Project86 allready gave me some very nice adivce but I think I didn't specify I would only use it over USB.

Also, any Cube owners that have experience with a Xonar Essence ST(X)? I would like to know how both DACs compare.

Mar 29, 2011 at 10:44 AM Post #79 of 142

Quote:
Purely based on the DAC, does this sound better than the Yulong U100 over USB? Project86 allready gave me some very nice adivce but I think I didn't specify I would only use it over USB.

Also, any Cube owners that have experience with a Xonar Essence ST(X)? I would like to know how both DACs compare.

I don't think it matters if you are using USB or SPDIF. As strictly a DAC I'd say they are pretty close. The Cube is a little warmer or focused on the bottom end, and the U100 a little more sparkly or upper mid/highs oriented. But the differences are pretty small. Haven't heard the Xonar stuff though so I can't compare, sorry. 

Quote:

Actual clicks coming from inside the case itself. BTW my Oppo is the one that clicks between tracks.

Very strange! There must be some relays involved. Do you get any audio drop-outs? 

Jul 5, 2011 at 1:06 PM Post #80 of 142
Hi project86, great reviews and cool avatar =]  After reading all your DAC/Amp reviews I have a couple queries, it's all kinda confusing when you can't actually hear any of them, so far I've crossed the audinst and D100 off my list due to a lack of analog input (from my daps and pcdp's etc.) so now I'm left with the U100 and Matrix Cube, I'll be using an ATH-A2000X headphone and various IEM's.  The U100 seems to fulfill my basic requirements and supports 24/96 via USB, whereas the Matrix Cube doesn't have 24/96 USB however it has other extra novelties like good for surround sound movies and the upsampling feature, so now I'm left with the following unresolved throught process regarding this...

I know this might be difficult to answer, but basically I'm curious whether the upsampling featured in the Matrix Cube is just a novelty, or can it actually improve the sound quality of  regular CD's and mp3's in a unique aspect..?  For example, if you listen to everything upsampled, and then move on to using a different high-end amp without this feature, does some part of you itch for the upsampling, or do the higher end amps produce normal/low resolution music on a level of sound quality that surpasses all aspects of sound offered via the upsampling?

And finally, how does the headphone-out on the Matrix Cube compare to the HO on the Yulong U100?

Edit:  Just to clarify I've noticed that you've compared the U100 and Cube in your U100 review and you think the Cube wins in soundstage and sounding more warm and musical, but it looked like you were only covering the DAC section there, purely comparing HO... does the Cube still win or are they equal contenders there?

Looking forward to your thoughts on this =]

Kind Regards,

/kiteki

Sep 15, 2011 at 5:21 PM Post #81 of 142
I'm also trying to decide between the Cube and the yulong U100, so if anyone that heard both could reply the question above by kiteki that would be very helpful! I don't need all the outputs the Cube offers and the U100 accepts 24/96... if the difference between the DAC portion of both is really that small I would definitely go for the yulong, since it's 70 dollars cheaper!

Sep 27, 2011 at 3:59 AM Post #82 of 142

Hi, thank you so much for the review 
beerchug.gif

Yesterday I got my Matrix Cube .. and I like it .. very nice and rugged build quality, tons of inputs/outputs & good looks too.

I just have a question regarding the OPA2134 which seems to be swappable .. correct me if I am wrong ..

What is the absolute best upgrade from it if this is possible ?

I am not familiar with Opamps 
frown.gif

Sep 27, 2011 at 10:16 AM Post #83 of 142

I actually found that the Cube is pretty inadequete with IEMs. The volume pot is not sensitive enough and there is channel imbalance. Once I turn it up to levels where it is no longer imbalanced, the sound happens to be loud. Works great with all my full size headphones though.
Quote:
Hi project86, great reviews and cool avatar =]  After reading all your DAC/Amp reviews I have a couple queries, it's all kinda confusing when you can't actually hear any of them, so far I've crossed the audinst and D100 off my list due to a lack of analog input (from my daps and pcdp's etc.) so now I'm left with the U100 and Matrix Cube, I'll be using an ATH-A2000X headphone and various IEM's.  The U100 seems to fulfill my basic requirements and supports 24/96 via USB, whereas the Matrix Cube doesn't have 24/96 USB however it has other extra novelties like good for surround sound movies and the upsampling feature, so now I'm left with the following unresolved throught process regarding this...

I know this might be difficult to answer, but basically I'm curious whether the upsampling featured in the Matrix Cube is just a novelty, or can it actually improve the sound quality of  regular CD's and mp3's in a unique aspect..?  For example, if you listen to everything upsampled, and then move on to using a different high-end amp without this feature, does some part of you itch for the upsampling, or do the higher end amps produce normal/low resolution music on a level of sound quality that surpasses all aspects of sound offered via the upsampling?

And finally, how does the headphone-out on the Matrix Cube compare to the HO on the Yulong U100?

Edit:  Just to clarify I've noticed that you've compared the U100 and Cube in your U100 review and you think the Cube wins in soundstage and sounding more warm and musical, but it looked like you were only covering the DAC section there, purely comparing HO... does the Cube still win or are they equal contenders there?

Looking forward to your thoughts on this =]

Kind Regards,

/kiteki

Sep 27, 2011 at 1:40 PM Post #84 of 142

Quote:
I'm also trying to decide between the Cube and the yulong U100, so if anyone that heard both could reply the question above by kiteki that would be very helpful! I don't need all the outputs the Cube offers and the U100 accepts 24/96... if the difference between the DAC portion of both is really that small I would definitely go for the yulong, since it's 70 dollars cheaper!

I do think that the Cube is warmer overall, with a slightly less detailed but more musical sound. Some people have complained about issues with the U100 though so I'd make sure to only buy from a good seller, just in case. The one I gave to my nephew is still working just fine according to him, so it must just be a few of them that had issues, but still worth thinking about.

Quote:

Hi, thank you so much for the review 
beerchug.gif

Yesterday I got my Matrix Cube .. and I like it .. very nice and rugged build quality, tons of inputs/outputs & good looks too.

I just have a question regarding the OPA2134 which seems to be swappable .. correct me if I am wrong ..

What is the absolute best upgrade from it if this is possible ?

I am not familiar with Opamps 
frown.gif

I don't believe mine has any socketed opamps. Maybe they have done a revision since then? Do you have a picture of it? 

Quote:
I actually found that the Cube is pretty inadequete with IEMs. The volume pot is not sensitive enough and there is channel imbalance. Once I turn it up to levels where it is no longer imbalanced, the sound happens to be loud. Works great with all my full size headphones though.

Interesting. Mine is great with IEMs, no balance issues or static. I guess I have good luck with these sorts of things, I rarely get the problems with volume pots that others do (although my Audinst HUD-mx1 has developed some static recently). 

Sep 27, 2011 at 5:11 PM Post #85 of 142
Sorry for the delay, I had some issues with my camera 

I hope these are convenient ..

Sep 27, 2011 at 5:41 PM Post #86 of 142
Yep, they must have done a revision and changed that. Here is a pic of mine:

Not the best shot but you can see that the opamps are flat on the board and directly soldered. 

I don't know if you purchased from JTAM, but he is a good resource to ask about opamp swapping. He sells the LM4562 for a low price, and it is considered to be quite good by most people, so you might give that a try. 

Sep 27, 2011 at 5:57 PM Post #87 of 142
Yes, I have seen your pics .. but had to make sure .. 

I purchased it from tamaudio.com .. shipped within 2 weeks .. I paid 290$ total 

After ordering my unit, I read some debate about it on the other thread when leeprry said it's not worth it (the opamp) ,, but when I got mine ,, the first thing I done was looking inside the unit.

I was shocked and happy to see sockets instead of  soldering .. I contacted matrix technologies Admin about it ,, I told him I am a headfier .. but he didn't reply .. still waiting.

Thanks for the links .. do you have any idea about the socket at the front near the gain control knob? I mean this could be upgradable?

Sep 27, 2011 at 6:15 PM Post #88 of 142
First off - matrixtechnologies.net is NOT the manufacturer website. They are just another reseller who copies pictures and descriptions from JTAM (and probably from my reviews for all I know). So don't bother with them.

I won't talk about LeePerry and his opinions - he has the right to them just like we all do. My view is that I don't necessarily need a $20 opamp when a much cheaper one will do the job just fine in the circuit that it is in. And I do like the sound of the Cube so that's all that matters. But socketed opamps are ALWAYS welcome just in case.

The LM833 is used in the headphone output. It is probably the reason why the Cube amp is warm and forgiving at the expense of some detail. Changing it will likely give you a very different sound, possibly for the better but there's no guarantee. It's worth a shot though!

Sep 27, 2011 at 6:58 PM Post #89 of 142
Oh, so that website is not the manufacturer's after all.

I know Leeprry is an extremer in his opinions ,, but we have to read all peoples opinions to decide ,,  your "detailed, illustrated and informative" review and a recommendation from MalVeauX had me in.

I am reading this fantastic article .. it might help my decision.. 

I will buy 2  opamps just out of curiosity and DIY fun .. and for comparison. 

Sep 27, 2011 at 9:53 PM Post #90 of 142

Does changing the opamp in the I/V stage affect the DAC or just the headphone out only?
Quote:
First off - matrixtechnologies.net is NOT the manufacturer website. They are just another reseller who copies pictures and descriptions from JTAM (and probably from my reviews for all I know). So don't bother with them.

I won't talk about LeePerry and his opinions - he has the right to them just like we all do. My view is that I don't necessarily need a $20 opamp when a much cheaper one will do the job just fine in the circuit that it is in. And I do like the sound of the Cube so that's all that matters. But socketed opamps are ALWAYS welcome just in case.

The LM833 is used in the headphone output. It is probably the reason why the Cube amp is warm and forgiving at the expense of some detail. Changing it will likely give you a very different sound, possibly for the better but there's no guarantee. It's worth a shot though!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back