REVIEW: Low-end Grado comparison (SR-60i, 80, MS-1)
Feb 23, 2010 at 5:20 PM Post #46 of 53
"The 60i’s have a little more treble, but it’s definitely a lot smoother than the 60’s is. The different emphases in these ‘phones really lend them different characters. Vocals are better on the 60i’s, but guitars are better on the 60’s (crazy). I’m also surprised that the 60i’s definitely have far better instrumental separation than the 60’s and I would say the 60i’s are cleaner overall."

Are you basically saying that the 60i has less lower treble and more top end extension? Air and separation are usually helped by more upper treble. Then less lower treble gives a less aggressive smoother sound. I heard the sr60is really quick and your thoughts seem to mirror mine even listening for only around 5 minutes.

Feb 23, 2010 at 5:36 PM Post #47 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by donunus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
"The 60i’s have a little more treble, but it’s definitely a lot smoother than the 60’s is. The different emphases in these ‘phones really lend them different characters. Vocals are better on the 60i’s, but guitars are better on the 60’s (crazy). I’m also surprised that the 60i’s definitely have far better instrumental separation than the 60’s and I would say the 60i’s are cleaner overall."

Are you basically saying that the 60i has less lower treble and more top end extension? Air and separation are usually helped by more upper treble. Then less lower treble gives a less aggressive smoother sound. I heard the sr60is really quick and your thoughts seem to mirror mine even listening for only around 5 minutes.

Sure, that sounds about right.

Feb 23, 2010 at 6:33 PM Post #48 of 53
My first Grado was the SR80i a year ago, just when the 'i' upgrades came out. I had them for 3 months, and then decided to try the MS1i to compare and keep the one I liked best. I compared them both with bowls, as I immediately did not care for what the comfy pads did to the sound of either the SR80 or MS1i (made the bass boomy and muffled to me).

After both had at least 60-80 hours on them, I began comparing them (both with Fiio E5 - cheap but decent) on music I knew by heart. To my ears, the bass extension and impact on the MS1i was better. The treble extension was better and much smoother on the MS1i, as well. The SR80i treble sounded a bit gritty and grainy, and the 3-5K range was a bit more controlled, more natural sounding on the MS1i.

To me, the minimal price difference between the SR80i to MS1i fully justifies the improvement of the MS1i.

Feb 23, 2010 at 7:45 PM Post #49 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by kmhaynes /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My first Grado was the SR80i a year ago, just when the 'i' upgrades came out. I had them for 3 months, and then decided to try the MS1i to compare and keep the one I liked best. I compared them both with bowls, as I immediately did not care for what the comfy pads did to the sound of either the SR80 or MS1i (made the bass boomy and muffled to me).

After both had at least 60-80 hours on them, I began comparing them (both with Fiio E5 - cheap but decent) on music I knew by heart. To my ears, the bass extension and impact on the MS1i was better. The treble extension was better and much smoother on the MS1i, as well. The SR80i treble sounded a bit gritty and grainy, and the 3-5K range was a bit more controlled, more natural sounding on the MS1i.

To me, the minimal price difference between the SR80i to MS1i fully justifies the improvement of the MS1i.

What genres are you listening to?

Feb 23, 2010 at 8:57 PM Post #50 of 53
Ermm a 3 year old wearing headphones? I doubt they will car if you put skullcandy on their head. Wouldn't a 3 year old have a bad affect to their hearing by wearing headphones at such a young age? I personally find it irresponsible, letting such a young person blast their ears out, but each to his own.

Feb 23, 2010 at 9:05 PM Post #51 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by stang /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ermm a 3 year old wearing headphones? I doubt they will car if you put skullcandy on their head. Wouldn't a 3 year old have a bad affect to their hearing by wearing headphones at such a young age? I personally find it irresponsible, letting such a young person blast their ears out, but each to his own.

Yeahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, usually I don't use open phones and just put IEMs in his ears and crank it.
wink.gif

I control volume, not him, not sure why you would assume otherwise, or that I am subjecting him to inappropriate volume levels. Fostering a love of music for those at a young age seems like a thoughtful rather than hurtful thing to do.

Feb 23, 2010 at 9:09 PM Post #52 of 53
Well I sure hope he doesn't
biggrin.gif
I just personally think that it can damage their hearing because they are so young and little and still vastly growing. Surely it must have some affect on their hearing?

Feb 26, 2010 at 5:44 PM Post #53 of 53
Have you hung around a baby with colic, or any baby for taht matter. they scream there own head of at massive DB levels LOL.

It is a fact the more words/language a child hears from 1-3, directly proportional with the creation of neural connections.

No hard feelings, your perspective is one I truly never entertained.

dc

Users who are viewing this thread

Back