REVIEW: Lars Audio DAC1 MKII
Jun 19, 2011 at 12:46 PM Post #16 of 46
What about the weight?

Do you like how AIC sound with this dac?

Jun 20, 2011 at 1:22 AM Post #18 of 46
Jun 20, 2011 at 9:11 AM Post #19 of 46

Quote:
I just added the DAC in the head gear section.

Thanks, I knew I was forgetting something. I filled out the little review form and added a link to this thread. I've got an email in to Gigawork to try and find out why it is not listed for sale right now. We'll see what they say.

Jun 20, 2011 at 2:44 PM Post #20 of 46
I heard back from Gigawork already - that was fast! Apparently they just sold the last of these MKII versions, and are going to release a new MKIII soon. Should have a different PCB layout and some parts changed. I don't know the specific details but they used the term "lift your audio experience to a new level". The model I have is already very good for the price, so I'm curious how they can top that. 

Jun 20, 2011 at 4:20 PM Post #21 of 46
Good thing you got a reply since  Gigawork  did not answer my e-mail on the same question. My guess is that there is a newer [size=x-small]DIY [/size] out that Giawork may use in the LARS mkIII

Jun 20, 2011 at 4:55 PM Post #22 of 46

Quote:
Good thing you got a reply since  Gigawork  did not answer my e-mail on the same question. My guess is that there is a newer [size=x-small]DIY [/size] out that Giawork may use in the LARS mkIII

During my exchanges with Ian from Gigawork he usually answered very fast, but occasionally it took a few days. 

You might be correct about the MKIII though. They do have multiple pre-assembled DAC boards on their eBay store. One has a TI CM1798, another has dual Wolfson WM8740 chips. But those are all lower in price than the CS4398 kit that is similar to the Lars DAC. So I guess we will have to wait and see. 

Jun 20, 2011 at 7:15 PM Post #23 of 46
[size=medium]On EBay there is a newer CS4398 kit that looks at first very similar to the old version but I noticed from your pictures on your unit and the same on EBay the old version are using 3300 filter caps and the new version are using 4700 caps instead. At this point I cannot tell what the other changes are. Looking for a second DAC and I do not really need a headphone amp or USB to drive my little Dot. I currently using the Behringer SRC2496 which does a better job than my Juli@ card analog outputs on my PC. [/size]

Jun 21, 2011 at 4:17 AM Post #24 of 46

Quote:
I heard back from Gigawork already - that was fast! Apparently they just sold the last of these MKII versions, and are going to release a new MKIII soon. Should have a different PCB layout and some parts changed. I don't know the specific details but they used the term "lift your audio experience to a new level". The model I have is already very good for the price, so I'm curious how they can top that. 

Interesting, after all that's good news.

Jun 21, 2011 at 10:07 AM Post #25 of 46

Quote:
[size=medium]On EBay there is a newer CS4398 kit that looks at first very similar to the old version but I noticed from your pictures on your unit and the same on EBay the old version are using 3300 filter caps and the new version are using 4700 caps instead. At this point I cannot tell what the other changes are. Looking for a second DAC and I do not really need a headphone amp or USB to drive my little Dot. I currently using the Behringer SRC2496 which does a better job than my Juli@ card analog outputs on my PC. [/size]

Yeah I was just noticing that kit. It appears to have Nichicon 4700s, where mine has Nippon Chemi-Con 3300s. The other differences are TI DIR9001 instead of CS8416 receiver (an improvement in my opinion) and a different DAC chip (but it's modular so it doesn't really matter). I think the MKIII that was being talked about will be something more of a change than these few components. 

Jun 22, 2011 at 5:28 AM Post #26 of 46
Great review.

I own the same Lars DAC though my casing is slightly different from yours. The board and DAC implementation is the same.

However, I've had the upsampling card stop working TWICE. All happened when I was burning in the DAC. 70 hours in.

I sent it back to Hong Kong and they identified the problem and returned it. Then it happened again after another 50 hours. This time, I was asked to isolate the issue. The DAC works without the upsampling card. So I removed it and used the DAC till then sent a new card.

All is well. Good value!

Jun 22, 2011 at 7:17 AM Post #27 of 46
Can you give us some pictures?

Jun 22, 2011 at 9:29 AM Post #28 of 46

Quote:
Great review.

I own the same Lars DAC though my casing is slightly different from yours. The board and DAC implementation is the same.

However, I've had the upsampling card stop working TWICE. All happened when I was burning in the DAC. 70 hours in.

I sent it back to Hong Kong and they identified the problem and returned it. Then it happened again after another 50 hours. This time, I was asked to isolate the issue. The DAC works without the upsampling card. So I removed it and used the DAC till then sent a new card.

All is well. Good value!

I too am interested in pictures of your alternate case, if you get a chance at some point.

That's good service from Gigawork. I guess the somewhat modular design has several benefits.

Jun 24, 2011 at 5:29 AM Post #29 of 46

Quote:
I too am interested in pictures of your alternate case, if you get a chance at some point.

That's good service from Gigawork. I guess the somewhat modular design has several benefits.

I'm overseas and away from my rig till Aug/Sep...will send pics when I get back! I bought mine in April 2010.

I have a pic of the board from when I was trying to isolate the problem:
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/714/gigawork.jpg/

To be honest, the upsampling card breaking twice makes me wary of buying again. It's such a hassle each time (gotta send it and wait for it to come back). So much so I leave the top plate with the screws out in case I need to replace something! 

Build issue was OK but from memory, some of the exposed wiring from the transformer could have had some shrinkwrap put around it (it might have cause a short when it touched the internal of the case).

Sep 17, 2011 at 12:10 PM Post #30 of 46
I'm back with some short listening impressions as I promissed a while back. I'm very happy with the DAC, the words that came into my mind when I first listened to it were from the project86's review, I really felt the 'analog flow' in my music. I'm very happy with the unit, tested it with several different amps and computers (only via USB) and it works perfectly. The sound feels rich and full, the lows are beautiful, and overall I think the unit is well worth the price, it's a shame they don't sell it anymore on ebay, I'm still waiting for its successor to show up for sale.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back